Max Life Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear lots of people talk about how some Syn oils are group V or group IV or are blends of Group III and IV and V.. Mostly I hear this about Castrol...

I have read Royal Purple is pure Group V

However Im wondering if anyone know what Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic is?
Or even Valvoline Syn Power is ?

Is it Group IV or Group V or from what I hear is the worst a blend of Groups III IV and V

Thanks for any info.

Groups 1,2 and 3 are mineral oils drilled out from the ground.
Groups 4 and 5 are synthetic, man made products that are made in a lab.

Originally Posted By: David1
I have read Royal Purple is pure Group V

I am not sure that this is right. AFAIK, this is a Group IV + Group I. Last is to provide better additives dissolving.

I lost track of what group does what...now I just buy whatever is on sale.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I believe that the Valvoline products are:

VSP=GRP III
VML=GRP II & III Blend
VMLsyn=GRP III

what about Valvoline Nextgen Full Syn?

what is that all about??? Is that really FULL SYN and what is it GRP III

** also you said Valvoline Max Life is a blend of Group II and Group III**
I dont get it,

Regular Valvoline conventional you said is GROUP III

What is Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Syn?

Originally Posted By: Olas

Darn then Valvoline Max Life FULL SYN is Group III
so its not even real syn oil?

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: Olas

Darn then Valvoline Max Life FULL SYN is Group III
so its not even real syn oil?

There is an odd legal precedent in the USA whereby a group III oil, drilled out from the ground, can be called 'fully synthetic' but this is purely a marketing term.

Groups I, II and III are natural mineral 'dino' oils formed naturally under heat and pressure under the earth.
Groups IV & V are unnatural, man made products that are formed in a lab.

Succinctly, no, max life full synthetic is not actually a synthetic oil. It is a mineral oil made from dead dinosaurs (albeit with some additives thrown in)

From Chevron's website

What do Group I, II, and III mean, and what's so great about Group II and Group III? These groups, along with Group IV and Group V are broad categories of base stocks developed by the American Petroleum Institute (API) for the purpose of creating guidelines for interchanging base stocks when blending licensed engine oils. Typically, solvent-refined base oils fall into Group I, while hydroprocessed base stocks fall into Group II. Unconventional Base Oils (UCBOs) are more severely hydroprocessed to make Very-High VI stocks and are normally categorized as Group III. Group IV are polyalphaolefins, PAO's, and form the basis of many traditional synthetic lubricants. Group V are oils that do not fall into any of the first four groups. This chart, from API publication 1509 provides a simple way of remembering the properties of each of the Groups:

Group Sulfur, Wt% Saturates V.I.
I >0.03 and/or II ≤0.03 and ≥90 80-119
III ≤0.03 and ≥90 ≥120
IV All Polyalphaolefins (PAOs)
V All Stock Not Included in Groups I-IV
(Pale Oils and Non-PAO Synthetics)

Group II+, though not an official API designation is a term used increasingly to describe Group II stocks of higher VI (112-119) and lower volatility than comparable group II stocks.
Group I oils contain high levels of sulfur and aromatics, which are compounds that can diminish performance. Group II & III oils have almost none of these impurities, which result in enhanced oxidation performance for fully-formulated lubricants. Thanks to Chevron's proprietary ISODEWAXING technology, Chevron's Group II and II+ base oils also have very low wax content, which delivers better low-temperature performance compared to many other base oils. Due to their high level of purity, Chevron Group II & II+ base oils provide additional benefits in crankcase applications. For example, in heavy-duty engines, motor oils made with Chevron base oils have demonstrated a soot dispersancy markedly higher than those made with Group I base oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back