Which oil is best per all testing criteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t want none of this smoke…
1705203885427.jpeg

Some here believe oils like HPL, Amsoil, etc. are the "Best". Then you have the high on Fram folks that have tunnel vision. Oxidation/Viscosity probably far up the latter on importance.

🍿

whatever brand you belive in,there are many good choices,some common brands at wallmart to mail order hard to get brands or not as popular generally viewed the best,,pick any brand,,myself i like Amsoil ss .torco,HPL,royal purple,red line,,,,,

Project Farm likes Penzoil Ultra Platinum. And he is the messiah come again

PUP is an excellent product.

But PFs "testing" of lubes is nothing but YT garbage hackery at its finest. I wouldn't trust any of his oil tests to make any tribologic decision, ever.
As is said, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I’m can tell you for certain though…

The best retail store to buy Amsoil in my region… Napa at 2513 George Washington Memorial Hwy on Rte 17 northbound side of the road in Hayes Gloucester Va.

That guy had almost EVERY Amsoil product in their book in store at that location… No lie… He told me that and it was obvious he had a ton of Amsoil products in his Napa store. He had all kinds of Amsoil oils, transmission oils, diesel oils, gear oils, tractor hydraulic fluid, additives… It was frieking amazing. Full Cases and case of all of Amsoil motor oils… SS, XL . He was a really nice, good guy too. First time I have met him and he was great to talk to. He told me he sells $100,000 plus of Amsoil oils etc per year… I believe that with no doubt.

… that’s not much. Just saying. If you use sales per year as a metric. That’s extremely low.

forgot to mention Schaeffers 8008 mid saps 5w-30 if a MB-229.52 oil is needed or their 9000 5w-30 is very good oil,,rember Bob the founder of this site recomended /sold Schaeffer's products

… that’s not much. Just saying. If you use sales per year as a metric. That’s extremely low.
I don’t disagree. Doesn’t mean it isn’t 1) surprising given where this is happening and 2) this is a boutique brand of oil. 3) Per scale size of that store selling that much of a boutique oil per month is rather impressive. 4) This store’s main focus is auto parts sales with commercial accounts with local shops NOT motor oil sales.

You don’t know about everywhere else and all places. I know it because I lived there and still have family living there. No way I thought a boutique oil would sell hardly any amount of Amsoil or any other boutique oil out of a small Napa store in that county. Hell I would have thought that store in that location would be lucky to sell $10,000 a year of any boutique oil. Nor would I would think that little store would carry ALL of those Amsoil products that store had.

Last edited:
Like all the responses. Proves this is more a sociological question than a scientific/technical one. Party on!
Maybe that's because the quest in your original post wasn't one based on science either. Your lightly veiled question was one where no clear answer exists, and I suspect you already knew that. If you really wanted to know the answer, you'd define your own parameters and then go look up the VOA data yourself.

Many of us have been around long enough to know that VOAs don't assure you that much, other than some min/max standards are met for a particular specification. VOAs are useful when you want to know whence you came (knowing a starting Si or oxidation value, for example; but those have nothing to do with your basic question). Further, we know that many very important additives used by some companies don't even show up in a VOA. We also know that some lubes are nearly immune to volatilization, and therefore are difficult if not impossible to accurately measure well in a typical NOACK test. Hence, VOAs won't tell you what's "best", or "worst" for that matter.

Typical of many BITOGers, you appear to be more concerned about what a lube looks like in the bottle rather than what it does in the crankcase.
After 6+ years of being here, I would have thought you'd have known better by now.

Last edited:
forgot to mention Schaeffers 8008 mid saps 5w-30 if a MB-229.52 oil is needed or their 9000 5w-30 is very good oil,,rember Bob the founder of this site recomended /sold Schaeffer's products
Yes and he founded the site to do what?

Sell oil!

Nothing wrong with that. At all! And he found out everyone going to battle for their favorite.

just wanted to point out to the OP that this may also be what he is looking for (Schaeffers),yes dnewton3 makes a good observation, as one oil vs application can be questionable (or lack of) on voa testing,, we ,,really have to rely on much more extensive testing other than just opinions, it would be nice if some manufactures state more in-depth information on their product lines,,have to give credit to Amsoil for doing a good attempt on compairison testing with a third party lab,,field /road testing results can be informative along with proper lab tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back