Filling up when fuel truck is at gas station?

I understand it’s Kalifornistan, but seriously!!???

Kindly show us the written regulation that says gasoline/diesel dispensing stations must dig up and replace their tanks every couple of years.

Because it’s sooooo inexpensive to safely remove said tanks and install new ones. Not!

Then again, after 2030, who cares?
I don't know the regs but every station around gets dug up every couple years or so.

If CA has such stringent standards as to dig them up every few years, I'd build a vault where it is easy just to lift them out and inspect or replace them. There has to be an easier way to comply with that, I would think. But I'm no expert nor am i an engineer.

Because it’s sooooo inexpensive to safely remove said tanks and install new ones. Not!
Supposedly replacing those old tanks was so cost-prohibitive that it's what put most independent stations out of business.

I can report that I did it last month and survived.

The truck didn't have any hoses out, but started up and left before I was finished. Thinking of posts like this, I made a note of it with my mpg info.

The fact that Costco changes them when flow diminishes indicates that the filter is being impacted by something. So, yes there is probably still some particles in the fuel coming up from the tank. Particles can come from the metal pipeline. Also I have been inside large storage tanks on tank farms and they are not exactly pristine. So unless there is a filter there doing its job you are at risk.
To be clear, they told me when the slightest slowing of pump flow appears, the filters are changed. If no slowing occurs, then monthly. Costco stations get 6-10 tankers a day, so sometimes hard to avoid.

I never really thought about it, but I will from now on. Now, I had my share of bad fuel over the years. The times that I got nailed it was from some non-standard gas station that I had to use because I was in a pinch. Otherwise, I try to go to my favorite newer stations with newer tanks and clean operation. For what it’s worth, I use Chevron 91 because that’s the highest standard we have. We do have one Loves station that carries 110 but it’s cost prohibitive, and I’m certainly not tuned for that.

I drive a lot, so I’ve had to do this a lot. Never had a problem. High-volume stations are not going to have issues.

I’ll avoid doing it when it’s easy/practical, but wouldn’t lose any sleep over it either. I wouldn’t do too much more than go to a station across the street instead or something.

If it’s an issue at all, I’d guess it’d be a larger problem at a station with low turnover - likely not at a Costco/or a busy station like a Sheetz, Kwik Trip, Love’s etc.

Back