Oil for a Subaru powered genset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a typical little old lady in town that I am helping take care of. Before her husband died last year, he had set up the house with a 6,250ish watt genset powered by a Subaru splash lubricated engine (no filter).

This weekend I will be doing a bit of servicing on it to include running out all the old gas and doing an oil change.

Any tips on what oil type/weight would be a good choice for this setup?

I like amsoil ACD for these sorts of things, unless a 10w-30 is too heavy for central Michigan winters. Don't want you having a heart attack from trying to pull start that gen.

I don't know if this applies to Subaru gen engines but Briggs and Stratton seem to favor a 5W-30 synthetic oil for all year round use. It'll be easier to start in the winter and can run in the summer without burning off as much as a conventional 10W-30.

Whimsey

My Briggs L head genset started at 4 degrees a couple of years ago with one pull after cold soaking all night. T6 5w 40. Surprised me. It doesn't burn a drop of the stuff.

My gennie is stored in a garage that never goes below 40F, so I use 5W/40, either Rotella or Delo. My snowblower, which is never run above freezing, gets 0W/30, currently Castrol.....Which is what I would use in an outdoor genset in upper Michigan.

I would use 5W30 synthetic. It it manual or electric? If manual how strong is the little old lady?

My 1st choice would be Amsoil 4-Stroke small engine oil. Its designed for OPE engines that maybe be air cooled and/or splash lubricated.

I have a PowerMate 6250 start generator with the Subaru engine. I use M1 10-30 and the engine performs very well.

If she needs the generator run. I will be going over to set it up and start it for her.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would use 5W30 synthetic. It it manual or electric? If manual how strong is the little old lady?

My 1st choice would be Amsoil 4-Stroke small engine oil. Its designed for OPE engines that maybe be air cooled and/or splash lubricated.

Originally Posted By: Donald

This.
Those Subaru gen sets are nice.

I have a JD lawn tractor, a Briggs Storm Responder Generator, and an Excel Pressure Washer. I chose an oil that would suit all well to minimize inventory. I run Rotella T-5 synthetic blend 10W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back