Can I use any size oil filter, as long as it fits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certain model year Mazda motors had a cartridge type filter. Mazda made a retrofit that allowed for typical spin on type oil filters to be used. There were questions about which oil filter to use and I was surprised at the number of different models members said you could use. For 35+ years of DIY oil changes, I always thought that oil filters were designed for specific engines. I thought the thread pattern of the oil tube could be different for different car manufactures, they operated at different oil pressures and such. Now i am thinking that basically if it fits without leaking and you are ok with the physical size, (like if you don't care if it sits lower than the oil pan) that you can use any filter.

I am not saying that I would not choose the recommended model for my cars, but if one day I grab the wrong filter for my car from my garage and installed it, and had no leaks, I wouldn't have caused major engine damage, or would I?

Check the car specific web sites for your vehicle, there is endless discussion on what (larger) sizes can be employed. Toyota Camy y 4 cyl engines used the Puro 14476 size from the early 90s until 2002 and then went to the PL 14477 size which is a bit bigger. Then Toyota back specd the 14477 for the earlier cars, which was not a surprise to many of us already using the bigger filter. SAAB, for example used to mount their filters upside down and needed no anti backflow valve. Made no difference if you used a filter which had one, but getting a larger one into the mounting area was difficult.
GM uses pressure relief valves built into many of their engines, filters for those cars don't need an internal to the filter valve, but if there is one it ought not to be set lower than the engine valve since GM deems that value to be important.
Just Google your car, someone has no doubt already come up with a list of what (usually larger) filters having the right specs.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
That's what the quick lube places do. They use the smallest filter that screws on.

The one time I took a car to a quick lube place the filter was about 1/2 the normal size.

Careful out there, there are 18mm, 3/4" (19mm) and 20mm threads and the next size up filter will screw on rather smoothly but blow off later.

There are some chrysler products with mitsubishi engines that take 20mm and domestic engines that take 3/4", and you have to slip a 3/4" wrench over the mounting stud, or not, to see for sure which to use.

Just because it fits doesn't mean it's the right one for your engine though, if it's got the wrong bypass valve pressure it could damage your engine.

Hello, FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
When the car stork delivered a 2012 Mazda3iTouring with the new Skyaktiv 1998cc engine-requiring 0W-20 synthetic oil- I noticed both WIX and Hastings had no listing for it.

Other filter companies listed the filter which fit the previous years' Mazda 2.0L engines.

It took a few months before WIX and Hastings had a listing.

I concluded those two companies are honest. They earned my trust right then and there.
The other ones (which listed the filter for older engines) are on my NO GO TO list.

I'd respectfully suggest NOT monkeying around with filters which merely share thread size and base gasket dimensions. Some may work OK, others not.

Why play this game at all? Kira

You can experiment a little bit within different filter sizes but there are a few important guidelines to stay within;

1st - Don't use a filter without any bypass valve for a setup that specifies an internal filter bypass valve. You don't have to match the specified bypass EXACTLY but try to stay close if possible to avoid any issues. IE: don't use a 20 psi bypass spec filter for an application calling for 8-10 psi.

2nd - Make sure the thread size is EXACTLY the same as the oem application, as mentioned before it might screw on but back off later!

3rd - Make sure the gasket diameter is similar or check the fit after installation to make sure it isn't leaking there. Get a good look at your block when taking an old oil filter off and make sure you have room to spare if you want to go with a bigger gasket diameter.

Generally though you are better off using the oem filter size. I am currently using oversized Fram Ultras, the XG 3980 size, but will be moving back to the XG3387A next; both filters are exactly the same gasket size, and thread size, both have NO bypass valve, as GM uses internal block bypass valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back