AMSOIL AND A 2014 CHEVY SILVERADO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zpinch
OMG, it's not 3.5 HTHS! 3.4 HTHS will make your engine explode! Better tell all the other oil makers the same thing...

It's not often a strawman comes along and proves exactly what I was saying...thankyou.

If Amsoil think that 3.4 is good enough to recommend as 3.5, than what other specs are they fudging their recommendations for...on the probability that nothing's going to blow up.

You proved my point, they don't care WHAT the specs are, they just recommend them for, based on the probability that nothing bad will happen...

And BTW, ACD is a A3/B3 oil, no B4.

Yippey Dip...it's still 3.5..."look over there a bunny" is a common Amsoil trick also.

I have asked many many times what all this super duper testing that Amsoil does that proves it's better than some very expensive OEM tests.

I am now more convinced than ever that they take an approved oil, throw a 4 ball machine at it (or other dinky tests) and say that if Oil A passes API/ACEA, and our 4 ball beats it, then we "meet or exceed"...that's the level of honesty that I am seeing from the company and their reps.

Pointless thread. You are going no where. We could talk all year about every other oil maker and their short comings. Get over it.

When one has no cogent technical argument to make...

Pointless thread. You are going no where. We could talk all year about every other oil maker and their short comings. Get over it.

This is turning into Bob Is The Teenage Oil Guy.

You grown men crack me up.

Amsoil, regardless of Dexos approval, is an excellent oil and I fully believe in Pablo's statement about the warranty act passed by congress.

Can we close this thread now?

Originally Posted By: Click
Its so sad that misinformed people continue to throw out totally false comments about AMSOIL. The founder turned over the keys to the operation to his son years ago. The founder still comes to work to visit with friends and staff and answer his mail but ALL of the operations are under Allen's control and have been for many years. They will NEVER be found in Walmart, Menards etc. for their own good reasons. They are found in auto parts stores all over the country if people would just use their 'locator' button. They also have nearly 'next day' UPS service to most 48 states too.
Dont look for changes in their marketing, it is working for them and their network. If you dont like it, thats ok but dont belittle millions of others who enjoy the product quality and marketing.
Have a nice day !

Part source,Canadian tire,and many other big stores carry Amsoil here,so your mistaken. Each retailer can pay up and become a distributor.

Originally Posted By: Click
Its so sad that misinformed people continue to throw out totally false comments about AMSOIL. The founder turned over the keys to the operation to his son years ago. The founder still comes to work to visit with friends and staff and answer his mail but ALL of the operations are under Allen's control and have been for many years. They will NEVER be found in Walmart, Menards etc. for their own good reasons. They are found in auto parts stores all over the country if people would just use their 'locator' button. They also have nearly 'next day' UPS service to most 48 states too.
Dont look for changes in their marketing, it is working for them and their network. If you dont like it, thats ok but dont belittle millions of others who enjoy the product quality and marketing.
Have a nice day !

I thought this was a UOA thread, it is hilarious to see how off topic it has become. I hate to break it to you, but Amsoil (though a great product Im sure) has an archaic business model that doesn't make any sense. If it wasn't for their cult like following, they would have been out of business decades ago. I predict that as new generations of motorists enter the auto world, and the "off the shelf oils" get better and better, this company will become obsolete unless they drastically change their strategy and stay relevant in the marketplace. And BTW, their are NO good reasons for not being in mass retail. Its either they dont have the infrastructure to support the orders and stock (highly doubtful as they are a well established company) or they just dont like making money. You cannot defend a business strategy that stays small and relies heavily upon unreliable local sales people. If they weren't so naive (or possibly arrogant) to think that they were too good for retail, more people would be using their products. The truth is, they are not much (if any) better than off the shelf oils, and their products are just not worth the extra cost and hassle to the typical motorist. Just my
49.gif
Buy a couple bottles and put them away so in the next few decades when the company folds they will be collectors items.

Originally Posted By: Throt

Amsoil, regardless of Dexos approval, is an excellent oil and I fully believe in Pablo's statement about the warranty act passed by congress.

Does Congress pay out if Amsoil and your friendly dealership won't if there was an oil related warranty issue? Or would a court ruling have to force someone to pay out? I often wonder about these things, and a chat with my service writer friend showed my thoughts about the topic were spot on.

