Denso or NGK 08 Tundra

Running a robot here at work, I brought my 2008 Toyota Tundra manual in today to read in between part changes. Ordered NGK laser iridium off Rock Auto on Monday and they just came in the mail yesterday. Reading the manual --- for the 4.0L and 4.7L engines it lists NGK and Denso plugs. For the 5.7L engine "which I have " it only lists Denso plugs. What to do?

As you already know, Denso is the originally installed plug in your engine. They're a tad bit less expensive than the NGK iridium long life plugs available on RockAuto at $6.61 each so I'd order a set of the Densos.

1708092710803.jpg

Denso 3421.JPG

I apologize in advance for the poor photo quality. That tiny RockAuto sliver looks horrible. The plug is the Denso 3421.

My 07 Toyota 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 came from the factory w/Denso in one bank, and NGK in the other.
12/10
MILEAGE- 54,000
Changed spark plugs w/Autolite #APP5325, $4ea;
11/13
MILEAGE – 108,840
Changed spark plugs w/NGK LFR6C-11(7787). $8ea;
MILEAGE-152,350
3/1/16
Changed spark plugs w/NGK7787
10/31/19
MILEAGE – 197,200
Changed spark plugs w/NGK 7787-$5ea
Currently has 230k miles, doesn't burn/leak any oil

I consider NKG and DENSO plugs interchangeable in Japanese vehicles. It seems that Honda and Nissan install them interchangeably with some people saying they've pulled the factory plugs and some were NGK and some were DENSO.

I have Denso in my 08, but Denso and NGK are interchangeable to me and the asian vehicles I work on as long as they are the equivalent plugs.

My 07 Toyota 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 came from the factory w/Denso in one bank, and NGK in the other.
12/10
MILEAGE- 54,000
Changed spark plugs w/Autolite #APP5325, $4ea;
11/13
MILEAGE – 108,840
Changed spark plugs w/NGK LFR6C-11(7787). $8ea;
MILEAGE-152,350
3/1/16
Changed spark plugs w/NGK7787
10/31/19
MILEAGE – 197,200
Changed spark plugs w/NGK 7787-$5ea
Currently has 230k miles, doesn't burn/leak any oil
Did you get the same good service from the Autolites as you did the others? Just curious because at the lower costs why didn't you just reuse them if the service was equal to the more expensive plugs?

the only issue is fake plugs. I got a pair if ngks from advance auto...
AAP isn't selling fake / counterfeit plugs. What makes you think they were ? Only possibility I see is someone buying fakes from Amazon or eBay, buying real ones from AAP, and swapping them to return to AAP.

From personal experience - both are equally as good while comparing with closer look it seems NGK has a more refined manufacturing process. My Kias came with Denso but I replaced them with NGK when time came.

my scion came from the factory with NGK Laser Iridiums installed.. Toyota dealer's parts are only Densos.. I've stayed with the NGK Laser Iridiums, excellent quality, I'd vote for NGK.

AAP isn't selling fake / counterfeit plugs. What makes you think they were ? Only possibility I see is someone buying fakes from Amazon or eBay, buying real ones from AAP, and swapping them to return to AAP.
This happens. I caught a customer doing exactly that - he bought $$ plugs from us, presumably bought $ fake ones online, and tried to return the $ fake ones for a $$ refund. Not at Advance but a competitor. I caught that they were fake and denied the return but I doubt most employees would have noticed. Who knows, maybe he just went to the next location 5 minutes away to try again or came back on a day I wasn't there LOL.

Back