2009 Kia Borrego - Is it OEM Filters or Nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking this vehicle over for a friend of mine that just bought it.

The very first thing I observed was a startup rattle and I am going to attribute that to a substandard aftermarket oil filter and I've recommended a visit to the dealer to get the proper oil filter as this is a common issue on Kia/Hyundai.

My question here is what brands, if any work well outside of OEM? The engine in question is the 3.8L V6.

Having owned several KIA/Hyundai vehicles in the United States and in South Korea while working there recommend that you use only OEM filters and as I recall too there was a TSB about using OEM filters only.

There is an old TSB from Hyundai ( that's still active ) about the potential for oil pressure variations with a non-OEM filter generating engine "ticking". I use the the OEM filters on mine because I find them very good quality and it may help if there's a warranty issue down the line.

I think people generally say that OEM filters are usually more about flow than filtration but these Mobis/Hyundai oil filters seem to be better built than the Wix, Bosch, etc. I've used in the past. The seal and canister fits like a glove which I can't say about some of the aftermarkets I've used in the past on other cars.

The TSB is marketing rubbish. Just get any good aftermarket filters and use good oil. Do not buy bottom of the line filters.

Here's the TSB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2R9oQ1UwB-HRWZkazZWT1gyaGc/view?usp=sharing

Quote:
Circulate To: General Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager, Warranty Manager, Service
Advisors, Technicians, Body Shop Manager, Fleet Repair
Technical Service Bulletin
GROUP
NUMBER
ENGINE
12-EM-006
DATE
MODEL
SEPTEMBER 2012
ALL MODELS
USE OF AFTERMARKET ENGINE OIL FILTERS
CAUSING ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE
This bulletin supersedes TSB 05-20-002.
Description:
Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of an aftermarket oil filter. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine, thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.
Vehicles Affected:
All Models
Repair Procedure:
Perform an oil change on the vehicle and replace the aftermarket oil filter with a genuine Hyundai oil filter.
Warranty Information:
Normal warranty procedures apply.
This is NOT a warranty repair.
SUBJECT:
Any concerns caused by previous use of an aftermarket oil filter should be noted in the repair order and discussed with the customer.
NOTICE

Spoken like someone who doesn't own one...this is kind of a dead horse argument but the TSB is not marketing...and it goes back to the mid 2000s...it's more to prevent the issues that arose with using filters w/out bypass valves. In this case, I believe it related to Fram which delisted the part # for Hyundai applications. While I think that aftermarket filters will probably work just fine as long as the specs are in the same range, I've been impressed with Mobis/Hyundai filters. Where I am, they're about the same price as Wix, Bosch, and others and are in no way a cheap filter. Being BITOG, if someone sees a spec of "92.5% or greater" filtration then they automatically call it [censored] when in actual testing it'll test at considerably "greater".

I have two Hyundais. If you don't use the bottom of the barrel filters and good oil they don't knock.

My Accent will knock when the oil is near the OCI limit and if it's a 5w30. 0w20 and it will not knock. I use Hyundai filters but when they are gone probably will go to a longer life filter that filters better.

Please don't tell me that Hyundai will deny a warranty for not using their OEM filters.

Does it take a canister or a cartridge? The TSB is much more relevant to canister filters IMO. I and another member here, sayjac, have long used Wix made Napa Gold cartridge filters without any issue.

As far as canisters go, you should be good with a quality one although if you can get OEM without too much trouble that's a good route too.

The filter specifically pictured in the TSB was an ecore, an absolute garbage filter, so I wouldn't expect every aftermarket to be a problem.

@KCJeep, it's a cartridge.

I'd recommend Mahle filters. Made in Austria. Great stuff. Part number OX351D.

The Beck/Arnley filter for this engine seems to be a reboxed Mahle. Part number 041-0846.

If you have trouble getting the Mahle, tben my distant second choice would be Wix/Napa. Wix's cartridge filters for the Borrego V6 seem to be Korean-made, which is OK here since it's a Korean car.

But my first choice would be Mahle.

Here's the Kia TSB.

