5W20 VS 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that would be good. If you want to quiet it down more you could run a synthetic in that grade also if there are no leaks. The brand is up to you.

MS5k and MaxLife blend were two of the smoothest/quietest oil I used in my vehicle, so I would suggest trying those. Though I've also heard good things about QSGB and Motorcraft oil, so it might be worth trying those as well.

If you want to move up to a full synthetic, Valvoline SynPower was the smoothest/quietest in my car, with PP coming in second.

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
I have an 2011 Ranger with a 2.3 noisy 4 cylinder. Want to try running 5w30 to quiet it down. Should be no issues right? 50k on the motor.

thanks

No problem at all. Whether it quietens it down or not is another story, try it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have an 2011 Ranger with a 2.3 noisy 4 cylinder. Want to try running 5w30 to quiet it down. Should be no issues right? 50k on the motor.

thanks

No problem at all. Whether it quietens it down or not is another story, try it.

^ +1
thumbsup2.gif

The Ford Duratech 2.0 and 2.3 engines(I have them both) are excellent engines and are not prone to be "noisy". Both of mine are fine and I use M1 0-20 in them with three times the miles that is on yours. Has the engine been abused with long OCIs on dino, or other wise abused?

Mine is quiet on many 20 grade oils. M1 0w20, Mc 5w20, Castrol Edge 0w20, PYB and Ms5k 5w20.

The Injectors tick a bit ... but that's different

Originally Posted By: LX289
Yes that would be good. If you want to quiet it down more you could run a synthetic in that grade also if there are no leaks. The brand is up to you.

Why would it have any leaks being a 2011?

No issues, there is really not much difference between 5w20 and 5w30 in actual use. What oil are you running now? Some engines tend to run quieter on certain oils than others. You may find a 5w20 that runs much quieter than the one you are using.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The Ford Duratech 2.0 and 2.3 engines(I have them both) are excellent engines and are not prone to be "noisy". Both of mine are fine and I use M1 0-20 in them with three times the miles that is on yours. Has the engine been abused with long OCIs on dino, or other wise abused?

The 23NS Duratech in the Ranger/2300 is a noisy engine.

Some engines run quieter with thinner oil some engines are quieter with thicker oil, you don't know if your particular engine will run quieter with certain oil grade until you try it.

thanks

I've had two Rangers before....one with the 2.3L. You say it is noisy? It shouldn't be, at least not any more noisy than most other 4 cylinder engines.

I always ran 5w-20 (a variety of brands in synthetic or blend). Not once had a noise.....including freezing startups.

Might be a good idea to address the noise instead of trying to mask anything with a slightly thicker oil.

Respectfully, you have asked the question about the noise twice before and about 5w-30 once before. Have you tried any of the suggestions offered previously?

Originally Posted By: sicko
MS5k and MaxLife blend were two of the smoothest/quietest oil I used in my vehicle, so I would suggest trying those. Though I've also heard good things about QSGB and Motorcraft oil, so it might be worth trying those as well.

If you want to move up to a full synthetic, Valvoline SynPower was the smoothest/quietest in my car, with PP coming in second.

thumbsup2.gif

I have noticed that my car runs smoothly/quietly on NAPA Synthetic 5W-20 as well (which is made by Valvoline/Ashland).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back