2014 Hyundai turbo UOA advice needed-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello-

My 2014 Hyundai 2.0 turbo is approaching 14,000 miles. The dealer gave me free oil changes up to 9,000 miles. At that point I drained what the dealer had in it, and fill it with Delo 400 LE full synthetic 5W-40.

I want to order a kit, and test the oil at 5,000 miles.

I have been reading here now and then, for well over 10 years, but really don't know much about the new GDI turbo cars, and have never actually had oil tested before. So, I'm not sure about when to do it, or which test would be the best for my car. I am concerned, since I've read other Hyundai turbo owners have had failures blamed on poor quality/improper oil, or change intervals causing sludge, so while I think it's a little early to do the test, I just want to be sure I'm not damaging my turbo or engine.

Any advice is appreciated...

A uoa on the second fill of oil is probably a waste. You will see nothing but break in noise with elevated metals most likely.

Uoas are for extending oil drains or finding contamination, you won't learn much about the health of your engine most likely.

Wait until at least 20,000 miles. Even then you may be breaking-in the engine and getting, naturally, elevated readings.

Last edited:
Excellent engine, one Asian engine which can take Euro Turbo engines head on, like other members have stated I would wait till at least one or two OC's before doing an analysis.

Hey btw I'm sure you know that in North America the max you can go on a OCI is 6 months to be within guidelines stipulated in the warranty! Your choice of oil will serve you well but you have to use an oil meeting A5 spec, and for your GDI Turbo engine, Hyundai has specified 5W-30 grade, and the brand doesn't really matter but QS is what is recommended as per the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back