help on choosing an air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of air compressor should I be looking for? I want to be able to use my 1/2 impact air up tires and use a blow gun. Pretty simple stuff I believe. What should I be looking for as far as an air compressor goes? Thank you everyone

Do you want it to be mobile?

Is noise a factor?

Is Price a factor?

Just about anything will do the jobs you mention, at least, for a few seconds at a time.

I have one like this: http://www.ranchgaragesale.com/images/air compressor IMG_1126.JPG
that will do all that*. You should be able to find one on CR for $50

* I also have a floor mounted large compressor in the shop. but I like this old one because of the Waddle Waddle Waddle sound.

Last edited:
120v or 240 is the key question. Second is how much space do you have, or perhaps more specifically, how much space do you want it to take up.

Depending upon the air gun use profile, you don't necessarily need a ton of air, and you could always add a supplemental tank.

Some will say as big as possible or as big as will fit, but that doesn't necessarily mean much if you're not going to use it much, since it may then be wasted money and space.

I have a 8 gallon HF oil lubed unit, item 68740 presently for $119.99. It'll run an impact gun intermittently (4.5 CFM@90psi), which is probably enough to rotate tires; and will run a nailer and other small tools easily. Buy an extra quart of synthethic oil. It comes with oil, but the instructions call for a change after one hour of operation. There is plenty of Non Detergent oil available at auto stores, but it's SAE 30, and will be a hard start in a cold garage. The synthetic formulated for compressors is not expensive compressor insurance.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
20 gallon minimum.bigger is always better

+1

You get a compressor, then you use it , then you find more uses and look at more air tools. Then you realize its not big enough and buy another. I'd look at all the air tools out there, see if there are any you will want/need and match the compressor to that.

This is the one I have. Drain valve sucks but it's easy with a 90" elbow, 6" piece of tube, and a ball valve. Trust me, go bigger than you think. It might work for you now, but it won't work for you later. Air ratchets, grinders, cut off wheels are air hogs.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_268707-1126-VT6389_0__?productId=3824207&Ntt=30+gallon+compressor&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D30%2Bgallon%2Bcompressor&facetInfo=

Oh, and invest in some sort of air drying system. Your tools will thank you. Doesn't need to be high end, I have the water separator/filter+desiccant dryer from harbor fright. It's cheap but it does the job

Originally Posted By: ram_man
What kind of air compressor should I be looking for? I want to be able to use my 1/2 impact air up tires and use a blow gun. Pretty simple stuff I believe. What should I be looking for as far as an air compressor goes? Thank you everyone

The 1/2" impact specs will dictate the size of the compressor and tank you will need. Call the manufacturer and ask what they recommend to get the rated torque of your impact. You may be surprised.

+2. Nobody ever wishes that they have bought a smaller air compressor.

Like someone above me, I have a 3hp, 8 gallon Harbor Freight compressor, and it's often inadequate. I bought it to use a small HVLP paint gun, and it works fine for that, and as a blow gun, and to inflate tires. It's inadequate for sand blasting.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Like someone above me, I have a 3hp, 8 gallon Harbor Freight compressor, and it's often inadequate. I bought it to use a small HVLP paint gun, and it works fine for that, and as a blow gun, and to inflate tires. It's inadequate for sand blasting.

Partly because it's not truly 3HP... unless it hooks up to 220V. You can't get 3HP out of 110V/15A. Just another lie.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Partly because it's not truly 3HP... unless it hooks up to 220V. You can't get 3HP out of 110V/15A. Just another lie.

That's true. So should I believe the state CFM on the plate, which IIRC is 5.6cfm @90 PSI ??? Yes it's a 120V single phase compressor.

My compressor would be very similar to this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-gal-2-hp-125-psi-oil-lube-air-compressor-69667.html

I suspects that the specs on HP and air output for the above one are are probably what my older, similar one actually does, even though it says higher on mine.

I don't have the equipment to measure CFM, I just know a little physics.

But, I can tell you this. My IR air impact was useless on my 110V/25Gal compressor until I replaced the HF China-made 3 ball-bearing quick connects with Taiwan-made 4-balls. Then it become actually powerful when I replaced those with GuardAir High Flow's. My IR air ratchet really rips now, too. My tank has two outlets so I kept the standard quick release on one side and its hoses, for less demanding tools.

Fortunately I had enough hoses kicking around to have some with each type of connector. Yes, I made an adapter too, so I can connect both types of hoses and fill tires 150' feet away if I have to.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Now that I have backchecked, the sticker on the size of the tank says 3HP. When I reviewed the Owner's Manual, it says 2.5HP(which is still a lie). If it matters, it's HF 90385. Manual says to run it on a 20A circuit, but there is no 20A plug on it. I'd connect it through a Kill-A-Watt if I were sure that it wouldn't fry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back