2005 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 with 116,000 miles and new timing chains.

The truck has been making valve train noise which was diagnosed by Ford as wear and that performance of the truck is not effected.

I currently use 5w30 oil however I head that running 10w30 will help quiet the engine.

Can i make the switch? I know about the weather and how it effects the thicker oil.

Thanks!

Hmm, I thought Ford finally fixed the timing chain issue prior to 2005?
I would go for a HM (high mileage) 5W30 which is typically a higher viscosity oil. Try Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: Tyleryac
I have a 2005 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 with 116,000 miles and new timing chains.

The truck has been making valve train noise which was diagnosed by Ford as wear and that performance of the truck is not effected.

I currently use 5w30 oil however I head that running 10w30 will help quiet the engine.

Can i make the switch? I know about the weather and how it effects the thicker oil.

Thanks!

Did you get new timing chain cassettes? That was the problem with the 4.0. Of course many of the replacement cassettes were the same poor quality ones. My wife traded in her 2002 4.0 Explorer with the timing chain cassette problem for a 2005 4.6 V-8 Explorer. She lost maybe 1 mpg but gained a reliable engine and gained a lot more power.

Whimsey

I put in STP High Mileage treatment and that appears to have quieted down the engine a little. Thanks for the responses.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
10w30 is thinner than 5w30 in every thing I have seen.

How do you figure that?

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
10w30 is thinner than 5w30 in every thing I have seen.

How do you figure that?

+1 huh?

Some tools wedge between the camshaft and roller follower, and gives you room to replace the lash adjusters. It doesn't touch the lobes, so it doesn't harm the cam. You can do this with the cylinder heads still in the car. You could also replace your roller followers at that time if you aren't sure if they are in good condition.

I'm not exactly sure what level of skill is involved.

Anyway, only do this if you are really annoyed by the noise, it is a time consuming job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back