NYPD turns backs on the Mayor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The police did. Do you feel this was appropriate?

I think all this action will do is bring more indictment of NYPD.

And, though I feel police frequently act like the "Superpoloce," I do not feel those officers should have been executed. Nor Garner.

Your thoughts?

IMO he deserved it. It wasn't necessarily the right thing for the Police to do though. As always with these volatile topics opinions will vary.

I wonder if this thread will attain locked status..........

Last edited:
I think it shows more badly on the police that do it. The mayor has spoke out against bad cops, not cops in general. So by turning their backs they are either saying they are part of that bad part or will protect the bad ones.

IBTL.

I think that it was/is totally appropriate.

PS: While Garner's death was unfortunate it certainly wasn't an 'execution'....His arrest was ordered by the black Chief of Patrol and the on-scene supervisor was a black female sargeant.

If Garner hadn't resisted arrest he would still be alive. Also, his obesity was as much a contributing factor as the (police academy taught) 'chokehold'.

The mayor should have said "I told my son Dante to avoid illegal activity and comply with (lawful) police orders and there is a very good chance that all will go well".

Jimzz: The mayor did not differentiate about 'bad' cops...

I am not a police officer but I would turn my back on DeBlasio based on the fact that he
has Sharpton (a documented racial arsonist) to Gracie Mansion regularly....the same for the POTUS...

Quote:
IBTL

lol.. Almost mandatory on threads like this, I suppose, but POLICE discussions are not POLITICAL.

My new best friend in Southeastern PA and some others don't get that.

I think you're trolling.

But to answer your question, the mayor campaigned on a platform that was critical of the police and has been critical of them since he was in office. He's hinted that he sided with the protesters. He publicly stated that he warned his son about "the dangers" of the police.

You don't lead people by being openly, publicly, derogatory towards them. They won't follow you. The mayor has created the rift, sowed the resentment. He's created the situation.

The police commissioner reports to the mayor. The mayor has the power to change the NYPD. But the police won't follow his lead until he acknowledges their good points (today's police are more professional, they have fewer incidents, they are mostly minority ethnicity, crime is down, etc.).

Turning their backs on Deblasio (born William Wilhelm, by the way, he changed his name when he went into NY politics) was disrespectful, but the mayor has created the tension, so easing it has to start with him.

Last edited:
Some of you older NY area fellas may remember Tony Bouza when he had some leadership position in the NYPD. He left NY and came to be chief in Minneapolis in the late 70's. He's probably 85 now, but is still in this area and is sometimes interviewed by local press regarding police matters. He's always said that he has a 'big mouth' and that Guliani loves to be 'out there' and Sharpton is a 'crook'the police union too powerful and actually running things while the present mayor is 'a good guy who made a big mistake he has to fix'. FWIW

Good for the NYPD!! I will say NYC is getting exactly what it deserves with Deblasio though since they elected him.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I think you're trolling.

But to answer your question, the mayor campaigned on a platform that was critical of the police and has been critical of them since he was in office. He's hinted that he sided with the protesters. He publicly stated that he warned his son about "the dangers" of the police.

You don't lead people by being openly, publicly, derogatory towards them. They won't follow you. The mayor has created the rift, sowed the resentment. He's created the situation.

The police commissioner reports to the mayor. The mayor has the power to change the NYPD. But the police won't follow his lead until he acknowledges their good points (today's police are more professional, they have fewer incidents, they are mostly minority ethnicity, crime is down, etc.).

Turning their backs on Deblasio (born William Wilhelm, by the way, he changed his name when he went into NY politics) was disrespectful, but the mayor has created the tension, so easing it has to start with him.

I feel you make good points after your first sentence.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Extremely rude behavior that only typifies the "bad" tough cop image.

I, myself, think that this is how this will be perceived by many.

They did this at a FUNERAL! Couldn't they have voiced their discontent another way?

My wife sings at funerals to honor and respect the dead, and this seems way worse than a cell phone going off during service, which always happens.

Originally Posted By: mulehead
Obama the clown started t his buy call out police for doing there job and then forcing the cop to go to a beer summit . Commie bill is just following Obama lead. The brown death wouldn't have happened if taxes on cigarettes weren't so high. This is what happens to you if you get between a commie and his tax revenue

Now THAT is going to get the thread locked!!!

frown.gif

51 years ago, a great man stood in Washington D.C. and boldly announced:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Sadly, that dream has not been realized. If anything, we are more a polarized nation today than we were half a century ago. While obvious signs of racial hatred have faded, (i.e. white only drinking fountains, bathrooms and public cafes, etc.), the continual question of "race" and "racial motivation" not only continues, but has worked it way into every decision and event.

Garner's death was indeed tragic and unnecessary, but to continually dwell on the color of his skin and the skin color of ALL the police officers involved completely ignores the greater problem - crime and disrespect of those in authority.

Are there corrupt police officers? Yes there are. In the same way there are corrupt government officials, teachers, pastors, priests, janitors, factory workers, garbage collectors, shop keepers, farmers - the list extends to every form and type of employment. But that has nothing to do with the color of their skin but the content of their character and if they are indeed corrupt then their character is corrupt.

But let us remember as well the legion of individuals whose character is good and noble. The thousands upon thousands of individuals who do what is right, who live and work according to principles of honesty and integrity, men and women who daily labor for the greater good of society as a whole and perhaps, without realizing it, fulfill King's dream to look beyond race and simply see a fellow human being.

How then, can we solve the "race" problem in America?

Stop talking about it.

BTW - IBTL
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
IBTL

lol.. Almost mandatory on threads like this, I suppose, but POLICE discussions are not POLITICAL.....

But clearly imo this thread has already gone far beyond a Police 'only' discussion. Which really should come as no surprise.

So with that said,.....IBTL +1.

The timing was unfortunate.

The event in question was a funeral of one of their very own officers. Given the venue, the action was rude and disrespectful to the deceased and his family.

However, the message does have validity. The mayor appears IMO to have taken a tragedy and made it more volatile by politicizing it to advance his own agenda instead of using it as an impetus to improve police procedure(s).

NYC needs to get it together and stop putting tools in Gracie Mansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back