Avoid Fill Up When Tank Truck Unloading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
35+ years ago the advice was to avoid stopping to refuel when the tank truck was unloading because it would stir up the water and debris from the bottom of the in-ground storage tanks and you were likely to get water in your fuel tank to later cause problems. So the question is, does it matter anymore? Don't they put alcohol in all fuel so that water is not the issue? But what about debris being stirred up? I have been avoiding a station that is 13 cents cheaper per gallon because the last two times I went there the tank truck was there and I don't want to have the engine sputtering if I get some water in the mix.

I'll still pass if the truck is there, unless I have no choice. Old habits are hard to break.
grin.gif

I haven't had a problem and have done it. I like to think the tanker can get a few gallons more in the store's tank because of me, and that somehow the increased efficiency will lead to cheaper prices.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I like to think the tanker can get a few gallons more in the store's tank because of me, and that somehow the increased efficiency will lead to cheaper prices.

Right out of high school I used to manage a gas station. Fuel is ordered by the number of gallons, not "fill it."

I've also managed a tank farm at the airport, same thing. We'd order a specific number of gallons.

Originally Posted By: opus1
I'll still pass if the truck is there, unless I have no choice. Old habits are hard to break.
grin.gif

I do the same thing, even though I agree that it is probably safe.

Originally Posted By: opus1
grin.gif

+1

I wonder how many times a person, who won't fill up if the tanker is dumping fuel in, pulls in seconds after the tanker has left? Me? I don't care if the tanker is there fueling, never had a problem. As said above, a lot better tank filters now plus fiberglass tanks.

When I pulled the fuel tank on my 1993 Suburban to change the fuel pump (of course its a GM) the inside of the tank was pristine. And I was not fussy about gas stations. I usually go to cheap high volume gas stations.

Old wives tale. If you are worried about that being an issue at your station, maybe you should be looking for a new station.

Yeah - the fuel is filtered on the way to the nozzle - especially water filters.

However, I wonder what it means at Costco, where they meter the additive into their tanks before it's "splash blended" by the action of filling it. I've seen photos of the setup at a typical Costco, and it will be maybe 3 or 4 tanks. I figured that they can shut off their tanks individually, although I'm guessing it's something like two regular and one premium.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I wonder how many times a person, who won't fill up if the tanker is dumping fuel in, pulls in seconds after the tanker has left? Me? I don't care if the tanker is there fueling, never had a problem. As said above, a lot better tank filters now plus fiberglass tanks.

Since the tanker operator usually finishes, then goes in and does the paperwork, by the time the tanker is pulling out, the in-ground tanks should be pretty well settled.

Lets see, fiberglass/plastic in ground tank, no debris issues like in old steel tanks. Fuel is filtered before it is put into the tanker, fuel is filtered at the pump itself and then a filter on my vehicle (2 on my truck, 1 in tank, 1 inline).

Nope, I have no problem filling while the tanker truck is there, although I can't remember the last time I did it.

This does happen. Every station owner is responsible for checking water levels in their tanks. If water is above a certain height they have to be pumped, if not the water gets sucked up into the pump. Fiberglass tanks get water in them, I've seen it happen. You guys have no idea what sits on the bottom of some tanks, it is not clear water. You guys think what you want, I never fill up when a station gets a drop.

I know a guy who completely wiped out a fuel system in his Dodge Cummins due to debris being stirred up by the tanker truck while he was fueling. They had to replace his entire fuel system.

While newer fiberglass tanks are more prone to be cleaner the tank trucks are steel, along with the pipeline delivering it to the distribution center. Just because one hasn't experienced a problem doesn't mean that dirt, water, (condensation) and anything else is in the bottom of these tanks, because it is.

I only am concerned when a tanker is dumping fuel, when the prices are swinging different directions. Most retail outlets, including gas stations, use the Last In First Out accounting method. That means, the price of the fuel being brought in is the price that is going to be on the pump soon after. When fuel is on the rise, and I see a tanker come in, I will fuel as quickly as possible before he completes the dump. If prices are on a downward trend, I pass on by and come back a little later and top off at the lower fuel price.

If a guy wiped out the fuel system on his Cummins over fuel being stirred up, he had bigger issues than the fuel he bought. Cummins is very meticulous about the fuel filtering on their engines. That owner must have been using a larger than recommended micron filter for the engine, not used the proper filter, poorly maintained his fuel system, or had other issues already going on. I go thru over 21,000 gallons of diesel every year and have taken at least two heavy diesels to over 1 million miles without fuel related issues and have 326,000 miles on my current one. The two I took to over 1 million were both Cummins engines. I fuel from Nebraska to Ohio, even when tankers are dumping. All year round. Even if something got stirred up, the fuel filters on the vehicle should take care of it. Might cause a more frequent filter change, but nothing that got stirred up should ever make it to the engine. Water, crud, nothing but fuel should make it thru the proper filters on a diesel engine.

Completely wiped out the filter allowing trash to reach the pump. The guy is actually an engineer who works for Chryslers Ram division, on the very truck he owns. He did get the station to pay for his repairs, as I remember it was over $5,000.

I did get to see a sample he saved for evidence, full of sand, rust, and water.

Isn't water in gas storage tanks a thing of the past with ethanol fuels that will absorb the water?

Originally Posted By: hatt
Isn't water in gas storage tanks a thing of the past with ethanol fuels that will absorb the water?

Not really. Water still needs to be removed. My understanding is that often when the pumps seem to be really slow, it's because the water filters need to be replaced. I hear they even filter out water that's blended with the ethanol/gasoline mixture.

Also - methanol is supposed to be better at removing water, but it is rather corrosive to may fuel system parts and requires a boatload of corrosion inhibitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back