Loose connection on started fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

The car in question is a family members 1992 Toyota Corolla. The issue is that there is a connection that I believe comes from the ignition switch to the starter, to tell the starter when to run, so this is leading to a intermittent hard start/no start.

It is a spade/blade style connector, I have tried bending the clamps on the spade end down to try and make it have a better connection, however this only worked for a short period of time.

My next plan of attack is to solder the blade end, to the spade end to force it to keep a good connection.. however the location of the connection is going to make this more than difficult..

I wanted to check with you guys and see if you had any recommendations for me? I know soldering it is not ideal but its the best I can come up with on short notice.

I would cut the corroded spade off and crimp/solder on a new one on the cable feeding your internal solenoid..You will have to make everything shiney(?)clean to get the solder to stick.I would not solder directly to the starter. The heat needed would likely affect the internal mating connection in the starter.I would have the battery disconnected if you solder. If that does not solve it,likely you have a solenoid issue with the starter,if it is internal.Keep in mind if this connection activates the solenoid, you will either have a crank or no crank condition, not a hard start.I suspect an issue with the solenoid/starter assembly.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I would cut the corroded spade off and crimp/solder on a new one on the cable feeding your internal solenoid..You will have to make everything shiney(?)clean to get the solder to stick.I would not solder directly to the starter.

I agree.

There may exist an original Toyota wiring harness piece at the dealership. OEM prices are fantasy prices, sometimes they're unbelievably cheap, it's always worth looking into.

I bought an ignition switch for an Odyssey which included about 5 feet of wiring harness with the all related screws and zip ties at a Honda dealership for only $38. Toyota might have something like that available for your Corolla.

Originally Posted By: Skid
When it is not starting, is it clicking or is it just dead? If it is clicking, then there's a problem with the contacts within the starter.

^^Very common problem with Nippondenso [Toyota] starters.^^

There is a thick copper washer inside that burns up. Often it is the only thing wrong with the starter. The washer can be purchased at your friendly local Mom & Pop Starter/Alternator/Generator rebuilding shop for a couple of bucks.

+1 on this. ^ The current drawn by the ignition switch connection on the starter is very low. Older Toyota starters often have a problem with the LARGE contacts inside the starter which switch the actual starter motor draw. The classic whack the starter with a broomstick often makes the connection work THAT one time. If you are drawing enough current to heat up the spade lug connection there must be something else going on. Once the female connector is heated enough, it looses it's "temper" and doesn't grip well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back