What Ever... winter tires can be PRICELESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
When I lived in Virginia, snow tires made a world of difference in the snow.

Where at in VA? I don't know anyone in VA that runs snows.

The #1 vehicle off thE road in wrecks? Subaru.

Where did that statistic come from?

Drive up and down the highway in NY after a snowstorm. Subarus are first (not the boy racer STi models, either) followed by pretty much any generic AWD / 4x4

So in other words, just your personal opinion.

Having lived in Vermont for several years, I would say that Subarus with out of state plates are number one in loss of control crashes.

The common factors in all these Subaru crashes? (Derived from the conversations I've had when I stopped to help these poor folks who found themselves in a ditch).

Driver from "down South" reckons that AWD goes great in snow. (But fails to consider how well AWD stops in snow). Driver from "down South" bought his car to "go great in snow" and brings it up to my ski town. Driver from "down South" reckons that "all seasons" are good for all seasons and has never heard of snow tires. AWD provides good grip on acceleration in slippery conditions, hiding just how bad the snow/slush/ice truly is. Driver of said AWD Subaru leaves road on a corner, or slams into car in front of them when they discover that traction during braking and steering come primarily from the interface of tire and road and not from the drive system....

Locals drive some POS with 4 really good snow tires and laugh at all the flat landers....

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Locals drive some POS with 4 really good snow tires and laugh at all the flat landers....

Every job I have had, I have always worked with that person. Lives way out in the woods or hills and drives a 2WD pickup or FWD car every day in the winter. Never late, always on time.

Having lived in Vermont for several years, I would say that Subarus with out of state plates are number one in loss of control crashes.

The common factors in all these Subaru crashes? (Derived from the conversations I've had when I stopped to help these poor folks who found themselves in a ditch).

Driver from "down South" reckons that AWD goes great in snow. (But fails to consider how well AWD stops in snow). Driver from "down South" bought his car to "go great in snow" and brings it up to my ski town. Driver from "down South" reckons that "all seasons" are good for all seasons and has never heard of snow tires. AWD provides good grip on acceleration in slippery conditions, hiding just how bad the snow/slush/ice truly is. Driver of said AWD Subaru leaves road on a corner, or slams into car in front of them when they discover that traction during braking and steering come primarily from the interface of tire and road and not from the drive system....

The generalizations you make about the south are insulting and I'm not even from the south. Also, I find it funny that you call them flat landers when Virginia has over 30 peaks higher than Mount Mansfield.

Glock19 - I understand that you're insulted....but you have no reason to be...look where I live now...I made no generalizations about the South, I just said from "down South"...

And "Down South" when you're in Vermont means Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts and other "flatlander" states.

"Flatlander" has long been the Vermont vernacular to describe the tourists who come up to Vermont. While Virginia has a few mountains that are higher than Vermont, it has nowhere near the weather, the snow, or the skiing (this, I know...having lived in Stowe, I can't ski in Virginia...it's just too boring)...and we weren't talking about mountain height, we were talking about snow tires...

You're insulted, because you assumed I was talking about you, but I wasn't...I was talking about the several (not a few, several, including 3 in ONE DAY) Subaru drivers...who all shared a common vision: buy an AWD and tires don't matter.

I gave one of those flatlanders a ride up a steep, winding, snow-covered road after watching him wreck his car (he didn't make one of the turns, whereas I did). I tried to help him get out of the snowbank, but he had wiped out badly and was in the ditch under the snow, too...

As we drove up the road that he couldn't handle, he remarked that he didn't know that Volvos (mine was a 240 wagon) came in AWD...I replied that "they don't, I just have real snow tires"...I could have said something more to the point, for example, "they don't, but I know how to drive"...but my ancient RWD car was climbing a hill that caused him to wreck in his AWD...so the point was made.

Last edited:

They imply that all you need is a Subaru. Sheep believe this. The #1 vehicle off thE road in wrecks? Subaru.

I like their products but they falsely advertise them to the uninformed

Always entertaining when people MAKE STUFF UP...!

AWD works well eliminating peoples greatest driving fear... getting stuck... Do all the other car brands tell people they NEED winter tires. Nope. Neither does Subaru...

Blame the tire industry, or the DOT or whoever, for labelling so many tires ALL-SEASON or M+S, when many of them are terrible in winter conditions. How is the average consumer supposed to know the difference when ... a) the car maker puts it on the car as oem, and b) It says right on the tire "all-season and mud and SNOW..."

Originally Posted By: geeman789

They imply that all you need is a Subaru. Sheep believe this. The #1 vehicle off thE road in wrecks? Subaru.

I like their products but they falsely advertise them to the uninformed

Always entertaining when people MAKE STUFF UP...!

AWD works well eliminating peoples greatest driving fear... getting stuck... Do all the other car brands tell people they NEED winter tires. Nope. Neither does Subaru...

Blame the tire industry, or the DOT or whoever, for labelling so many tires ALL-SEASON or M+S, when many of them are terrible in winter conditions. How is the average consumer supposed to know the difference when ... a) the car maker puts it on the car as oem, and b) It says right on the tire "all-season and mud and SNOW..."

Funny you should bring that up , many manufacturers recommend snow tires in the winter.

There are numerous videos that demonstrate the advantages. Of course you don't believe that.

