What Ever... winter tires can be PRICELESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: Miller88
How strongly enforced is the mandated snow tires?

I feel that the roads would be much safer if all people used snow tirese ... but I dont like government mandates. Conflict of interest for me!

$ 300 cdn fine for non-compliance. A friend said he saw a winter safety checkstop once, where they were checking tires etc. And if you get a speeding ticket etc., they will look at your tires, too.

Quebec already had a 90% winter tire useage rate BEFORE it became law. It is now estimated to be 95% plus...

In my province, Alberta, winter tire useage hovers around 50%... and we just got our first blast of winter last week...2*F, lots of snow... packed snow and ice on most roads...

Must be all those SUBARU guys on all seasons throwin' off the stats...! Actually, here the problem is trucks... almost never see a truck with winter tires...

Where do you get your stats on winter tire usage in Quebec? Before the law, I highly doubt 90% had snow tires. I know I didnt and most others didnt..but again winter tires were not well known prior to the law become mandatory. Glad it is, alot of people are bad drivers..but I hate the idea of how much added tax revenue it earns when we already get hit with a 9.975% provincial tax in addition to the 5% federal on all purchases..along with filing 2 separate tax returns...

Most drivers around here are so bad they feel because they have em..that its like driving in summer so no need to slow down. Impatient drivers are the problem. If everyone drove slow and steady, we could all run bald summers in winter and be fine. (Ok im exaggerating but still) I dont find the roads any safer than they were. Lets spend the money on driver ed.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Most drivers around here are so bad they feel because they have em..that its like driving in summer so no need to slow down. Impatient drivers are the problem. If everyone drove slow and steady, we could all run bald summers in winter and be fine. (Ok im exaggerating but still) I dont find the roads any safer than they were. Lets spend the money on driver ed.

It's not all about safety. With Winter tires on my FWD cars (past and present) I can get out of my steep paved frosted driveway with zero drama. With All Seasons, I may spin wheels for quite a while, or maybe not get out at all. Once on the main road it is well traveled and salted, so like I said, safety is not the issue.

Yes, I can and do salt my own driveway. You should see the brown spots downhill from it after last Winter. With Winter tires I can usually just pass on the salting. Good for my grass, my shrubs, the environment and my wallet.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

True. An idiot with winter tires is still an idiot. Lots of those here too.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
You can TELL a driver how great winter tires are...

But you can't make them buy some.... unless you live in Quebec, Canada...

Where winter tires are required by law...! The ONLY province to do so.

In BC, if you drive on rural highways (most highways in BC that are outside the greater Vancouver area and southern Vancouver Island), you are required to drive on tires with M+S or mountain snowflake. This is new to BC drivers for this winter to my understanding. http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/faq.htm#winter_tires

I'm in Central Alberta and there are not many Alberta drivers with winter tires....maybe 20-30% based on my count at work.

I am on a set of studded General Altimax Arctics on a Ranger 4x4. Tire csbles in the cab if the weather is really nasty.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back