AMSOIL AND A 2014 CHEVY SILVERADO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrianC
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: zpinch
OMG, it's not 3.5 HTHS! 3.4 HTHS will make your engine explode!

It's not a question of what it'll do. It's a question of principle and how this information can be used to give you grief over a potential warranty claim.

Quote:

Better tell all the other oil makers the same thing...

The other oil makers that say "meets" instead of "recommended for" know what the HT/HS viscosity should be.

Quote:
And BTW, ACD is a A3/B3 oil, no B4.

It doesn't change the fact that HT/HS viscosity needs to be at least 3.5 cP.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, "recommended for" is a legal term, if your engine blows up, and it can be proven that the oil was responsible, Amsoil is on the hook BECAUSE they used that term.

We are going in circles here. Yes, Amsoil is on the hook, but as was pointed out earlier, every corporation has a legal team that gets paid to get them off that hook. While in the end the customer will likely be taken care of, it just adds unnecessary aggravation to the whole process.

BTW, zuluplus30's question about SSO and XL exceeding dexos1 specified SAPS limit has also gone unanswered.

According to Amsoil Technical Support.

(This is not an exact Quote)

The SS line has a SA% of 1.5%. When asked why the label implied DEXOS1 compliance, the question went to a second level and I was called back. The answer was: Due to the extended drain capablity and low volatity of the oil, the performance of the oil or potential poisoning of emissions systems was not an issue.

As to the XL and OE, both are
Seems this was the case Amsoil made for Phosphorus being over 1000ppm in the API SL standard days.

I also sent an Email regarding the ACD being recommended for ACEA A3 while showing a HTHS of 3.4 on the Data Sheet. Awaitng a response.

I expressed my frustration with labeling verbage and warranty in that Email as well.

There is no doubt Amsoil products perform, and no ones engine is likely to fail, BUT I agree their labeling has lot to be desired and creates more questions than it answers. The label needs to state claims. If they don't want to be compliant with DEXOS1 SA levels, or any other spec, leave it off the label. People just don't want the hassle in case of a warranty claim. Even if Amsoil and the MOSS act wins out and the OEM fixes it, how long is the customers car out of service unless he fronts the money to fix it.

I really don't like how Amsoil is using the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act as a cover for their IMO deceptive sales labeling practices.
It is true the manufacturer cannot void your warranty if you use Amsoil, they can however void that part of the warranty that covers lubricated parts they can show were damaged by using a non spec oil or lubricant.
It seems they are cherry picking the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act verbiage for their own ends.
Magnuson-Moss is not an open invitation for aftermarket vendors of parts and lubricants to sell such products and expect the original manufacturer to warranty damaged caused by them. Implying this IMHO this borders on consumer fraud.

I read the Magnuson-Moss act and the bottom line is if you use non spec fluid you or the manufacturer of the product you used assumes the warranty for that part of the system.
simply stated you or your lawyer gets to go 12 rounds with Amsoil (or any other company that produces non approved products) and or the vehicle manufacturer.

Just one example of what can happen, the same applies to the use of non approved lubricants and fluids.

Quote:
That being said, if you choose to modify your car, and suddenly the fancy new electronic control boxes that you added to your car make it run rough, not start when cold, or buck like a bronco, the dealer can and will charge a diagnostic fee to find out what is wrong with your car. If it turns out that your modifications are the cause of the problem, the dealer has every right not only to charge you for the diagnosis and repair, but to also void the portion of the warranty that has been compromised by the use of those aftermarket parts. Likewise, a dealer may refuse to service your car if it is adorned with aftermarket parts to the extent that its technicians cannot reasonably be expected to diagnose what is wrong with your car. As an example, all cars manufactured after 1994 are equipped with OBDII (On Board Diagnostics II) ports that dealers use to read engine diagnostic codes for everything from an engine vacuum leak to a malfunctioning emissions system. If your chosen modification has compromised the dealer service center's ability to scan for these codes (aftermarket ECUs generally do not support OBDII), then there is a strong probability that the dealer service center will

Deny warranty coverage

Refuse to service the car

Note with your factory field representative for your region/district that your car has been "modified"

Your car's manufacturer notes are your car's "permanent record." Above all else, avoid compromising these notes. This is nearly always connected with your vehicles' VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and will

Ensure that your car will not have its warranty honored at any dealer service center in your area.

Dramatically reduce the resale and/or trade-in value of your car.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html

They are not beong deceptive, they choose not to support a system that is getting more and more politically based and mot about real world performance. If only more of the pil makers would do the same, but the big oil guys are part of that system. Lobbying is killing smaller businesses. Just my opinion. Not worth two cents.

Its not Amsoil being deceptive, it's GM being deceptive around a system designed to protect the consumer, and that includes using a top teir product, which Amsoil SS oil is.

How is it not deceptive to label something as recommended or meeting a spec that clearly does not? Clearly Amsoil could not be licensed to Dexos because the product would fail the testing.

Its not Amsoil being deceptive, it's GM being deceptive around a system designed to protect the consumer, and that includes using a top teir product, which Amsoil SS oil is.

what?
Amsoil makes a product that isn't licensed or approved yet recommends you use it anyway and you think the manufacturer (in this example GM) is being deceptive?
crazy2.gif

You may not agree with GM's approach to licensing dexos, but that does not make GM deceptive.

"Top tier" means little unless you put some specifics behind it, and the specifics of dexos are pretty clear and available to anyone who wants it. The process to obtain dexos certification is also clearly defined. Yes, it does include royalty fees which many have an issue with, but that does not make it deceptive.

Quote:
fortified with detergents that exceed dexos1 sulfated ash specifications

According to Amsoil sales rep. and technical dept. it means exactly what it says. The SA% is above the DEXOS1 limit.

