RockAuto Spark plugs legit or counterfeited?

I'm almost at 100k miles on the 2013 EX Accord (sitting at 98k~ miles right now). Going to be doing Spark plugs and flushing the coolant. How reliable is Rockauto in terms of NGK plugs etc? I brought Bosch Rotors off them last month. 0 issues with that. But, I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between Duralast rotors and Bosch.

I think Autzone sells NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug 96964 for $26.49/piece. Rock is selling those same plugs for $13.20/piece.

Your are asking if a major national supplier is selling counterfeit?! I would just say efficient business model, way less overhead = lower pricing on commodity items.

Also look into Autolite and the newest Bosch double Ir. Both options look very good and have performed well for many as a
ND or NGK replacement. Bought some a couple years ago for a 2011 Subaru, but sold the car before I installed them. They are sitting on my living room table :) Still look good as a paper weight.

rock doesnt own a warehouse. they are just a supplier/distributor website.
however they are typically reliable.

Amazon is the wild west worse than ebay. (no joke)

Go on ebay find a seller with 200000 reviews and 99%+ its pretty likely to be a good transaction.
amazon just get any ole chinese imitation crap.. even possible on shipped/sold by amazon.

Sample transaction I have gotten real aquapel on ebay 8 out of 10times..
on amazon got fakes at least 70% of the time either empty or full of rain-x type fluid.

The easiest way to tell real aquapel.. break the applicator (similar to glow stick *snap*)
give it a couple *Careful* sniffs. if your nose melts off its real. if it smells like nothing or has a fragrance its fake.

Just bought another 12 aquapel on ebay for 50$ last month.. and they are real. well at least the 3 I've used so far.

There is nothing wrong with using Rock Auto. They are a drop shipper. When you receive your parts, google the return address to find where they came from. They usually use warehouses from Parts Authority, Auto Value, or Factory Motor Parts, though some parts are shipped direct from the manufacturer. Most, but not all, wholesaler closeout parts come from Ultra-Power in Sugar Land, TX.

I have used Rock Auto NGK plugs - there half the cost.

There was a legit documented case of fakes from RA on Toyota Nation maybe a decade ago? It can happen anywhere I guess.

I always google the return address on the shipment from RA. It usually shows up as a major parts warehouse. My last order came from Parts+Plus in Ohio. If the return address ever comes back as bill's surplus goods - I'll return the stuff.

Your are asking if a major national supplier is selling counterfeit?! I would just say efficient business model, way less overhead = lower pricing on commodity items.

Also look into Autolite and the newest Bosch double Ir. Both options look very good and have performed well for many as a
ND or NGK replacement. Bought some a couple years ago for a 2011 Subaru, but sold the car before I installed them. They are sitting on my living room table :) Still look good as a paper weight.
I don't understand that logic, either. A rear wiper for a GM SUV was $4, when amazon had it for about $12. So, I have a counterfeit wiper that seems to wipe pretty well on my wife's car. Hood struts for a Lexus, $8.xx, when amazon in the high 20's. Therefore, not legit. I guess I would probably have to wonder what's so great about Autozone, all the parts are authentic? How would a person even know if their entire vehicle were counterfeit, or not, these days?

Rock auto has its problems. Counterfeit parts aren't one of them
The only issue I have is with one specific warehouse. Obviously RockAuto doesn't operate their own warehouses, just contract out. If I get a package coming in from Lakeland NY United Auto Parts warehouse, I can guarantee that I'm going to get the wrong part.

It is a fun guessing game to play! I ordered rear brake rotors for the grand marquis. I was betting on a distributor for a Dodge B series with a 318/360 to show up! I was wrong and a Subaru unit bearing showed up!

Okay .. joking on the last part.

People keep knocking rock auto because parts come from different distribution centers.

I just ordered 3 cartons of Amazon commercial toilet paper, on Prime Day. 2/3 came from one place one week, then 1/3 came from another place the following week. Amazon would not do that if avoidable. They’re way larger than rock.

Autozone is a convenience store for people who can't plan ahead.

Also if you wonder why going to a shop is so expensive, they get stuff same day and mark it up even more.
This. Plus you're more likely to get returned fakes at a B&M store than from RA

I'd still watch out for ebay regardless of positive FB. I got fake Motorcraft plugs from a seller "rulealpha" who had 98%+ at the time

However on ebay one indicator can be to look at their other listings. If they're selling stuff for tons of vehicle makes plus home goods plus purses, it's likely all Chinese crap.

OTOH if you find a Honda dealer on eBay (it happens with Ford A LOT) and you can verify their identity, it's almost surely legit. I've purchased lots of OEM from Ford dealers on ebay

Ebay has little incentive to can the fake Chinese sellers -- as long as the listings are plentiful and they get their fees, they fein ignorance. I see they now have commercials claiming authenticity -- are they REALLY cracking down? I'm skeptical.....

One could lock one’s doors, and keep the blinds down, and stream all day to prevent from getting burned

I try to buy spark plugs at stores but I think RockAuto would be ok. It’s crazy we have people here who a few years ago were saying to avoid RockAuto too because of fakes but now they are saying go for them lol. Yes I’d definitely stay clear of eBay or Amazon but Rock Auto should be ok. When I had my work get me plugs last week I asked for NGK Iridium which were brought from Advance and are real so any store or online reputable store would be fine I’m betting.

Rock Auto is the only place I've bought spark plugs from for at least the past 15 years or so. I can't remember a time since the mid-2000's in which I haven't bought spark plugs from Rock Auto. In fact, I actively seek out my preferred spark plugs on clearance.

Last edited:
Back