M1 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change the oil on a 2007 Toyota Tundra 4.7L with 115k miles. I don't have the stuff to do the TGMO/M1 0W20/40 blend right now (but I am looking forward to trying it). Is M1 5w30 good for 10k OCI?

Also, kind of off topic and not trying to start problems. But it currently has PP in it and I've seen some posts suggesting that engines that run M1 might be wearing more than had they ran something else. Is there any truth to this or is a bunch of bull? I just don't know much about the new PPPP out there and I have M1 5W30 already.

I have run both my F-150 and the wife's Freestar past 10k on standard M1 5w-20 many times, so I think you'd be OK. I switched to M1 HM after the Freestar hit 200k, and I run that past 10k as well.

Will there be more wear than with PP? Maybe. Will it be a significant amount? No. Run any name brand full synthetic and you should be fine if you are a highway cruiser. Short tripping is a different story.

Any oil meeting the specs for a given application is going to provide comparable performance. So two premium synthetics of the same grade that carry the same basic approvals are going to perform.... close to the same
smile.gif

M1 5w-30 is an excellent oil, as is PP 5w-30. Those saying it causes "more wear" are likely basing it off what they've seen in a UOA, which aren't meant to compare wear between oils in the first place. It is like me telling you my Estwing hammer is a better screwdriver than your Stanley hammer
wink.gif

Whats recommended in your Tacoma? Has it been back specc'd to 0w20? 5w30 M1 will work just fine as will PP. You could even just run a 0w20 or 0w30 M1 AFE, being 2 other options..but its all splitting hairs.

Originally Posted By: tgw323
It's amazing how Mobil1 seems to inspire legions of followers to come to its' defense against claims of high iron wear. Here's a case history for you. I bought a 1995 Impala SS with the LT1 new. Changed to Mobil1 the first oil change,probably less than 3,000 miles. 5W-30 or 10W-30 5,000-7,000 OCI. At about 105,000 miles, I changed the Optispark & decided to go on in and replace the timing chain & sprocket. When I got it apart,it was worn at least as bad as if I'd used conventional. This was an actual visual inspection, not some theorizing or general gum beating. Also, reading other message boards, this seemed to be a common experience with this engine using Mobil1. Now, I'm not saying it's no good, but the evidence is there, except for those unwilling to see the emperor has no clothes. The proof is in the pudding and Mobil1 pudding has a lot of iron in it.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
It bugs me no end to see all of the Mobil 1 UOAs that seem to have high iron. I am no Mobil 1 hater-I have a 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 HM right now that I am going to use in my Saturn Ion. But if Mobil 1 keeps displaying high iron results (even in the extended use formula) I will use something else. I will use Pennzoil Ultra or Valvoline Synpower.

The complex explanations as to why Mobil 1 displays high iron in UOAs get very tiring after a while. A high iron reading in a UOA troubles me. I am no chemist or oil analysist guy. All I know is that I can use another oil that does not seem to display high iron in UOA samples.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
I keep reading here that Mobil 1 has bad iron wear numbers. Does that include Mobil 1 AFE (advanced fuel economy) 0w30? I like the idea of saving 20$ per OCI, but not if I'm going to need an engine overhaul. It seems like something fishy is here - I thought that Mobil 1 synthetic has an extremely high reputation, and is one of the most premium oils you can get. Should I return my Mobil 0w30 to the store? I tried using "search" on BITOG and can find nothing, and google search shows nothing.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I personally used to be a strict M1 user. After reading countless UOAs with 3x the iron wear as most other oil, I switched to PP. There is no way im going to buy one of the most expensive oils and see results like that. Most all other synthetics get great UOA results. I feel like if that high iron was actually a benefit to us some how, meaning maybe particles are suspended better or something, than mobil owes us an explanation. I am an engineer and make decisions based on data all the time. I dont understand why more people arent upset up this high iron issue. It seems to me that people are in love with there oil and if you question it, it is like questioning there religion. This is simple to me. If they have more iron in the UOA, then there is a chance it wearing the valve train ect a little more than the others. Why take the chance when there nothing, i repeat nothing showing M1 better than the rest. There is tons of data that shows it is awesome, but better? M1 i feel is a perfect example of good product that has been marketed well. unfortunately for us consumers the only data we have for comparison is UOA and VOAs. Let me as this. If Super Tech came back with iron levels that were higher than the rest, would we make excuses for them or use something else?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
For me it boils down to this, I lost faith in XOM, there are better products. I was a loyal customer, it's over, and since they don't sign my paycheck I won't defend them. They still haven't cleared the Ashland claims, nor tried to defend themselves against anyone else who jumped on that flunked test bandwagon,. Instead they offered a $10 rebate to their loyal customers. I think they cut the quality of the product a few years back, and now got called out on it. Sorry if I'm offending any loyal Mobil 1 customers, but this is how I feel.

I think Patman summed it up pretty well. I'll spend my money elsewhere until they prove themselves to me again.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I recently got my analysis back from Blackstone and they told me they found almost 3x the normal amount of iron in my oil. Is this cause for concern? Also, my viscosity decreased as well. I only had 6300 miles on this oil and my driving style was not that aggressive. It was in the truck all winter though, in Nebraska where it can get pretty cold. Should I worry about the performance of this oil and longer intervals?

Untitled1.jpg

Originally Posted By: JAG
Welcome! This thread will likely get moved to the UOA forum.

M1 5W-30 has been showing UOAs similar to this in the recent past. It's the worst Mobil 1 oil right now IMO. Just choose another oil. If you want/need a 5W-30 viscosity grade, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is a great choice.

... And after digging up a pile of useless old posts this is about the point that Merkava will tell you to run PYB 10w-30. And that's whether your car is a Prius calling for 0w-20 or a Veyron calling for 10w-60
smirk.gif

My wife's Cobalt has nearly 118,000 miles on Mobil 1. My friend's Chevy HHR has nearly 120,000 miles on Mobil 1. Both look spotless inside with near zero visible wear. My old Malibu had 85,000 on at trade with most of that coming from QSUD. Any synthetic that meets both dexos1 and the HTO-06 spec is likely a good oil.

Any 20 weight multigrade that meets dexos1 is likely a good oil as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back