Is the G-Oil hype over with

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to see G-Oil on the shelves.. I recently went to that aisle to purchase some Marvel Mystery Oil, and I no longer saw it. I have not seen this oil in quite some time.

Is the hype done?

I'm not sure if the hype is the rebate hype or the environmental hype.

Yes, the rebates are over. No, the earth's environment has not pulled a full 180 making the need for sustainably produced and biodegradable lubricants no longer exist.

I think Walmart stopped carrying the oil but still carries the 2 cycle mix. Amazon still carries both, but at a pretty high price.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
I used to see G-Oil on the shelves.. I recently went to that aisle to purchase some Marvel Mystery Oil, and I no longer saw it. I have not seen this oil in quite some time.

Is the hype done?

I cant find it anymore here in PA.

Cant find Nextgen either.

A shame really, I used both and liked them.

Seems bio or recycled oils do not sell well at at all.

Maybe it was too early for products of that type?

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

Is the hype done?

I cant find it anymore here in PA.

Cant find Nextgen either.

A shame really, I used both and liked them.

Seems bio or recycled oils do not sell well at at all.

Maybe it was too early for products of that type?

Though up for interpretation, it could be an invention for a problem that didn't exist. Used G-Oil is as contaminated as any other used oil. And, though it will not biodegrade inside an engine.. I feel that all it did was confuse folks.

Tell me, what is wrong with presently produced motor oil? And the status of "Blue Petroleum?"

I remember NextGen as well. Green bottles.

Good question, as to where they went.

21.gif

They even have purple bottles of oil at Walmart now. How are they?

Last oil I bought I think I went with.. one of the 0W-20s. I forget the exact kind.

I would buy it if the new advanced 0w20 was available for
at 26$+ you are up there with m1 EP 0w20

I still have 4 nearly free 5qt jugs of the old 5w30 full syn in the garage.. but only 1 car to use them in.

Last edited:
The problem with NexGen is people expect a lower price on something where the raw product is provided for free/cost of hauling. Failing some PQi tests probably didn't help either.

As for G-Oil, motor oil is a highly competitive marketplace that requires a good amount of marketing money to penetrate. If it was marketed under an existing brand it might have done better. Since it cost more than most synthetics and no one heard of it, automatically it was a hard sell.

I talked to their head of R&D over the summer. They lost Walmart but are gaining traction in some areas where green oil change stations are popping up. I recall that they plan to get the new formula back on the shelves of Walmart next year.

Their stock is performing terribly, I haven't listened to any quarterly calls.

It's a great product, tallow base (beef fat), good additive pack. My CTS-V seemed to like running it.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
The problem with NexGen is people expect a lower price on something where the raw product is provided for free/cost of hauling. Failing some PQi tests probably didn't help either.

EXACTLY. Valvoline's statement is that the oil is "re-refined" and that is why it is the same price. That may or may not be true, but your analysis is correct - they get the base oil pretty much for free.

I bet it would fly off the shelves if it was 20% cheaper (pqia failures aside)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back