How long did you go on factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Being I'm an old timer, I change my break-in oil before 1,000 miles. Some engines I see glitter, some I don't. Cheap insurance, though.

+1 - this is my "recipe" as well; 1K and dump it, another 3-4K and dump it again, and then assume normal OCI.

I change mine out before 1K. May not be necessary, but the pics below show why I choose to change early.

The drain plug (with magnet) from My 2006 Sierra with less than 1K miles:

DrainPlug8_24_2006s_zps0b8e3448.jpg

The same engine and drain plug at 99K (4200 mi OCI):

34b633e5-1801-49db-b381-174d12c04571_zpsd1815541.jpg

Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
I went 5,000 miles and used the free Toyota service to change it then.

I suppose I could have done that also, since I got 2 years of free oil changes. Problem is, I wouldn't trust my dealer to check the oil, let alone change it. After all, the rear diff was almost 2 pints low on lube when I changed it out at just under 3000 miles. They sure didn't do a good job of checking out vehicle before letting me drive it off the lot.

Besides changing it early but not to early is also for the seals to set. Which is why I did my 2000 Neon at 500. My next new car, a SUV, I will change it at 500 with FF oil + cheap filter, 1500 with FF oil + cheap filter, and at 5k. At the 5k OCI mark I will then start with my synthetic oil stash.

Poor old retarded OEMs that know how to produce vehicles but are apparently clueless when coming to operation and maintenance requirements for the vehicles.

2014 Sonata 2.4:
500 mls then 1250 and 2000. Now has 5435 mls. Every 3750 mls going fwd.

2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T:
500 mls then 2000. Every 3000 mls since. Currently has 19,000 mls.

Went exactly 3000 miles on the odometer. As I was approaching that number, I actually drove a few times around the block so I could park it in the garage for the oil change. That was precisely the manufacturer's recommended interval for the first change.

Purchased my car and changed out the synthetic 0W-20 factory-fill oil to a cheapo conventional 5w-20 and a magnetic drain plug upon bringing it home. Changed it again at 250miles (old oil had LOTS of shiny particles), changed again at 500 miles (old oil still had lots of shiny particles), and yet again at 1000 miles with conventional 10w-30 (moderate amounts of particles in old oil).

Changed the oil again at 1500 miles with conventional 5w-30 (PYB) - old oil was honey colored, no noticable shiny particles anymore. Will continue to change oil at 3mo/3750mi cycles here on.

(P.S. I did not notice any major mpg changes between all the different viscosities I used).

2014 Lexus ES 350
Dealer recommended first oil change was 10k miles. I did it after 6k and 6 months with Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
On most leased vehicles until trade in.

LOL There's a lot of truth to that. That's the reason why I would avoid buying a lease return unless I was 100% certain of the service history. And it would have to be a slamming deal.

Well, I just bought a new Cadillac SRX. The OM clearly states to change according to the OLM. The dealer says to bring it in at 20% on the OLM. That's what I'll do. At 20% I'll get a fresh shot of AC Delco Dexos and an AC filter. Free for the first 50,000.

Originally Posted By: cookiemonster
Purchased my car and changed out the synthetic 0W-20 factory-fill oil to a cheapo conventional 5w-20 and a magnetic drain plug upon bringing it home. Changed it again at 250miles (old oil had LOTS of shiny particles), changed again at 500 miles (old oil still had lots of shiny particles), and yet again at 1000 miles with conventional 10w-30 (moderate amounts of particles in old oil).

Changed the oil again at 1500 miles with conventional 5w-30 (PYB) - old oil was honey colored, no noticable shiny particles anymore. Will continue to change oil at 3mo/3750mi cycles here on.

(P.S. I did not notice any major mpg changes between all the different viscosities I used).

This is BITOG as its best, for this break in procedure you have to be nuts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil

I'm an old school nut ... Are you prejudiced against nuts?

Originally Posted By: virginoil

I'm an old school nut ... Are you prejudiced against nuts?

No prejudice here, just my opinion regarding the oil regime process you are following which I want to discourage.

If you want to change your oil every week or month or when you have a warm fuzzy feeling or whatever etc go for it.

If you are bold enough to post it then be prepared to to accept the feedback it deserves IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back