Cutting small threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to replace a threaded post in an old alarm clock. It's not the clock I just showed in the Garage Sale Finds thread, by the way. After some fiddly measuring work, I determined the threads to be 00-80. I bought a 1/16" diameter brass rod and a 00-80 die and a 3/16" die stock. I cut a length of rod, rounded off both ends for the die to better bite, secured the rod in a vise, and I sucessfully cut the threads. These are the smallest threads I've ever cut.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
You probably could get a nicer looking thread if you lubed it before cutting it.

I did lube the rod and cutting edges, but since I have no experience in cutting tiny threads I'm happy for a first try. I also didn't really clean the theads well before snapping the picture. Doesn't matter how it looks, because the post is hidden inside the clock. On the other hand, I still have almost 2 feet of brass rod on which to practice some more. Maybe I will lose sleep over this now!

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Mitch
go for 000-160 next

I'd love to see the tools watchmakers use for scratchmaking parts. Getting the skills to use those tools is another kettle of fish.

hotwheels

Good job and thank God you keep your hands and fingernails well groomed with those close-ups! Ever watch Pawn Stars when they do a close-up of Rick's hand(s)?
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back