RockAuto Spark plugs legit or counterfeited?

This. Plus you're more likely to get returned fakes at a B&M store than from RA

I'd still watch out for ebay regardless of positive FB. I got fake Motorcraft plugs from a seller "rulealpha" who had 98%+ at the time

However on ebay one indicator can be to look at their other listings. If they're selling stuff for tons of vehicle makes plus home goods plus purses, it's likely all Chinese crap.

OTOH if you find a Honda dealer on eBay (it happens with Ford A LOT) and you can verify their identity, it's almost surely legit. I've purchased lots of OEM from Ford dealers on ebay

Ebay has little incentive to can the fake Chinese sellers -- as long as the listings are plentiful and they get their fees, they fein ignorance. I see they now have commercials claiming authenticity -- are they REALLY cracking down? I'm skeptical.....
Agreed. I received fake Honda OEM parts from Ebay. First and last time I will ever buy from ebay for car parts.

Inhave also seen a few bad parts right out of the box from AZ. But that isn't as much am AZ issue as a manufacturing one

I put Denso's on my Accord from Rock Auto.
Only difference I noted was on my Visa statement at the end of the month.
Much cheaper than AZ or AAP.

I got some fake Centric High Carbon Alloy rotors last year. They were supposed to be disk ground and fully machined rotor hats. The ones I received were lathe turned and the hats were raw cast. I sent them back, ordered the exact same thing from the tire rack and got the real deal.
But the Rock is still my go-to for a lot of stuff. I sometimes find OE parts on there….a lot of OE Mopar stuff.

Rockauto has been miss or hit from time to time.

They are generally very reliable, and I've had more positive experiences than bad however I've gotten my fair share of returns from them. This seems to be a more frequent issue on closeout/clearance however.

I've had used/damaged parts clearly labeled RETURN in sharpy on them sold to me as new a few times. These parts appear to be returns from a lifetime warranty with noticeable wear.

should I be worried my Amazon sourced Mobil 1 0w-40 is counterfeit ?

Z
Probably not, but Amazon is a hive of scum and villany for aftermarket and sometimes OEM parts. Google search and grab a warm blanket.

FWIW. Again, it depends on where they're buying them and if someone is playing fast and loose with returns.

NGK_Rock Auto.jpg

FWIW. Again, it depends on where they're buying them and if someone is playing fast and loose with returns.

View attachment 168130
and the obvious part.. NGK has renamed itself Niterra.. Interesting.. At first I thought they were bought out (not this again.. ) but no they just renamed themselves (looked it up).. alrighty then..

and the obvious part.. NGK has renamed itself Niterra.. Interesting.. At first I thought they were bought out (not this again.. ) but no they just renamed themselves (looked it up).. alrighty then..
Another colossal re-branding MISTAKE, but not as bad as Christmas Tree Shops re-branding as CTS then soonafter going bankrupt? o_O ... :).

I've read here a few times Mobil 1 is now mobile 1.
Not sure ... .

Google "how to tell if NGK spark plugs are fake".

It's pretty clear this forum does not like rockauto. So each thread that questions them is going to draw a lot of negative responses on how this person and that person got a fake, and parts failed, and they couldn't return something, etc. So the logical solution is to buy parts locally for double or more, and at least "feel good."

What really makes me curious, is, those who are in the repair business, of course, they do not order from amazon or rock auto. They don't have to, to get those prices, as a retail consumer does.

We all know that indies get parts from WORLDPAC. What I'd like to know is does WORLDPAC use the same distributors as rock and amazon. It would be totally hilarious, if responses started flowing how WORLDPAC is fake, and really a repair shop should be going to AZ.

^The only point I want to dispute is, "...this forum does not like rockauto."
Some of the members of this forum are hands-on types who have used RA for parts with >%50 success.
Reports of the negative episodes help. I think they help a lot.
To be brief, I'd characterize the RA experience as "Going along with the growing pains of modern retail".

Let's be frank here 1) It HAS to be the case that disgruntled monkeys working in windowless warehouses ship out parts which have been returned likely because they're told to. Retailers know a percentage of bad part deliveries won't be returned.

RA sent me a frozen solid belt tensioner (with related parts) in an odd tray with no covering. It was no way a kit. It was a cute move done by a small person. RA made good on it promptly.

Ordering ahead of time and post delivery inspection is part of the price you pay.

And except for one of their suppliers sending out dented oil filters WITH A NOTE SAYING THEY WERE NOT RETURNABLE, and 2 element oil filters which came with incorrect O-rings, RA has been just fine.

My stack of refrigerator magnets is 4" high and given the active RA magnet Facebook Group, I have a new social outlet.
Thanks RA.

edit: When RA lists, say, 20 or 40 choices for a part and the one you selected is out of stock, how often is some other part shipped out?

My stack of refrigerator magnets is 4" high and given the active RA magnet Facebook Group, I have a new social outlet.
Thanks RA.

edit: When RA lists, say, 20 or 40 choices for a part and the one you selected is out of stock, how often is some other part shipped out?
You poor lonely person, don't ever admit that again :D

All my magnets go in the trash. Should I be saving them and ship them to you? I wonder if they qualify as media mail.......

I have purchased many parts from Rock Auto over the years, including spark plugs. Nothing has ever looked counterfeit to me and I've never had performance or durability issues as long as I stick to well known, well respected brand names. Now if you go for the goofy name stuff, YMMV!

Back