Come to ny when we get a foot of heavy wet stuff. Your all seasons will leave you disappointed. Or you will just accuse us of witchcraft

Well tonight all those people in Colorado Springs that think that Colorado Springs only gets snow during night, which melts next morning, got stuck with their all-seasons. The roads were glare ice, and maybe that is understatement.
However, for Bridgestone Blizzaks no issue, except little bit of slipping uphill while waiting for green light.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Well tonight all those people in Colorado Springs that think that Colorado Springs only gets snow during night, which melts next morning, got stuck with their all-seasons. The roads were glare ice, and maybe that is understatement.
However, for Bridgestone Blizzaks no issue, except little bit of slipping uphill while waiting for green light.

You're making that up. That's silly to think that snow tires are better. It's a farce and just made up to make money for the tire companies.

I've got a WRX. I've driven in winter conditions and understand the limits. I don't do it often enough that I can justify winter tires. Still, some healthy skepticism of the limits of AWD goes a long way. I recall a coworker with a Audi A4 Quattro who claimed AWD was easily a substitute for winter tires. I winder if he ever lost control.

I have seen a WRX with a ski rack and Dunlop Winter 3D tires in a garage here. Owner was probably driving around the Bay Area with them and took it up to the mountains on weekends. Seemed very practical, but I wouldn't be up in the snow often enough. If it's really bad, I'll just put on chains and drive slowly.

man i miss my wrx! they have a full time power split IIRC. i never put snow tires on my wrx, even with all seasons it was an absolute beast in the winter time.

Originally Posted By: chado_skins
man i miss my wrx! they have a full time power split IIRC. i never put snow tires on my wrx, even with all seasons it was an absolute beast in the winter time.

Yep, going forward, I bet it was a beast!
On other hand, seeing Subaru in my rearview mirror is probably my greatest fear, as well as F-150, Dodge Ram and other trucks.
Sometimes I wonder whether those drivers ever had introduction to basic math and physics.

Last edited:

Funny you should bring that up , many manufacturers recommend snow tires in the winter.

There are numerous videos that demonstrate the advantages. Of course you don't believe that.

Come to ny when we get a foot of heavy wet stuff. Your all seasons will leave you disappointed. Or you will just accuse us of witchcraft

Funny, I never run all-season in the winter, and haven't for 15 years... I run fresh, premium studless winter tires on an AWD platform...

Currently Toyo GSI-5's and Nokian Hakka. R's... Before that Blizzaks, Yokohamas IG's, Michelin Pilot Alpins etc.

You just keep making factless, opinionated blanket statements.. and we keep laughing.... AT YOU...!

Cheers.

On other hand, seeing Subaru in my rearview mirror is probably my greatest fear, as well as F-150, Dodge Ram and other trucks.
Sometimes I wonder whether those drivers ever had introduction to basic math and physics.

Last time I drove to Lake Tahoe in the winter, there was a long line of tailgaters in the snow. I was driving in 2nd gear going 25 MPH hoping I didn't get rear ended. I left plenty of stopping distance, but the drivers behind me were impatient.

I would love to be able to justify a set of winter tires and new rims.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Last time I drove to Lake Tahoe in the winter, there was a long line of tailgaters in the snow. I was driving in 2nd gear going 25 MPH hoping I didn't get rear ended. I left plenty of stopping distance, but the drivers behind me were impatient.

I would love to be able to justify a set of winter tires and new rims.

Last winter when I was driving in Blizzard, most of the cars in the ditch were Subaru's, F-150, Ram, Tahoe etc. It is not whether those car can get from point A to point B, it is driver who thinks that just because it has 4x4 or heavy car, that he/she is fastates.
Not to mention that I had to pull out WRX last winter with my CC from the ditch.
It is basic understanding that 4x4 works while you go forward. Other then that, if tires are even best all-seasons, well you might as well see a guy with winter tires passing line of cars following you
cool.gif

Funny, most of the cars i see in the ditch are poorly DRIVEN cars of almost every brand out there...some on winter tires, some on all-seasons, heck, some even on summers... some AWD, some FWD, some RWD...

One could MAYBE say that SUV's and trucks are over-represented, but again, trucks and suv's are the most common vehicles on the road, so who really knows.

Last time I was crawling on the highway in a winter storm, there were dozens of cars in the ditch. I DO recall seeing a SUBARU in the ditch too... maybe your right...!

Funny, most of the cars i see in the ditch are poorly DRIVEN cars of almost every brand out there...some on winter tires, some on all-seasons, heck, some even on summers... some AWD, some FWD, some RWD...

+1 Someone without winter driving skills can put any car in a ditch, it has nothing to do with the car.

Overconfidence would seem to be the common factor.

It's nice to have winter tires, but even better to know they don't make a vehicle perform like it's dry pavement at 70 deg F.

I remember a Nissan commercial for one of the SUVs. They were showing it carving through a slalom course in the snow. Of course it was a professional driver, but in little print there was a disclaimer that they used winter tires. I'm thinking that most didn't notice and came to the conclusion that it could do that with factory tires.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Overconfidence would seem to be the common factor.

It's nice to have winter tires, but even better to know they don't make a vehicle perform like it's dry pavement at 70 deg F.

I remember a Nissan commercial for one of the SUVs. They were showing it carving through a slalom course in the snow. Of course it was a professional driver, but in little print there was a disclaimer that they used winter tires. I'm thinking that most didn't notice and came to the conclusion that it could do that with factory tires.

That is right on the point. I see here in Colorado people driving not only on studless tires in the summer, but on studded. I am walking on campus, and there is horrible noise. I turn around, and yep, guy drives his car with studded tires on 92 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back