Change to synthetic oil in my 2008 Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Tundra with 98,000 miles. I want to change over to synthetic oil. I have read post about seals leaking when changing to synthetic oil due to its cleaning ability. Does anyone know if this is an issue with later model Tundras. I've read it is mainly an issue with older model vehicles. My local Toyota dealer said they use Mobile 1 full synthetic. Thanks

It shouldn't be.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
I would not run a particularly long OCI with the first batch of synthetic (Because the synthetic may clean a bit better than the old stuff, and get things moving), but other than that, it won't hurt a thing.

So the theory/explanation is that switching to a synthetic that cleans well might clean away the sludge that's blocking a leak, and therefore expose a leak that's been there all along but just wasn't previously leaking.

However, if your vehicle has been properly maintained, you probably have very little internal grime to worry about. So go ahead and use whatever synthetic oil you want.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to switch to synthetic now? Do you plan on extending your oil change intervals or anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back