0w-40 Oil in cars w/ high miles requiring 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 cars, one is a 2002 trailblazer with the 4.2L inline 6 with 190k miles, and the other is a 2006 malibu with the 2.2L 4 cyl ecotec at 145k miles. Both have seen M1 5w-30 for as long as I can remember. But both are starting to consume oil a decent amount and they just don't run as quiet as before. What would your guys' opinions be on using M1 0w-40 instead keeping the OCI's at 5k?

I'd run MaxLife red bottle - start w 5W-30 and work your way through 10W-30 and 10W-40 until consumption abates.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I'd run MaxLife red bottle - start w 5W-30 and work your way through 10W-30 and 10W-40 until consumption abates.

Yea maxlife will do 5k easy. Its a semi-syn oil with a good additive package.

The Acura has run 5/30 and 10/30 Mobil 1 as well as 5/30HM M1 and now has 0/40 in it.

We will see how it goes... I've not noticed an appreciable difference with any of them.

The car specs 5/30.

If it was my vehicle, I would use PYB HM 5W30 for 5K OCI's... Have used Mobil 1 HM in a good amount of vehicles and liked it, but never thought it helped with consumption.

Last edited:
I've asked this question before, but no one has ever answered it. It sounds like you're in a similar situation as myself.

How do High Mileage oils perform in an environment with consumption, but NO leaks ?

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
I've asked this question before, but no one has ever answered it. It sounds like you're in a similar situation as myself.

How do High Mileage oils perform in an environment with consumption, but NO leaks ?

They are supposed to reduce consumption I'm guessing due to slightly higher HTHS in the grade.
Moving to a euro 0w-40 certainly isn't going backwards in any way.

My daily driver is a 1997 Nissan pickup truck with 270,000 miles on the odometer. I recently bought a bunch of Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 SRT oil from Autozone for $1/quart on clearance.

The temperatures have been very low recently and the 0W-40 has been working wondefully. My little truck has never consumed oil and this 0W-40 is no exception.

M1 5W-30 HM in the winter. M1 10W-30 in the summer for both. There's supposed to be P4 HM in 5W-30 but I haven't seen it. You've been using M1 all this time so why change.

Glad to see someone asked a question I was curious about myself. I just put in some maxlife full synth in my cavalier with no leaks or burning issues. It's a bit noisier than it was with the penz hm I'd been using. I was thinking of trying a 5w40 to see if it quiets down but had a hard time finding any. 0w40 would be alright, the 0w is pretty unnecessary in my area since it never gets very cold.

Originally Posted By: wardak33
I have 2 cars, one is a 2002 trailblazer with the 4.2L inline 6 with 190k miles, and the other is a 2006 malibu with the 2.2L 4 cyl ecotec at 145k miles. Both have seen M1 5w-30 for as long as I can remember. But both are starting to consume oil a decent amount and they just don't run as quiet as before. What would your guys' opinions be on using M1 0w-40 instead keeping the OCI's at 5k?

When was the last time the PCV system was checked to see if hoses are cracked/blocked and the PCV valve is functioning? A non functioning PVC system will cause increased oil usage. You do have a fair amount of mileage on both those vehicles.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Doog
I would run a HDEO 5w40

+1 HDEO 5/40 is cheap and good all at the same time. I run it in my sons Civic with 209k miles and all oil consumption stopped. No degrade in gas mileage with the 5/40 vs 5/30 M1

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back