So, no Amsoil product meets DEXOS1 SA% limits. They do not feel that is a concern in the performance of the oil. And it probably is not. But that may not satisfy those with warranty concerns even with the MOSS act.

The tech that informed me otherwise about OE & XL was looking at sulfur, not sulfated ash.

I was looking at the Redline site today, similar verbage.

just reporting back, so don't hammer me.

Quote:

According to Amsoil sales rep. and technical dept. it means exactly what it says. The SA% is above the DEXOS1 limit.

So, no Amsoil product meets DEXOS1 SA% limits. They do not feel that is a concern in the performance of the oil. And it probably is not. But that may not satisfy those with warranty concerns even with the MOSS act.

The tech that informed me otherwise about OE & XL was looking at sulfur, not sulfated ash.

Thanks for digging in to it. I don't mind the higher SA in the SSO because of it's low volatility. It's likey to leave less deposits than a 13% NOACK oil that its the limit for dexos. HOWEVER: It still leaves the consumer in a bad spot. They're using an oil that is RECOMMENDED by the oil manufacturer for their vehicle spec while FAILING the very specification limits set forth by the manufacture for that spec. GM would have a field day with that in an oil related warranty claim. Count me out and shame on Amsoil for shady recommendations.

Last edited:
I wish Amsoil would just take the OE line to a DEXOS1 approval, then a whole new market opens to it's dealers and those GM customers that like to try Amsoil would be well served as well.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon.

JMHO

I wish Amsoil would just take the OE line to a DEXOS1 approval, then a whole new market opens to it's dealers and those GM customers that like to try Amsoil would be well served as well.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon.

JMHO

Thats one answer but they admit they don't even meet spec and apparently don't care.
Valvoline does this same nonsense with their Maxlife ATF and DexIII/ Mercon.
It doesn't meet spec right out of the bottle but when red flagged for being out of spec they claimed down the road a way it will.

Possibly true but no way i would put it in a car under warranty. Fortunately they also make a officially licensed product.
Personally i think there needs to be a better truth in labeling law for lubricants making these kinds of "recommended for" and "exceeds" shenanigans illegal.
Make it only legal to publish actual approved specs on the package and nothing else, course that would leave the Amsoil and a few other companies with a blank label.

As it stands now they not only misrepresent the product but the consumer protection act also when they cherry pick the parts that work for them.
That is not looking good.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
But that would "lock them in" to not getting their raw materials from anywhere...LOL

Only with the SS line, not the XL/OE. As far as the Basestock interchange guidelines, it's the group V that is the obstacle as I understand it. They are a blender, not a producer. So that issue doesn't affect Mobil or Shell as an example.

Quote:

OE meets the SA requirements Dexos1. Maybe you mixed that part up.

Royal purple meets dexos requirements and it is available everywhere. Plus their API oils are better than the OE and XL amsoil lines. Maybe just switch to that and be done with this argument eh?
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
What is the SA of OE 5W-30? It is not listed on their website.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

“Do 2011 GM vehicle owners have to use a dexos-licensed product?” No. You can use any product that meets dexos specifications. They are not required to use a GM-licensed product. GM has chosen to grant licenses only to companies that pay them a substantial fee. Some oil companies have chosen to make a product that meets the same standards as a licensed product without adding an unnecessary administrative cost to the product that consumers would be forced to pay. So long as the oil manufacturer warrants that the motor oil meets dexos specifications, it’s acceptable to use it.

Federal law prohibits a manufacturer from requiring the use of a specific brand in order to maintain warranty coverage. The FTC recently issued a consumer alert to remind consumers that the automaker or dealer must prove a given product caused the need for repairs rather than denying warranty coverage on the basis of the product simply being used.

It is also worth noting that GM itself has acknowledged alternative engine oils may be used if dexos is unavailable. Owners manuals for 2011 GM cars state: “In the event that dexos-approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W30 viscosity grade. Use of oils that do not meet the dexos specification, however, may result in reduced performance under certain circumstances.”

“Do 2011 GM vehicle owners have to use a dexos-licensed product?” No. You can use any product that meets dexos specifications. They are not required to use a GM-licensed product. GM has chosen to grant licenses only to companies that pay them a substantial fee. Some oil companies have chosen to make a product that meets the same standards as a licensed product without adding an unnecessary administrative cost to the product that consumers would be forced to pay. So long as the oil manufacturer warrants that the motor oil meets dexos specifications, it’s acceptable to use it.

Federal law prohibits a manufacturer from requiring the use of a specific brand in order to maintain warranty coverage. The FTC recently issued a consumer alert to remind consumers that the automaker or dealer must prove a given product caused the need for repairs rather than denying warranty coverage on the basis of the product simply being used.

It is also worth noting that GM itself has acknowledged alternative engine oils may be used if dexos is unavailable. Owners manuals for 2011 GM cars state: “In the event that dexos-approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W30 viscosity grade. Use of oils that do not meet the dexos specification, however, may result in reduced performance under certain circumstances.”

Your quote from the 2011 owners manual is 5 years out of date. The 2014+ manuals do not contain ANY of that language. No API references. No substitutions. No alternatives.

Direct from GM: "Unlicensed products have not gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are not monitored for quality, and are not approved or recommended for use in GM vehicles."

See my previous posts.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
What is the SA of OE 5W-30? It is not listed on their website.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

1%

Dexos1 is a spec, not a brand. So I dont think MM act applies.
My 2012 Silverado allows Dexos or Dexos equivalent oil. This means I coukd use an oil not licensed but it had better say something on the bottle about meeting Dexos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back