Quote:
File Under:
GROUP MODEL
Engine
All
NUMBER
DATE
February 2012
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS
During engine research & development, the mechanical engine lubrication system is designed to operate at specific volumes and pressures to keep the reciprocating & rotary components properly lubricated. Kia has assigned specific guidelines for the use of oil filters (Cartridge / Spin-on) and oil viscosity to conform to; filtration, leak down, oil flow rate and pressure variations, and to keep the lubrication system at optimal performance. The use of aftermarket oil filters / o-rings / improper oil viscosities could result in less than optimal filtration, leak down, oil flow rate and pressure variations due to different oil filter designs and construction. Some of the symptoms and concerns that may arise with aftermarket filters / wrong oil viscosities include but are not limited to:

•Valve Train Noise •Low Oil Pressure With Warning Light On •Engine Knocking Noise
Kia does not test or approve any aftermarket filters and only recommends the use of Kia genuine parts that are designed to operate at the specifications set forth during engine lubrication design and testing. If the engine oil has been changed recently and a noise condition has developed, perform an inspection of the oil filter and or Customer oil change maintenance records to help you in determining if an aftermarket filter or the wrong oil viscosity was used. If the vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket oil filter, perform an oil change and filter using the correct oil grade / viscosity and a replacement genuine Kia oil filter at the customer’s expense. It is always best to use the electronic parts catalog, search by VIN to obtain the correct oil filter P/N; this will avoid confusion and possible engine damage. Note: Customer concerns as a result of incorrect oil viscosity or use of aftermarket oil filter should not be treated as a warranty repair and any related damage is not warrantable, nor is changing the engine oil and filter to isolate this condition.

4144-new-tsb-aftermarket-oil-filters-void-warranty-kia-oil-filter.jpg

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
...The filter specifically pictured in the TSB was an ecore, an absolute garbage filter, so I wouldn't expect every aftermarket to be a problem.

BINGO! And not only is it an ecore it's an ecore using Champ's nitrile combo valve, so it's a double whammy. Other OEM 'equivalent' aftermarkets use silicon adbv's and separate metal bypass, either dome or thread end.

As an example showing an aftermarket filter can work fine, the link shows a PL14459 that exhibited no issues in a Sonata 2.4L. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3574053/1/PureOne_PL14459_cut-open

As for the Hyu/Kia cartridge discussion, got a fair amount of experience with them including for the 3.8L. The H/K oem cartriges are now made by Mahle, but mine have said made in S Korea. They are a well made cartridge but local dealers here want ~$11 for them. I've read that some want $9.

The Napa Gold(Wix) 7250 (used on 3.8L) cartridges I've purchased also made in S Korea are very high quality. And, I've been able to get them for ~$5.25 at local Napa semi annual sale. The NG cartridges are my filter of choice for H/K cartridge applications. Below is a pic of said cartridge. The NG 7050 for H/K is similar quality and construction. Here's a thread for the NG7250. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2873919

BD3323NG7250-2-5.jpg

I don't own a Hyundai or a Kia, but FWIW why NOT use OEM filters if they can be obtained easily for a reasonable price?

Will using a FRAM Ultra make his engine last longer? (not a knock against the FU)

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I don't own a Hyundai or a Kia, but FWIW why NOT use OEM filters if they can be obtained easily for a reasonable price?

Will using a FRAM Ultra make his engine last longer? (not a knock against the FU)

Hyundai does not publish their specs. Other than the Hyundai Australia Youtube that says the filtration rate is 99% 50um on first pass. Many aftermarket filters will exceed this considerably.

What about Purolator L25848?

I see that it was made in Korea.

I'm just trying to compile a list of good/not good.

So far, I see:

1) Kia OEM Filter
2) Mahle - OX351D
3) Beck Arnley - 041-0846
4) Napa Gold - 7250
5) Wix - 57250

Yes the L25848 will fit the 3.8L and last I looked at it, it too was made in S Korea.

I see Puro is now listing a P1 PL version of the same filter. That is a relatively new occurrence as previously they only listed the L Classic version. That said, AAP at least doesn't carry it. The L version is very similar in appearance to the Wix/NG. Looks like AAP has lowered the price from what they used to be, more than oem.

Fram CH10515 also listed as an equivalent application.

Isn't the non OEM filter TSB for older Hyundai's anyways? I have had great luck with both WIX and Fram on my moms Elantra.. Both started the same: quiet. Much easier to buy than OEM too. The engine itself is a bit noisy, but that's it.

OP, did you notice what brand he had on the car? Have you tried WIX, Bosch D+, M1 or even Baldwin? Id personally stay away from Purolators (except the synthetic) because of the tearing issues. My .02

Merry Christmas

Ive run just about every after market filter in my Hyundai veloster and never had any problem what so ever. Ive heard that Hyundai had a tsb but I don't believe it one bit. Also ive heard that the Hyundai oem filters are garbage. Yeah they way a ton and built like a tank but not very efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back