TOO MANY CHOICES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Just recently I made a post to get some opinions on what tires to purchase for my 13 kia forte ex 4dr. I had some good feedback and appreciate it, here is what I have my choices down too.. and am still completely lost! They are all relatively in the same price range, with similar tread warranties.

Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring NT
General Altimax RT43
Hankook H727
Cooper CS4

So far these seem like the best tires within my price range 70-80$ a tire, they are all well known brands. But most of them seem to have overly optimistic tread life ratings which some reviews have reported. I have also read the Hankooks get rather noisy as they age. SO FAR I am feeling the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring NT will be my best bet, good reviews of traction, and tread life, along with overall ride quality. I also believe they may be owned by Michelin, which is never a bad thing.

What do you think Bitog?

Cooper......made in Ohio. Well for the most part anyway. Maybe even check out the CS3 or the new CS5.

Second choice would be the RT43.

I've had decent everything but tread life from Uniroyals in the past, although at under $80/tire that may not be a concern for you.

I like the new Generals, although they're too new to have solid tread life reports on them.

I'll vote for the Generals.

I've had several sets of tires from General including the Altimax and I'm always impressed with what I get for the price.

I would also make a reasonable effort to support US workers.

Based on reviews I've seen, I'd go with the RT43s or the CS4s.

My father has the CS4s and has no complaints but they are still fairly new (installed 11/13).

I'm shopping for a couple of sets this year and my list is RT43, CS4, Pirelli P4, P7s (size permitting) based on what I've seen (personally have the P4s now and am pleased but they are a bit pricier).

My only knock on the Hankooks is they seem to put an unreasonable mileage limit on the tire. Seems to be more of an 80k tire max. But maybe they use the 100k limit as a marketing ploy. So what else are they being misleading about is my question.

^^^ Consider the CS3 instead.

The last set of Uniroyals that I had felt like they were filled with pudding, were very floaty. Plus, the treadlife wasn't there.

I'd go with the Cooper CS5 or the General Altimax RT43. The CS5 is replacing the highly rated CS4 and early reviews seem to point out it is an improvement over the much lauded CS4. Although if the CS4 is being cleared out somewhere, that might be the best deal overall.

The Hankook H727s were a darling a few years back but have recently been outclassed by the CS4/5 and the RT43 IMO.

I don't know much about the Uniroyal tire to give an opinion.

Hmm, now my interest is highly peaked in the CS5, I can also get a decent price on it, PLUS my favorite/closet tire shop carries it, and is willing to "work on the price" compared to online competitors, we may have a winner.. now.. do I go with the ULTRA or GRAND touring? LOL I am really liking the tread pattern on the ULTRA, but the GRAND is rated to last 20k miles longer.

What is wheel size ?see my versa came with 185 (width) the issue rim are only 5 inch (185 require 5.5 inch rim width)the issue ?the tire were within range!meaning :they arent required to put exactly what is supposed to go on the rim .so make sure you know the wdth ofyour rim first(usually written on it.like me?i went from 185 to 175 .now tire wear square like it shouldi could have went to 5.5 inch rim but the 4 banger and the whole car would have overworked.

Any of these low-end name brands should do pretty well.
I've had good personal experience with the General Alitimax line, although I haven't used the RT43.
The Hankook is highly regarded here, while I've also found Coopers to be good in my personal experience.
Not too sure about the Uniroyals.
Either the General or the Hankook would be my first pick, followed by the Cooper with the Uniroyal bringing up the rear, although not all that far back.
JMHO

Ditto on the Conti PureContact. Really good tire. Here's yours:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...dClar=2.0L%20EX

You just missed the $80 rebate campaign, but still close to your price point.

Can't speak to the newest General. But we had good luck and good value with the Altimax HP (which is their GT tire) in the past. General is Continental's value brand, so shares some technology.

Cooper has made a high value economy tire in the past, but I don't how the new owners are running things.

I've had in the past used General AltiMax HP's on the Focus. (They have CS4's now.) My daughter has the RT's and most recently the Previa SC van has the RT43's. I really really like the RT43's! Ride is so smooth and comfortable. Very little road noise. Exc. wet/dry handling tire. My vote goes to the RT43's. They may have a super deal on them for Memorial Day Weekend on one of the online tire discounters. I'd get them.

I never hear much about Uniroyal, and I'm somewhat of a tire nerd. Anyone have any links with any testing on this tire? I'm not sure Michelin puts much marketing into them. I have not had personal experience with them, but I would skip the Uniroyals unless they're coming from a shop you like.

The Hankooks are a good tire, but they are dated and likely outclassed by newer designs. I had them on the Sonata I just sold. They wore unevenly because of a bad alignment. I got that fixed and kept up on the rotations and they smoothed out some, but they were still somewhat noisy. They had really great winter traction for an all season, though. You may have seen this, but here's my long-term review of them:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2466473/1

I would also skip the CS4, since it has apparently now been discontinued and replaced with two versions of the CS5. Many Cooper tires are made in the USA, but I don't know if the new CS5 is one of them.

The Generals are getting pretty good reviews, but are pretty new still. Only some of the sizes are made in the USA according to Tire Rack (which shouldn't be taken as gospel), if that matters to you.

So for me, I'd probably go with either the Cooper or the General.

-Side note
What's the speed rating of the OE tires? I'm definitely not someone who gets in a tizzy over speed ratings. I think a lot of them are B-S and many owners manuals don't specifically say you have to use replacement tires that meet the OE speed rating. I put T-rated Hankooks on the Sonata because they're a well-made tire with a cap ply, which is something found on higher rated tires. The OE tires were V-rated, which was ridiculous for that car.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I never hear much about Uniroyal, and I'm somewhat of a tire nerd. Anyone have any links with any testing on this tire? I'm not sure Michelin puts much marketing into them. I have not had personal experience with them, but I would skip the Uniroyals unless they're coming from a shop you like.

The Hankooks are a good tire, but they are dated and likely outclassed by newer designs. I had them on the Sonata I just sold. They wore unevenly because of a bad alignment. I got that fixed and kept up on the rotations and they smoothed out some, but they were still somewhat noisy. They had really great winter traction for an all season, though. You may have seen this, but here's my long-term review of them:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2466473/1

I would also skip the CS4, since it has apparently now been discontinued and replaced with two versions of the CS5. Many Cooper tires are made in the USA, but I don't know if the new CS5 is one of them.

The Generals are getting pretty good reviews, but are pretty new still. Only some of the sizes are made in the USA according to Tire Rack (which shouldn't be taken as gospel), if that matters to you.

So for me, I'd probably go with either the Cooper or the General.

-Side note
What's the speed rating of the OE tires? I'm definitely not someone who gets in a tizzy over speed ratings. I think a lot of them are B-S and many owners manuals don't specifically say you have to use replacement tires that meet the OE speed rating. I put T-rated Hankooks on the Sonata because they're a well-made tire with a cap ply, which is something found on higher rated tires. The OE tires were V-rated, which was ridiculous for that car.

Fairly certain the speed rating is only a S, which is pretty easy to find tires with at least that rating or higher, I don't think I have actually seen a tire in the size range lower than an S

EDIT: correction, they are in fact a "T" speed rating, just went and checked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back