Turbo question - AudiA4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
Car 2009 Audi A4 2.0T

After 30mins of driving the car will let out a little bit of smoke on acceleration. It will not do this when the engine is cold -

Any ideas on where the smoke/ burning oil is coming from.

I do not have any coolant loss, btw.

Thanks

Its either coming past your rings (possible), past your valve stem seals (unlikely as it doesn't happen when cold) or through your pcv (vta or replace valve)

Hey Nicholas, hard to say for sure. I agree with Olas: could be rings (they obviously expand/contract with heat) or the valve steam seals (also expand/contract). The PCV valve may have failed, but typically when they go, the car will just start consuming the oil and not necessarily blowing tons of smoke.

I assume you are using a VW 502/505 approved oil?

If I were you, I'd take it down to the government emissions testing facility and check the unburned HC numbers, along with CO and NOx while you're at it. Compare it to another similar vehicle you have had or a friends to see if the numbers are in the right area. Then you'll know more.

Is it white or blueish? White is water vapor while blue is oil.

With a computer-controlled turbo, it's common to have the engine limit the amount of boost the turbo puts out until the car is warmed up. A higher boost level will put out more water vapor.

Is it black smoke? Many VW/Audi GDI engines often create much more particulate matter than VW/Audi multi port injection engines. When the turbo is spooled up, the computer may be programmed to create an extra rich AFR. That would make the particulate emissions worse.

Hi Guys - thanks

smoke is blueish, dark.

I would love to get the old fashioned emmissions test done - but now they have all changed to OBD2 port readers - no particulate readings.

A side note - audi has come out with a revised PCV for this particular engine - I will be getting one later this week. According to Audi- the old one builds up too much pressure and pukes oil into the turbo and the engine.

I will chime back in- one I get it and install it into the 2.0T.

Online - these engines are nightmares - I am hoping to figure out the oil problem without too much pocket book shock.

thanks

Nevermind an updated PCV, vent all breathers to atmosphere. The only things going.g into an ICE should be air and fuel..oil mist and water vapour are NOT your friends.

I am hoping that the PCV does the trick - once I get this all sorted out - I will take off the intake mani - and give those valves a good cleaning.

Venting to the atmosphere is not something I am considering - other audi forum members have told me that venting to outside produces a very strong odour - not worth it to me.

I plan to manually clean the valves every 10-15,000kms.

Thanks for the input guys>:) Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back