Electronic Rust Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is starting to tire of his 1993 Civic with 300000 on it. Not sure why. Anyway, he is looking at a 2013 Mazda 3 hatchback. I have read on a number of forums that these vehicles are prone to rusting. The original owner of the vehicle must have felt the same way as she installed an electronic rust control module. I don't think this will persuade him one way or the other but it got me wondering if there is any science to back up the use of these devices especially in snowbelt regions.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
My son is starting to tire of his 1993 Civic with 300000 on it. Not sure why. Anyway, he is looking at a 2013 Mazda 3 hatchback. I have read on a number of forums that these vehicles are prone to rusting. The original owner of the vehicle must have felt the same way as she installed an electronic rust control module. I don't think this will persuade him one way or the other but it got me wondering if there is any science to back up the use of these devices especially in snowbelt regions.

Electronic rust proofing is a scam and you are correct Mazda's are prone to rust. Especially being in Ontario where we use lots of SALT.

Read up on it here.
http://www.wheels.ca/feature/no-evidence-electronic-rustproofing-actually-works/

http://www.autonet.ca/en/2013/10/09/top-10-best-and-worst-rust-resistant-cars

Regards, JC.

Cathodic protection systems are in common use for ground contact installations. I have not heard of nor do I know anything about the "electric rust control module."

Originally Posted By: jcwit
The science is there, but I doubt their effectiveness.

You're in Canada, I suggest your son should find a better car.

ftfy

Electronic rustproofing works great if your car will be constantly submerged.

Ha! I didn't know they still sold these. This was a big 80's scam sold along side Slick 50.

No, the principle is not sound in the context of the question asked.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
oh of course I agree, I was just saying the principle is sound

but we don't put our cars in the sea to often

lol

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Cathodic protection works on stuff that is constantly wet like boats, bridges, oil rigs... Cars aren't covered in electrolyte.

That's what I heard too. I get my vehicles rust proofed at Krown. It will drip a bit
but I know that it is protected. You don't even have to do it every year. I traded in a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit (G5) last May with no rust on it with only doing three sprays.

Electronic rust control is garbage. If it worked, the auto companies would be all over it, or at the very least its success would spread like wildfire, person to person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back