Down one whole quart in 2500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our '00 SSEI(we bought it new) with the supercharged 3800 engine had 254k miles on it when we sold it. We would do 10k mile OCI and be down maybe 1/2 qt. in that time. We always used M1 5/30 and that was a fun car to drive.
We did have to replace the oil pressure sender at around 170k miles, that and sparkplugs, plug wires were all we had to replace. One of the best cars we've owned.

ROD

I had the same thing happen when I used Castrol Edge syn, which I'd gotten on a fantastic deal from one of the auto parts stores. Before in my 2003 3800-powered Buick, I'd run Pennzoil Platinum, and used about a quart in 4000 miles. Then, when the Edge went in, suddenly consumption soared to a quart in 2000.

I got rid of it at the next change and went, I think, with QS Defy 10W-30, which slowed the consumption back to about a quart in 4000.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Let the superstitions begin!

NOT...... The usual place for oil leaks on the 3800s my family has owned are the oil pressure sender and the oil filter adapter gasket. I'd be checking those first things first.

Any oil dripping by where the filter mounts? That's usually the sign of the above 2 issues.

That would have to be barely a weep to lose a quart in 2500 miles. I doubt it would even become a drip.

So I'm taking bets here. I think this thread is just another one of Merks boredom threads,and I doubt that there's any problems with the car,he's just fishing to see who will provide the common responses that always appear in these kinds of threads.
Such as consumption is common when first using a new oil and it may take an interval or 2 for stabilization to occur.
Maybe you need a high mileage oil(insert anecdote here)
Was there a lot of high speed driving on this interval?
What about the pcv?
Was the ground level?
Was the engine hot or cold. If hot then yes it's low,if cold then it's possible that the oil isn't low at all since oil expands when hot,and if you fill it to the top when cold it will be over full hot.

Did I miss any.

Hahaha
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back