New brake recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I recently visited a NTB and while they rotated my tires, they took a Look at my brakes. I almost have 120,000 miles on my car with the factory brakes and they agreed they should be replaced. My only issue is that they wanted almost 1000 for new pads, rotors, and rear shoes and equipment. I want try and do this on my own but do not have space as I live In an apartment which has strict rules about any car maintenance. Does anybody have recommendations on places to go? I am in Lexington KY until the end of the summer.

Thanks and sorry for the long post

Are you sure you need new rotors? I got over 200,000 on my Honda. The rotors are probably the biggest piece of the $1000.

According to NTB I do, I honestly don't know enough about brakes to determine that. I don't hear any squealing and still have plenty of braking power, but I would still like to have at least the pads replaced within the next few month as I would rather be safe.

The fronts are easy to do on your own if you know someone who has some knowledge. I got rotors and pads online for about 100$ for the fronts. My back drums are still good apparently, so id also double check your back brakes if they are drums. Ive replaced brakes twice on mine since i got it..and the pads were already different from oem when i got the car..so considering you likely drive it easy I have a feeling they might be jumping the gun on the rear shoes, they might be still good. If you have it done for you, might be good to consider flushing the brake fluid too.

PS. Guessing you dont know anyone with a driveway? Personally, ask around and try to find a well respected honest indy mechanic. Might be your best bet.

Last edited:
I have a friend at work who is rebuilding an old car, so I may ask for his help... so new question- if I need them, any recommendations on rotors/pads?

Thanks!

Fronts aren't too bad the rear drums likely don't need replaced. Drums on the rear will usually last 2 or 3 sets of front disc. Find a good honest independent car mechanic and they should fix you up for $300-400. Even better find a friend in Lexington that knows how to work on brakes and has some driveway space to let you use. Front pads and rotors if needed should be $100-$150 at worst. If you use lower end pads and rotors might be able to do it for around $50.

Measure the rotor thickness... many rotors can easily go two sets of pads, but shop will often just replace both.

And did they actually remove a rear drum to visibly check the brake shoes... or are they just saying do both . Rear brakes usually last twice as long, or longer, than fronts....

$1,000 for brakes on your Yaris??!!?? You could go to the Toyota dealer and get new OEM brake parts and have your friend at work show you how to do them. The fronts are super easy. The rears being shoes aren't as easy, but worth learning how to do.

First, you need to find a good independent garage(or your friend(s)) to inspect the brake system to determine exactly which part(s) of the system is needed to be replaced/repaired.

If the shop okay with you bring in the parts then either buy it from Amazon or Rockauto (compare the total price from these two).

You may end up with no more than $100-150 for parts and possibly less than $150-200 for labor. So the total could be no more than $300-350. Now if your friend helps you replacing bake part(s), then your labor cost may be a case or two good beer.

Often a shop will "eyeball..." the pads , and if they are even 1/2 worn , recommend replacement...when they could go much much longer safely.

Most front disc brakes also have a wear indicator built in, a small piece of sheet metal that will touch the rotor when the pads are getting low. This indicator will make a nasty screechy squeally sound letting you know to check your brakes ASAP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
First, you need to find a good independent garage(or your friend(s)) to inspect the brake system to determine exactly which part(s) of the system is needed to be replaced/repaired.

If the shop okay with you bring in the parts then either buy it from Amazon or Rockauto (compare the total price from these two).

You may end up with no more than $100-150 for parts and possibly less than $150-200 for labor. So the total could be no more than $300-350. Now if your friend helps you replacing bake part(s), then your labor cost may be a case or two good beer.

+1

Do this and you'll likely be a happy camper with some great new brakes.

I'd be surprised if you needed new rear shoes or front rotors. Rear drum brakes usually last a LONG time. Last year I traded in a 2001 Odyssey with 244k on the original shoes and rotors. The xB in my sig also has the originals at 165k.

I like the Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads.

Perhaps you could find a mechanic who doesn't mind if you supply the parts, and then buy them at Rock Auto or Amazon. You can probably save 50% or more on the parts if you do it that way. However, the shop will probably not warranty the job if they use parts you supply.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I like the Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads.

Perhaps you could find a mechanic who doesn't mind if you supply the parts, and then buy them at Rock Auto or Amazon. You can probably save 50% or more on the parts if you do it that way. However, the shop will probably not warranty the job if they use parts you supply.

And the thermoquiets have a nice rebate right now - got fronts and rears for my civic for $18 total to the door after rebate (Rock Auto).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back