How long did you go on factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Olas
Engine FF
As soon as I get home from the dealership,
The end of the next day (typically 150-200 miles)
1000 miles
5000 miles
Every 5k thereafter

Gearbox FF
Every 20k thereafter

I've done a few that way myself. You have to be careful mentioning it here though.
wink.gif

I used to do something similar. I drain the FF at 1K, run a 3K drain on anything close to the recommended viscosity that I happened to have on hand and then go to normal drain intervals.
The only reason I didn't do this with our '12 Accord is that Honda recommended strongly that the FF be run for a full normal interval.
The FF has a lot of moly, whether from assembly lube or the fact that the old SM HGMO had 500 ppm of moly.
Was I wise to run the FF to 15% MM, about 8700 miles?
I don't know but I will know in another hundred thousand or so miles.
Nothing to apologize for either way. Oil is cheap while a good long term ownership experience is priceless.

On my 2500 Ram Truck, I have a 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel. The Owners Manual calls for 7500 Miles, 500hrs. or 6 Months which ever comes first. I have had my truck since 11Mar16, I have just under 3895.7 miles on it. So I took it and had the Oil and Oil Filter changed. I would have waited until I had 7500 miles on the truck, but I took the truck into the shop to get a key Fob programed so I had them change the Oil & Filter.

Let's see..... my truck I changed at 3200 miles. Now I use the OCI which tends to be around 10K.

The van I changed the FF at 5300 miles, OCI from there on out. The big van I change once a year (15-passenger) and it barely gets 1500 miles on it.

I use name brand synthetics (whatever is on sale) for all changes.

Engine building specs now a days are extremely tight. I wouldn't worry about wear metals etc. I went to the dealership for the first and second oil change for the terrain. First was the OLM and the second was 5k because I have 4 free oil changes in two years so I figured I would change the oil every 6 months instead of mileage. I wouldn't sweat it with your GM vehicles. I cannot speak about other manufacturers but I feel all car makers now a days are very similiar

I've only owned one new car in my life and I remember changing at 1000 and again at 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I've only owned one new car in my life and I remember changing at 1000 and again at 5000 miles.

What!!??? You cannot buy used vehicles because they have not been through the proper break-in oil change interval! Everyone here knows that.

On my Sentra, I changed it around 4500 miles. The owner's manual said that the break-in oil didn't need to be changed prematurely, so I left it alone.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Engine FF
1000 miles
5000 miles
Every 5k thereafter

I like your plan. Mine's close to yours, I make a change at 1000, 2500 and 5000. That gives 1000, 1500 and 2500 intervals before starting either the factory interval or an extended OCI with synthetic. The Jeep Wrangler 2.4L I-4 is still plugging away at 200k miles with no additional consumption or mechanical issues.

Our 2016 4Runner is at 4,300 miles right now on the FF. I decided that I wouldn't touch it until 5,000 miles. To be honest, it's KILLING me LOL! Toyota says it's good for 10,000 miles. I check the level weekly to make sure nothing has burnt off. Still totally full and to be honest, it looks like brand new oil on the dipstick and shop rag. I've got 7 quarts of M1 0W-20 AFE and an OEM cartridge filter waiting in the garage!

My 2016 Versa got the FF dumped at 1500 miles with a free dealer change. After they had the incredible hulk tighten my oil filter i chose to not return there. Just got my second change and went synthetic with PPPP at 3500 miles.

Sorry to bring back an old thread..

For 2016 cars.. Would it be better to run the factory fill til the car tells you to? Have a 2016 mitsubishi RVR(outlander sport) with 2.4L engine.. when i got the car i think i remember seeing 12k KM / 6months on the screen... Now i'm at around 7300k km it still has 4700k left / 1month left.. so i guess its configured whichever comes first.. the 6mos or 12k.. Should i just wait for the service minder to show up ? AFAIK, factory fill oil have special additives to help with the break in process so better to keep it in the engine longer than trying to change it early?

Not sure when the car was actually manufactured and how long the FF oil has been in the engine.. got the RVR like November of last year.. so im guessing it might be close to a year or maybe even more than a year already?

In my opinion, a FF drain and filter and oil replacement after 1000 miles is usually a good practice.

My theory is based on:

1) Due to tighter clearances in the beginning of an engine's life, the oil tends to shear more at this time than later in its life.

2) Machining particles and wear particles need to be removed in order to further reduce component wear.

Transmissions can go to about 10,000 miles before an oil and filter change because the transmissions are built and stored in a more protected environment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back