4k ultra hd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to my sons house to watch the Superbowl.
He has a brand new Samsung 50" 4K in the living room
A short distance away he has an older Samsung HD 46" that still has a great picture.
I watched the game on the 4K for awhile and just to see I watched for awhile on the HD set.
No contest between the 2 sets. The 4K blew away the HD by a wide margin.
Everyone thought the same.
The game was not in true 4K but up converted.
I've read some negitive reports on 4K sets but seeing is believing.
And I was sober!

There is no 4K program of any kind, I will wait until there are some sources like over the air broadcast or a 4K DVD player ... At that time probably the price of a 60-65" 4K will drop by half or more.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Was the older Samsung 1080p? 240htz?

It is a 1080p, don't know about the htz.
I know he paid $1800 for it a while back so it was not a bottom line model.
It still looks great on it's own.
But not compared to the 4K.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
There is no 4K program of any kind, I will wait until there are some sources like over the air broadcast or a 4K DVD player ... At that time probably the price of a 60-65" 4K will drop by half or more.

This. Might as well wait till there is content to take advantage of it, and save some money b/c of the price drop during that time.

It is interesting that they are selling these sets with no programing available.

I would like to have one for my desktop if I had a video card to support it.

With movies and stuff a lot of the quality has to be there when they make the movie, and some look about as good at 480p widescreen as they would blue ray.

As far as football, why even think about going to the park when they have it on tv, even 1080p looks better than I can see from the stands.

I bought a 60" 4K last November as a stop gap until OLEDS take over (3-4 years hopefully). There will be no actual broadcast or DirecTV 4K anytime soon (excepting an odd arrangement with Samsung, info is on the Directv site). DirecTV will supposedly offer 4K for everyone in Summer/Fall 2015 (I think a new receiver is needed to go with their new satellite for the 4K masses). Broadcast will have to wait for ATSC 3.0 which is just a fantasy now.

Netflix and Amazon 4K look very good, but unless you have ~25MBs down, you won' get the top quality pic. That being said, it looks darn good even at 18 down.

Where 4K sets shine is as computer monitors. I got an ATI R7 260X last week to replace my old card in the HTPC, and man, 4K on it looks outstanding. I can pull up a chair 2 feet from the screen and it is just razor sharp. Like the text now as I am typing this on a terrible little keyboard.

The prices are going to drop like rocks on 4K sets. Panel production costs are really close now (2160 vs 1080). 4K will be standard, content or not, on anything 50" or above next Christmas.

EDIT: 4K Blu-ray by next black Friday.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: marine65
I went to my sons house to watch the Superbowl.
He has a brand new Samsung 50" 4K in the living room
A short distance away he has an older Samsung HD 46" that still has a great picture.
I watched the game on the 4K for awhile and just to see I watched for awhile on the HD set.
No contest between the 2 sets. The 4K blew away the HD by a wide margin.
Everyone thought the same.
The game was not in true 4K but up converted.
I've read some negitive reports on 4K sets but seeing is believing.
And I was sober!

While I'm happy to hear that you like the 4K TV, I like my 1080p Samsung so well that I expect to keep it as long as it works. For as much as I watch tv (mostly live sports only), spending $ to have 4K would not give me such a better experience that it would be worth the cost. When 4K costs the same or less as 1080p does now, I might consider it but only if I need a replacement.

I'm happy with 8 years old 52" Sharp Aquos, I don't have any problem with it and I don't watch much TV and only 3-4 movies with standard DVD's a month.

When 60-65" 4K costs less than $1200-1500 and if 4K Blu-Ray is less than $150-200 and if there are 4K movies available I then will consider it.

I'm still waiting for my rear-projection in the living room to break. It's 1080p and it works, so no hurry.

We do have a 42" plasma in the master bedroom though.

I did see the 55" Samsung 4K at Costco and I have to say that, it looked amazing. But I'm waiting for Google Fiber, then I can get 4K streaming no problem. They are building it out here in Austin...

Nice! Yesterday I received a text on my Lumia Icon Windows phone that said there was a Windows Phone 8.1 update waiting for download. I immediately downloaded and installed it which was painless but it did take 30 minutes to do the update.

When finished, not only did I have a lot of nice phone enhancements but my year old phone was now capable of taking actual 4K videos at 30 fps! I always knew the Icon took stunning images for a camera phone but I never imagined it could take stunning 4K video also!

All with an over-the-air update.

I work for a wealthy guy. He has all the best monitors. From high end 3D ones, to larger 4K monitors. There is no question, a quality 4K TV has a wonderful picture. And, they don't have to be side by side to recognize the difference. When I get home my very nice Sharp (brand) 65 inch HDTV is clearly worlds worse than my boss' 4K TV on the very same Direct TV movie channel.

In fact, I've come to understand that my TV's pic's pixels are really no clearer/smaller than old school CRT color TV's of the past. It's simply a much larger screen (with a higher number of pixels) . So, a 12 inch face on the display is no clearer than a 12 inch face on an old TV.

And, therein lies the difference with 4K. The pixels are small, creating a sharply defined image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back