Ngk ixvs iridium laser

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and for the record...here's the advice about plugs that was on the thread you asked THERE YESTERDAY about plugs...

DATED 05/03/13...appearing on page one of that thread where your question posted on page 2....

"The Iridium IX like the Denso Iridium power are "power" plugs meaning they put out a slightly stronger spark at the expense of shorter life because they do not have a platinum ground strap (making it dual precious metal). They also have an ultra fine wire versus the fine wire of the others.
The Iridium IX are about 2-3 dollars per plug cheaper depending on the source.
I have used them before and noticed zero difference versus Denso Iridium Long Life.
For the price they are good. But if you plan to keep the plugs for 120K then go with Denso Iridium Long Life or NGK Laser Iridium."

This seems quite clear and to the point.

Last edited:
i did an exchange and got the laser iridiums

screw the ix's which was what i originally got due to a miscommunication, it's not for my application

Unless the engine has been modified the IX's won't make any difference in performance or mpg's.
Both types will make an adequate spark.
Add a turbo or supercharger and then the plug is challenged because of the higher cylinder pressure.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Unless the engine has been modified the IX's won't make any difference in performance or mpg's.
Add a turbo or supercharger and then the plug is challenged because of the higher cylinder pressure.

not really... as my German turbocharged family wagon, uses the Laser Platinums, where the platinum tip is actually larger. Works fine stock & extra boost modes.

the Iridium IX, the ground electrode is tapered, so that as the flame kernel propragates, the smaller surface area of the ground electrode doesn't smother the flame kernel, so that the combustion is more complete. So, in essence, it can produce more torque acting onto the piston, pushing it down.

Depending on the engine, some of the Laser Irdiums, instead of a platinum disc on the ground electrode, some applications have a rod of platinum hanging down from the ground electrode (DILFR6D11)

NGK6176-2.jpg

This as a similar effect to reduce ground electrode quenching.

'You're traveling to another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but also of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose bounderies are that of the imagination. At the sign post up ahead, your next stop, the twilight zone.'

I didn't even open the box. They had the lasers in the store. I went back and said, hey, I did some research and the ix isn't what I need, can I have the lasers, and he said yes, simple as that. I only bought spark plugs because they were on sale and don't plan to change them until a few months from now before winter.

I have a copy of a tech bulletin from Mazda stating that the Skyactiv-G engines are supposed to use the iridium plugs with platinum ground for "satisfactory" performance. The replacement interval is 75K miles. That seems a bit short for that type of plug, but overall, what's the cost of four plugs every 75K miles?

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I have a copy of a tech bulletin from Mazda stating that the Skyactiv-G engines are supposed to use the iridium plugs with platinum ground for "satisfactory" performance. The replacement interval is 75K miles. That seems a bit short for that type of plug, but overall, what's the cost of four plugs every 75K miles?

It may be because the compression in Skyactiv is much higher, or the tip is much smaller.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
Besides a mileage difference, which one saves gas? Does the ix have any benefits besides being cheaper? And a ten dollar rebate is a pretty good deal

In theory, if you use the plug to their designed duration (i.e. using a 100k plug for 100k, using a 60k plug for 60k), then you will get about the same beginning and ending misfire rate, which means the same fuel economy.

In practice, if you replace a 100k plug at 60k vs a 60k plug at 60k, you will get better fuel economy by using the 100k plug during the interval, because you are throwing away plugs before they are worn out and that means sharper edges, narrower gap, and therefore fewer misfire and higher mpg (but not sure if it is a measurable amount).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

not really... as my German turbocharged family wagon, uses the Laser Platinums, where the platinum tip is actually larger. Works fine stock & extra boost modes.

the Iridium IX, the ground electrode is tapered, so that as the flame kernel propragates, the smaller surface area of the ground electrode doesn't smother the flame kernel, so that the combustion is more complete. So, in essence, it can produce more torque acting onto the piston, pushing it down.

Depending on the engine, some of the Laser Irdiums, instead of a platinum disc on the ground electrode, some applications have a rod of platinum hanging down from the ground electrode (DILFR6D11)

NGK6176-2.jpg

This as a similar effect to reduce ground electrode quenching.

NGK says the same thing apparently.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/iridiumix.asp

So that is it! IX is the better performer at he cost of some plug life.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

I was writing about his application specifically, not your wagon.

NGK's on site doesn't make any mention of it being different between engines but I'll agree to the point I wouldn't expect any performance increase myself.

I never bought into those E3 spark plugs either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back