Garbage humans - Netflix "Outlast" show

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
My wife enjoys watching various reality TV shows, most of which I can't stand (and don't join her in watching) such as those "love island" ones. However, she got into those "alone" survivor shows which I didn't find terrible, so we watched the Arctic version of "Alone" last weekend, which was entertaining. This then resulted in her moving on to the Netflix-produced "Outlast" show, which seemed to have a similar premise at first blush, but then that was quickly demonstrated as not actually being the case.

Quick overview:
Four groups (A, B, C, D) of four contestants are placed in a river basin area in Alaska just before winter and have to survive. Sounds kinda similar right? The surviving aspect is where the similarity ends. They get periodic goal and supply drops (crab traps for example) and the groups are able to see, and interact with each other (alone, as the name would imply, no contestant ever sees another contestant, the focus is simply on who can survive the longest).

I won't bother you with further details, but three of the contestants, and two in particular, start sending out some very strong "Lord of the Flies" vibes early on, which gets further cemented by their scheming and abhorrent behaviour. Amber (left) and Jill, form some sort of "big sister" bond, with Amber, a former hardcore addict and felon turned yoga instructor, being the Beastly to Jill's "Shrieky" (Care bears reference there... lol).
1700932040111.jpg

Their teammate Justin's loose morals initially fits well with this dynamic.

So, while everybody else is focusing on keeping their group healthy and warm, this lot begins scheming about how they can force other people out of the competition through sabotage. Justin cooks up a plan, fully endorsed by the other two, to steal one of the competing group's sleeping bags. This is Alaska in the late fall/early winter, these are essential items, but they don't give the potential implications there a second thought.

The two that were the victims of the theft end up approaching Jill/Justin/Amber's neighbouring group to hopefully merge. At this point, one of the members of that group (Brian) decides he's had enough of a game that he thought was about survival, not this "pack of starving jackals" nonsense, and taps out, leaving only Javier to pursue the merger. Jill and Amber decide that he's an easy target now and so Jill starts destroying his shelter while Amber, in full crackhead mode, starts destroying his raft, the legacy of her former addiction on full display as her drug-addled mind starts spewing nonsense that parts of his raft are in fact hers. If you've ever had an interaction with a hardcore drug addict, this scene will feel hauntingly familiar.

He (Javier) is exasperated, accusing them of everything they are doing right in front of him, such as vandalism, theft and cheating, and she (Jill) very matter of factly says "there are no rules in this place, we can do whatever we want" to which he responds "where do you think Alaska is? We are still in America, theft is still theft, the reality is that you are just a horrible person and can't win fairly" or something along those lines.

The other two that had their sleeping bags stolen, observing this debacle, decide that this also isn't what they signed up for, guerrilla warfare basically, and tell Javier that they are leaving, wishing him the best of luck.

He (Javier) before leaving to try and join another group, torches his own shelter so that Jill and Amber can't salvage anything from it, and they both start talking about how he's insane and that this is mental illness and only a crazy person would destroy a shelter... After she literally was destroying his shelter and clearly getting her rocks off in doing so. He tries to join the 3-man camp further down on the other side, but they reject him, telling him they don't want to import this drama that seems to be happening upstream, so he ends up having to go home.

At this point Jill/Amber/Justin start to implode, which, isn't really surprising. When you put garbage humans together, they start not trusting each other. Justin ends up exiting and joining the 3-man team, but he vandalizes Jill/Amber's shelter before he leaves, and when that ends up coming out, they kick him out, as that's not how they are playing. Jill and Amber are accusing him of all manner of malicious behaviour, most of which he didn't do, claiming benevolence and talking themselves up like the last 48 hours never happened and they didn't just undertake everything, and more, that he's being accused of 😳

These two pieces of trash then start rambling on about how they so deserve to win because they were underdogs and succeeded against all odds and blah blah blah mental gymnastics, total delusion...etc.

Not sure about how much, if any of the show is scripted, or how it's recorded (drones I assume for a portion) but I doubt their intention was for this to play out as it did. I hopped on twitter to see how other people reacted and a lot of people actually stopped watching the show when things went sideways with Jill and Amber, choosing to google how it finished, rather than continuing to watch, which I thought was interesting.

Anyway, not sure if anybody else has watched this yet (it originally aired back in March I think?) but I'm curious if the reaction was the same as mine.

I stopped watching, I wanted to see how people would do trying to out last each other living in a wilderness rather than what happened. I think they ruined the show with their behaviour.

watching Jill play victim while also acting as evil as possible was the worst part of the show.
Her "I'm a detective, I know how people work" schtick as she accused Justin of a laundry list of things he didn't do while she already demonstrated that she's straight-up human excrement had me questioning how many people are in jail from her "detective" work that shouldn't be, and how many criminals are roaming free?

