HiFlo Filtro HF171RC Filtering Efficiency

Good Morning Board,

I called Bike Alert, Inc. in Georgia, the North American based Headquarters for HiFlo Filtro inquiring on the filtering efficiency on the above filter, which is spec'd for my 2014 HD Road King.

The tech person stated it is "...an exact match for the OEM..." I asked about the 5 micron filtering ability, they stated it is "...an exact match for the OEM..." I asked for their general efficiency rating, i.e., X% at what micron, they stated it is "...an exact match for the OEM..." Regarding general filtering efficiency, they said, "...we don't give out that information..."

I've been using their product for years, no issues or problems at all, I am assuming it's doing what it's supposed to do, and I love the "nut" at the end of the filter, makes changing it out a breeze. No complaints.

But I "loathe/detest" when a consumer cannot get information about product performance. I understand proprietory product details, i.e., what their secret sauce is in making the filtering element; the special paper they might use as a result of a discovery of an artic tree in the snow falls, or the glue that only comes from the nasal discharge of a tropic monkey bred in isolation from the common monkey - I get that, but to not publish your performance specs is unacceptable, if you ask me.

I think the lack of transperancy in business is appalling, just "trust us." Will a company be there if their product fails and blows an engine? Can we trust they will?

Anyway, just sharing some info.

RevRider

View attachment 206913

View attachment 206914
Good Morning RevRider,

I agree with your sentiments about companies not being honest and transparent. I'm a Harley owner like you and use a Fram PH6022 on my Street Bob because all the specs are clear on the Fram website.
10K mile rating, silicone ADBV, 95% eff. @20 microns.

20230715_084104.jpg

Last edited:
That video shows the Harley filter being made in the USA, so that one can't be a HiFlo. Might be a WIX made filter since that one has a base plate bypass valve.

The 100x microscope view of the media looks like the Harley filter media would be the lower efficiency of the three.
I saw that video also, and the microscope view was impressive as information.
Good Morning RevRider,

I agree with your sentiments about companies not being honest and transparent. I'm a Harley owner like you and use a Fram PH6022 on my Street Bob because all the specs are clear on the Fram website.
10K mile rating, silicone ADBV, 95% eff. @20 microns.

View attachment 207043
Beautiful bike!!

Nothing like knowing what you are paying for in my opinion.

I saw that video also, and the microscope view was impressive as information.

Beautiful bike!!

Nothing like knowing what you are paying for in my opinion.
Good AFternoon Board,

As a follow-up, I was at a Harley Dealer today, the HD Super Premium 5 is "nominal at 5 microns" - see photos. My understanding of the word "nominal" in filter terminology means "about 50% efficient capturing 5 microns." The dealer did not know or have the information on the other efficiency ratings of the filter.

The filter is "louvers," not holes; silicon anti-drain back and really looks like a excellent built product. So it's anybody's guess on the overall efficiency rating on the filter though.

The parts guy I was working with said he's been with HD for 15+ years and has never had a customer ask that question, but he said, "you know, that is a really good question, I'm going to see if any information is available."

I told him, every once in a while a "nut-case" like me comes in to disrupt the ant hill. :)

RevRider

HD Super Premium 5 Oil Filter - #1.jpg

HD Super Premium 5 Oil Filter - #2.jpg

As a follow-up, I was at a Harley Dealer today, the HD Super Premium 5 is "nominal at 5 microns" - see photos. My understanding of the word "nominal" in filter terminology means "about 50% efficient capturing 5 microns." The dealer did not know or have the information on the other efficiency ratings of the filter.

The filter is "louvers," not holes; silicon anti-drain back and really looks like a excellent built product. So it's anybody's guess on the overall efficiency rating on the filter though.
My guess would be if an oil filter is 50% @ 5u, then it's probably around 95% @ 20u. Just my gut feel based on seeing how other filter efficiency vs particle size curves drop off below 20u. It's probably not bad at 20u.

My guess would be if an oil filter is 50% @ 5u, then it's probably around 95% @ 20u. Just my gut feel based on seeing how other filter efficiency vs particle size curves drop off below 20u. It's probably not bad at 20u.
Price was $16.95 at the dealer. Same for their Syn3 oil. It’s too bad they don’t put a nut on the filter like HiFlo Filtro & K&N and few others.

Back