Canada Tire got into the AMSOIL program right before they changed their marketing policy to NOT allow it. Sorta 'grandfathered' in, just like Fleet Farm and a few isolated other small chain stores. They no longer allow big box retailers into their system.
Some folks may not like their marketing, thats fine, BUT it works for those that want to make it work. Archaic is in your mind and the minds of a few others... most other folks get along with their marketing just fine. It is available in privately owned stores, or dropped at your door step by UPS if you prefer. Not everyone likes Coke or Pepsi either.. its all choices.

You are obviously clueless to what the act is and how its worded. No offense to Pablo but he is just parroting Amsoils position.
No one said Amsoil isn't a good oil, did they?

If you don't like the thread, don't post in it. Pretty simple really.

Closing threads is ridiculous. Why not let people express their opinions? This is a discussion board, not a feelings factory.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Can't have that! God forbid we have dissenting opinions! If someone has a different view we put them on ignore or call for a ban!

Hey zpinch, how about developing some self-discipline and not read this thread anymore? It's quite simple really. It's hilarious that you would let an anonymous person get under your skin. Speaks volumes of your maturity.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Closing threads is ridiculous. Why not let people express their opinions? This is a discussion board, not a feelings factory.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Don't take my post seriously, it wasn't meant to be. I am merely pointing out that people are speaking loud about something they might be completely ignorant about.

Go ahead, be my guest.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
smirk.gif

x 10 or even more. In a public forum one of the most unreasonable things to expect is for everyone to agree with you!

And speaking loudly about something you know nothing about is a staple here...

Last edited:

Pointing the finger at me?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
OMG, it's not 3.5 HTHS! 3.4 HTHS will make your engine explode!

It's not a question of what it'll do. It's a question of principle and how this information can be used to give you grief over a potential warranty claim.

Quote:

Better tell all the other oil makers the same thing...

The other oil makers that say "meets" instead of "recommended for" know what the HT/HS viscosity should be.

Quote:
And BTW, ACD is a A3/B3 oil, no B4.

It doesn't change the fact that HT/HS viscosity needs to be at least 3.5 cP.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, "recommended for" is a legal term, if your engine blows up, and it can be proven that the oil was responsible, Amsoil is on the hook BECAUSE they used that term.

We are going in circles here. Yes, Amsoil is on the hook, but as was pointed out earlier, every corporation has a legal team that gets paid to get them off that hook. While in the end the customer will likely be taken care of, it just adds unnecessary aggravation to the whole process.

BTW, zuluplus30's question about SSO and XL exceeding dexos1 specified SAPS limit has also gone unanswered.

According to Amsoil Technical Support.

(This is not an exact Quote)

The SS line has a SA% of 1.5%. When asked why the label implied DEXOS1 compliance, the question went to a second level and I was called back. The answer was: Due to the extended drain capablity and low volatity of the oil, the performance of the oil or potential poisoning of emissions systems was not an issue.

As to the XL and OE, both are
Seems this was the case Amsoil made for Phosphorus being over 1000ppm in the API SL standard days.

I also sent an Email regarding the ACD being recommended for ACEA A3 while showing a HTHS of 3.4 on the Data Sheet. Awaitng a response.

I expressed my frustration with labeling verbage and warranty in that Email as well.

There is no doubt Amsoil products perform, and no ones engine is likely to fail, BUT I agree their labeling has lot to be desired and creates more questions than it answers. The label needs to state claims. If they don't want to be compliant with DEXOS1 SA levels, or any other spec, leave it off the label. People just don't want the hassle in case of a warranty claim. Even if Amsoil and the MOSS act wins out and the OEM fixes it, how long is the customers car out of service unless he fronts the money to fix it.

Originally Posted By: BrianC
As to the XL and OE, both are div>

If XL has SA content of under 1%, then why does the data sheet say "Fortified with detergents that exceed dexos1
sulfated ash specifications."? Makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If XL has SA content of under 1%, then why does the data sheet say "Fortified with detergents that exceed dexos1
sulfated ash specifications."? Makes no sense.

Good question. I guess exceeds could be interpreted exceeds the standard meaning <1%. But the same wording is on the SS line which is 1.5% SA. So who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back