Can coolant leak into combustion chamber hurt catalyst?

Hi All,
I noticed the pink coolant in Santa fe was below min and so filled it up to max with 50/50 water and pink Hyundai coolant ( phosphate based glycol). I also notice a white smoke at the tail pipe, not sure yet since it's cold and it could be just vapor. No sign of any coolant leak. So, I ordered a test kit and will wait for the coolant to go low again before taking it to the dealer.
My question is that can burning 10oz of coolant (min to max capacity) in a few weeks hurt catalyst converter?

Hi All,
I noticed the pink coolant in Santa fe was below min and so filled it up to max with 50/50 water and pink Hyundai coolant ( phosphate based glycol). I also notice a white smoke at the tail pipe, not sure yet since it's cold and it could be just vapor. No sign of any coolant leak. So, I ordered a test kit and will wait for the coolant to go low again before taking it to the dealer.
My question is that can burning 10oz of coolant (min to max capacity) in a few weeks hurt catalyst converter?
Pretty sure coolant has the same cat killing additives as oil like phosphate so i'm sure it can.

Thanks folks. So I got a test kit and tested it, nothin showed up in like 10mins with radiator fan on for a few minutes.
For now just replaced the reservoir cap with OEM, maybe it's orings are not sealing well.

head gasket leak.jpg

but did the thermostat open, as evidenced by the radiator hose getting firm and hot?
Didnt check that, I considered radiator fan running as a sign that thermostat is open. Maybe I need to redo with a scan tool to measure coolant temp

Back