Electric bike from Harley Davidson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I commute on my bike daily... And at least 80-90% of the bikes I see are harleys. Harley is trying. And so are most of the others.

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
It would be nice for a change If there could be some talk about the engineering and emerging tech and stuff without "blahblah oil leaks, blahblah piece of junk, blahblah antique tech, blahblah loud pipes.....just saying.

blah blah blah prototype

blah blah blah IF they build it

blah blah blah no details

Given that Harley Davidson is the master of marketing more than engineering, I think this bike was just to give it a lot of positive PR to the hipster and environmental crowd. I saw many news stories on the bike...and Harley did not have to pay a dime for any of it. Even if they build a limited number and park them around at big selling dealers it will no doubt be as a marketing tool more than anything at this point.

Might sell a few to some high rolling hipsters if they make them available to the public. But the design just is not quite mature enough IMHO to make it a profitable product. Other electric bikes are advertising more power and longer run times before needing a recharge. No idea what the HD would be priced at, but I am guessing it would not be affordable for many.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
It would be nice for a change If there could be some talk about the engineering and emerging tech and stuff without "blahblah oil leaks, blahblah piece of junk, blahblah antique tech, blahblah loud pipes.....just saying.

blah blah blah prototype

blah blah blah IF they build it

blah blah blah no details

http://www.streetchopperweb.com/bikes/ha...=soc&dom=fb

Originally Posted By: sunruh
where does the oil drip from?

This one leaks electrons...

Originally Posted By: xl2006
Harley is looking forward. The internal combustion engine isn't going to be around forever. [censored] 74 horses and 54 ft pounds of torque. Not bad.

That's more than their 110 Screamin Chicken! Lol!

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2014/06/26/the-livewire-project-harley-davidson-reinventing-itself/

Cyril Huze has a lot of salient points including:

Quote:
Well before unveiling the LiveWire pictures, they already knew that the core Harley riders, especially the baby-boomers, are not (yet) too much concerned about environmental awareness, but are much more attached to performance and autonomy. Harley doesn’t ask you to approve the current 53 miles range per charge. They know you don’t. They just want your reactions to evaluate your expectations and will meet them, whatever it takes in terms of time and investment. Same about acceleration, (currently 0 to 60 mph in 4 seconds.)

Originally Posted By: grampi
Harley is looking forward. The internal combustion engine isn't going to be around forever. [censored] 74 horses and 54 ft pounds of torque. Not bad.

You have made your point. We all know you hate Harleys. Now go hump someone elses leg.

Originally Posted By: grampi

You have made your point. We all know you hate Harleys. Now go hump someone elses leg.

Sorry, I don't return favors...

from another forum

Reposting from the NYC Commuters thread. Harley had the Project Livewire bike in NYC, 2 blocks from my office. So I hopped on for a demo ride. This is my short review.
---

My ride yesterday:

Well, I finally got to test ride one of the Harley Livewire prototypes and I must say it was fun. It was very short lived- only about 2 miles around a few blocks in the Tribeca - so basically busy streets- cars, buses, trucks, pedestrians, potholes, broken streets...you guys know.

The good:
The bike feels light- lighter than any Harley for sure- and narrow. Turned quick enough.
The sound (like a turbine) from the cockpit is pretty engaging and exciting esp as one increases speed. Not the golf cart that electrics tend to be.
The seat is low but seems to accommodate riders of various sizes- at nearly 6 feet, I did not feel cramped at all.
Amazing engine braking- some people don't like it but I love it. It nearly comes to a standstill the moment you roll off the throttle.
The bike picks up speed nearly as fast as my FZ09- remember this bike is spec'd to some 74 odd hp but the power is more immediate than, let's say, 650s and middle-weight sport bikes.
Bonus: Beautiful piece of machinery- didn't need to be a loud Harley or have tons of chrome to grab attention.

The bad:
The sound, as great as it is from the seat, is nearly non-existent to bystanders. So, no, you won't be heard coming.
The mirrors, a important part of their low slung design, are horrible and useless- no matter how much I crouched, i could not see behind me- just my knees.
The seat itself is comfy but the position is a bit aggressive for longer rides- nearly the ergos of a Ducati Monster- you have to lean forward and stretch your arms.

Final words:
Overall, it's a great laudable effort by a mainstream bike company to come out with a electric. The range isn't great (i think some 57 odd on full charge) but they only specd it for the tour, the mirrors are stupid and the bike is quiet to other drivers but I believe this bike has potential. It is extremely well-built when compared to what Zero and Brammo are doing. The power delivery was immediate but not unnerving-coming from the 100+ horses of the FZ, it seemed a bit sedate- but the braking was definitely something to note. In the city, it did not feel unweildy like a Harley and after a few minutes, the power delivery (and the sound) becomes addictive.
I did miss the clutch- and my left hand was left wondering what to do- as was my left foot! It was like a big powerful scooter/go kart but definitely the only Harley I would even think of owning (when electrics become better).

They are touring the country with some 20 odd bikes. They will be going to Boston and Philly and many other places- cities that they are going to announce soon. If you are in any of the other cities when they are there, do check it out. It will be an fun and interesting 30 minutes- and maybe you have better streets than NYC.

Last edited:
Nice write up..thanks. At 70 miles per charge it would be a cool commuter and could work for a lot of urban folks. Sounds like a nice initial venture into electric bikes from the mfg who has more experience in marketing than any other. 'I just had to throw that last nugget in...well...because'.

All we ever hear about is how Harley Davidson has the best marketing. It must be true considering their marketing department built an electric bike. Something the engineering departments at Honda, and Yamaha haven't done.

Ugliest bike yet to come from HD as far as the HD haters.......
Haters = Envy. I dont put down what others ride. Iride my HD cross country several time a summer...dont like obnoxious pipes drink, wear patches, bandanas or leather 43 years on a HD its about touring for me....so haters grow up. Harley, Metrics its all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back