General AltiMax RT43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: FastGame
Had the RT43's installed today on my 2005 Caravan. Put 100 mi. on them and they ride nice.

I hope that the RT43's don't turn into the Kumho Solus KR-21's in terms of...

...great out of the box but wearout by 35-40 K miles and become difficult to live with(not for all owners). Cheap to buy new which make'em a great value to start with but difficult to live with.

Honestly, this is what issue I have had with every set of Michelin tires I have purchased. They are great at first, but end up with bad traction and dry rotting all over.

I have the RT43's on the Forester now. They were great through the winter here in the Arctic that is Ohio this winter. They have been an excellent value for me. They are half the cost of the new Michelin Premier A/S tires and if I am happy with them for 75% of the time I would be happy with Michelin tires, they are still a great value. I always follow the rule that if I can get 75% of the mileage warranty, I am happy. I replace my tires at 5/32 most of the time. I don't buy winter tires.

Honestly, I love the RT43's. I wish I had them over the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires on the Civic I just bought last year. The RT43's would have been a better value on the Civic.

Also, it should be noted, I have the H rated USA made AltiMAX RT43's.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Looking to put these on an 07 Civic. Discount Tire - at least around here - doesn't sell them. With persuasion, they can probably get them, but then there goes a good deal. Any ideas?

Discount Tire ordered the AltiMAX RT43 and price matched for me. That is their policy.

Originally Posted By: FastGame

Thanks for putting that in my head, and to think I was happy go lucky.....geezzz

I have found this can happen with any product. I can always find a reason not to buy something over something else. I just try to be happy with whatever I purchase, but, still always find a reason to think some other tire will be better.

Honestly, I have never been as impressed with a tire as the RT43.

I have also never purchased a second tier tire before this either. I have had a few OEM tires....hated them all. I have had the newer Michelin Primacy MXM4 and the General tire is a better tire for an A/S tire for me. That tire was horrible in any cold weather. It was good in hot, dry weather though. We will find out how the RT43 is in hot dry weather soon. It has done well in the 70-80 degree range so far.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: user52165
Looking to put these on an 07 Civic. Discount Tire - at least around here - doesn't sell them. With persuasion, they can probably get them, but then there goes a good deal. Any ideas?

Discount Tire ordered the AltiMAX RT43 and price matched for me. That is their policy.

Thank you. Guess I better look at other DT dealers. If that is their policy, it sure takes some arm twisting to get it. They really want to push what they have and think the buyers haven't done any homework.

Last edited:
Call them or come in to talk to them in person, first ask them if they have it if they don't can they order it, then ask if they price match, then show then the lowest price you can find online.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Call them or come in to talk to them in person, first ask them if they have it if they don't can they order it, then ask if they price match, then show then the lowest price you can find online.

Pretty much exactly what I did.....

Well, I ran over a box cutter blade. The left rear tire blew out. The RT43 needs replaced. That is the bad news.

Good news....

The RT43 held together and didn't separate. The sidewall stayed intact doing no damage to the wheel. After going to DT, it has a road hazard warranty from General. They are giving me a new tire at no charge and I didn't have to pay for any additional road hazard warranty. It is a pro rated warranty, but the tires are still at over 10/32 at 6k miles.....that is a great thing too! Tread wear is doing excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back