Mobil Super 5000 5w-30

CCS, cP 6,080 @ -30ºC
Pour Point -36°C (-33°F)
cSt at 40°C 63.95

Mobil Super 5000 10w-30

CCS, cP 6,300 @ -25ºC
Pour Point -36°C (-33°F)
cSt at 40°C 68.8

Nothing an Arizona, or Florida winter is going to affect IMO.
Don't think were going to see lows remotely close to the -33F.

And this is conventional...

Originally Posted By: cp3
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Actually, CAFE dictates what is on the cap and in the book.

Wait...I thought we were talking about what oil to use not who dictates what's on the cap and in the book?

Umm... you brought up the cap and book, not me.

Originally Posted By: BrianC
Mobil Super 5000 5w-30

CCS, cP 6,080 @ -30ºC
Pour Point -36°C (-33°F)
cSt at 40°C 63.95

Mobil Super 5000 10w-30

CCS, cP 6,300 @ -25ºC
Pour Point -36°C (-33°F)
cSt at 40°C 68.8

Thank you. I have said many times here on BITOG that 5-30 and 10-30 are essentially the same oil, but people here still scoff. Maybe the actual posted numbers will convince them, and not be terrified beyond belief of 10-30 (in the south).

Originally Posted By: BrianC
Mobil Super 5000 5w-30

CCS, cP 6,080 @ -30ºC
Pour Point -36°C (-33°F)
cSt at 40°C 63.95

Mobil Super 5000 10w-30

CCS, cP 6,300 @ -25ºC
Pour Point -36°C (-33°F)
cSt at 40°C 68.8

Thank you. I have said many times here on BITOG that 5-30 and 10-30 are essentially the same oil, but people here still scoff. Maybe the actual posted numbers will convince them, and not be terrified beyond belief of 10-30 (in the south).

?

Those numbers clearly indicate that the 5w-30 is THINNER at -30C than the 10w-30 is at -25C. How that makes them essentially the same oil in your mind I find puzzling
21.gif

Being in AZ 10w30 would be fine. In fact ford originally specced 5w30 in my car but taxis were noticing premature engine wear so ford changed the recommendation to 10w30 or 40 and this solved the problem. (God knows how, less VIIs = less shearing?)
I use 10w30 in winter and 10w40 in summer because the lifters get noisy using the 30 when the weather heats up. We get similar lows, got down to 28F this winter and 10w30 was fine

Ur in AZ, u can use 5 or 10w30. Mix them to get 7.5w30 if u want. Ur vehicle will run the same and will not know the difference.

Wouldn't "common sense" dictate to just use what the book and cap say?

One day, the casual user might understand this, but I would not bet on it.

CAFE doesn't dictate what oil to use; it is a mileage standard meetable by a variety of techniques.

To the OP: This is a total non-issue there in AZ. I'm sure you have other things to worry about. However... if the head guy had convinced him he needed something like 20w50, then maybe you should be concerned.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Wouldn't "common sense" dictate to just use what the book and cap say?

One day, the casual user might understand this, but I would not bet on it.

CAFE doesn't dictate what oil to use; it is a mileage standard meetable by a variety of techniques.

True, but low oil viscosity is number one on CAFE's hitlist.

It is the only one that they allow manufacturers to apply now, and retrospectively, not during an update/redesign. It is in the view of CAFE, the cheapest NPV fuel economy measure.

And they require the manufacturers to avoid "backsliding" by taking measures to prevent people from undoing the certified status.

So you are correct, CAFE doesn't make the oil caps, it's the manufacturers, but CAFE makes that the easiest of the available options to get through.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Despite being out of vogue here 10w30 works well in just about anything. In AZ I'd never give it a second thought and you will never know the difference.

Now Canada....
12.gif

I live in Northern Canada... and know many an old guy who swears by 10w30 , year round. And their cars don't seem to know the difference. My dad's truck has been doing the cold start death rattle / whine... for 30 years...!

Is a 5w "better" in the winter. Probably. Does it really matter to most cars... ? Not so sure... But in the summer, in Arizona... it really doesn't matter in the slightest.

I run 10w30 all the time here in San Diego. It makes no difference at the temps I see. I can't remember the last time it froze here.

It always matters; just to what degree.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
But in the summer, in Arizona...it really doesn't matter in the slightest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
It always matters; just to what degree...

In Arizona, in the summer, at 100 + *F, really ... ?

We are talking about the extreme cold viscosity rating of an oil operating in Arizona... sorry, WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back