I'd be inclined to label her as a sociopath, but people that fit that category are generally above average intelligence, and I wouldn't put her in that camp, so I'm more inclined to believe that she's just immoral trash who suffers from delusion.

Her "I'm a detective, I know how people work" schtick as she accused Justin of a laundry list of things he didn't do while she already demonstrated that she's straight-up human excrement had me questioning how many people are in jail from her "detective" work that shouldn't be, and how many criminals are roaming free?
Don't watch much TV, let alone reality TV shows. Have to ask though, isn't this loosely scripted? As in, is she really a real detective, or is most of this show using made up backstory, with some loose instructions and guidance on how to act some scenarios? with the carrot of, do well and maybe you'll get a career acting in some other job?

I'd be inclined to label her as a sociopath, but people that fit that category are generally above average intelligence, and I wouldn't put her in that camp, so I'm more inclined to believe that she's just immoral trash who suffers from delusion.
It had been a little bit since I watched it but if I remember correctly she defended her actions with the “you don’t know my story” stance which screamed to me that she’s extremely insecure about why she justifies her terrible acts.

I watched and enjoyed the first few seasons of "Survivor", when the show actually had people surviving and not 99% drama.
They actually have FAR LESS ACCESS to food in current seasons than in the beginning of the show. It is about PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS-which often lead to drama. Don't know what you were quite expecting.

I got hooked on Alone through my kids, but I wouldn’t make it through more than one episode of what you’re describing.

Don't watch much TV, let alone reality TV shows. Have to ask though, isn't this loosely scripted? As in, is she really a real detective, or is most of this show using made up backstory, with some loose instructions and guidance on how to act some scenarios? with the carrot of, do well and maybe you'll get a career acting in some other job?
My impression is that these are real people:
As is the case with the rest of the contestants on this show, we’re not dealing with models and influencers. Jill is a tough 42-year-old woman from New Haven, Kentucky, population 855. Her social media and life history look exactly like what you’d expect. She speaks openly on not being able to tolerate bosses and her issues with growing up in an unloving, poor family.

And, from the producer:
Speaking to Newsweek, Outlast executive producer Grant Kahler has spoken about the moment that saw a backlash from fans online.

He said: "It was an intense moment, for sure and, you know, that was one of those moments where we kind of let it play out.

"We didn't know how it was going to end because, again, there [was] no rule that was stating that Jill and Amber couldn't do what they were doing, but at the same time, if it ever got to a point where we thought it was gonna hurt someone, like, we would have had to shut it down."

Grant added that they might have to rethink the structure of the series if it was greenlit for season 2, adding: "I think one thing we would have to be mindful of in future seasons is, after seeing this first season, I would wanna make sure people, just from a safety perspective, didn't get a little too out of hand.

"Because they're going to see this and see that you can take matters into your own hands. So I just wouldn't want to see someone from a camp just going to beat the sh** out of someone."

Which I think was a real possibility with a couple of the other players, if it had been them in Javier's boots.

That whole show felt very scripted to me. I like “Alone”and figured that was what it would be. All the drama felt made up.

Reality shows are still scripted and fake. Many participants are wannabe actors looking for a big break. I knew a gal who was on two reality shows. Producers will tell you what to say and create fake scenarios just to make up drama. According to her anyways. She said they would literally put in made up situations and tell you what to do/feel about it. Then you would pretty much improvise from there.

The only reality shows I like are the cooking competitions of food network. Real chefs making real food.

I can't get into "reality" TV shows like this. I'm supposed to believe they're actually surviving on their own while surrounded by a camera crew and tons of supplies to go along with them? lol They are probably acting out the LOTF skit for attention or were told to do so to boost ratings. I know someone who used to be a sound guy for a couple of these survivor type shows. He said the "actors" were only in that setting for a short period of time for the cameras. When the cameras stopped rolling, they all went inside a cabin or trailer to hang out and review their script for the next scene. They all had full scripts. Nothing was genuine and very little improvised. They had medical crews, hot meals, internet/phone/entertainment, etc...

Game shows and cooking competitions aren't as bad. There's still a bunch of scripting going on, fake drama introduced and whatnot. The plating at the last second stuff is often staged. Sometimes when it shows them messing up a recipe or dropping something on the floor, it's been scripted in for dramatic effect. There's helping crews off camera that hand them utensils and seasonings they need and whatnot. Food isn't presented to judges right away as hot food. It usually goes in a fridge while everyone takes a break. The judges taste the food as the contestant finishes it to try it hot. When it's presented at the stage for them to "try", it's cold out of the fridge and they pretend to be enjoying it hot. (or not) Their judgement is based on when they tasted it hot off-camera. It's a lot of stuff like that.

A lot of contestants don't get to choose what they wear either. Producers decide their outfits based on their personality and region. They rarely get to decide their own outfit.

Last edited:
Back