Sad way to treat a Vet

I was trying to get a tool my father purchased after being honorably discharged from the Army and brought back a sad story my Father told me. He was drafted shortly after coming to the USA on a green card. He served in Korea and saw "action". When he came back after serving his full term he applied for a job with the US Post Office. He was told he couldn't get a job there since he wasn't a US Citizen!! On his deathbed he brought it up he said " I did better in life than taking that Post office job" Made me proud and a little sad at the same time as the Country he loved turned its back on him. He was the most Patriotic man I have ever known. I think anyone who serves should be granted Citizenship ESPECIALLY if they are getting shot at for this country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, he is not alone. Just since 9/11, nearly 300 non-citizen green card holders have been killed in action serving this country. Their families struggle to claim benefits. To date, only ~100 have been granted citizenship posthumously. As a veteran who served with a Korean immigrant green card holder, who volunteered to serve, I absolutely agree that military service should be a qualifying factor for US citizenship. To serve a country only to have that country turn its back on you is unacceptable.

I concur that anyone who serves active duty in the military for at least a certain amount of time, or in combat, should be granted citizenship. Our country also should do the same for people in other countries who work with US military forces (like in Afganistan and Iraq).

Lots of Vets get treated poorly, including those born in this country. My Dad was born in this country, was drafted during the Korean conflict, and served and was discharged honorably. But for years he was told he didn't qualify for VA benefits.

About 5 years ago suddenly the VA had a change of heart, and he was admitted to the system. Trying to get an appointment months out, was difficult, only to have it cancelled at the last moment via postcard. Then just try to get another appointment months out...

That was for 'healthcare' that included deductibles just like private insurance. With private doctors you could often be seen the same day, or at most a couple days out. Obviously my Dad trying to use the VA for healthcare didn't last long.

It all reminded me of a WW2 vet I knew, who would often say a popular phrase during WW2 was "Nothing is too good for our boys". It didn't take the "Boys" long to figure out that's exactly what they meant.

Last edited:
Our country and leaders are pretty good at turning their backs on good American Veterans. I believe, If he was good enough to fight for the country he was trying to imagrate to, He is good enough to get a job with the post office. Pretty sad state of affairs. I have to go to the post office every now and then. I think they lowered their hirering standards to just having a pulse.

I was going to say I thought they did do that.
Our country did help many of them, which is great. Many Americans did their best to make that happen. Yet many more did not get the help they deserved. Some of them and their stories were published in the news.

Reactions: Pew
Our country did help many of them, which is great. Many Americans did their best to make that happen. Yet many more did not get the help they deserved. Some of them and their stories were published in the news.
When I was in the Army and the Navy I do know some guys from the Philippines and Mexico who got citizenship for serving.

Lots of ways vets get screwed over. My college roommate lost out on his fully earned GI bill. He was in the reserves for 6 years and deployed to Haiti for most of a year so should have qualified, but could never get the VA to award the benefit to him.

Unfortunately it takes 24 months of active duty time in order for the VA and the gov to consider you a veteran (or 90 days if in a combat zone like the sandbox.)

I enjoyed my time in but man am I glad to have gotten out asap.

The VA hospital is somewhat of a last option. Many years ago (50 to be exact) I had appendicitus which I apparently passed out from; my girlfriend knew I was a vet and somehow got me to the VA hospital. I didn't have any insurance then; they took me, operated, and provided post-op care, for no charge. I had never applied to the VA before........

There are many things involving veterans to be ashamed of and sad about. And there's a reason sadness is equated with being blue. And blue is a significant factor in many of these things involving unacceptable treatment of our military and our veterans. We need to be red, the color of brightness and cheer, not blue.

Although I qualify for free heath care from the VA, I am thankful I have the means to have my own health care with Doctors of my choosing.

Back