Help me real quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a NOACK of 10.3 that 5W-30 would evaporate faster than lacquer thinner.
grin2.gif

We know that GTL bases come in 3 grades: 3, 4 and 8. Synthetic grade numbers are typically based of the kv100 meaning these grades will be close to 3 cSt, 4 cSt and 8 cSt.

Using a blend of these 3 grades will be what delivers the final viscosity, the 10W30 will have the most of the 8 cSt grade (probably around 60%), none of the 3 cSt and probably half the amount of viscosity modifiers vs 5W30. Because NOACK is influenced by the viscosity of the base oil (thinner oils evaporate more easily) it easily explains why 10W30 would be much lower.

There are other ways to achieve low NOACK for the finished product, but 10.3 is still solid performance considering the current max for SN is 15 and the proposed GF-6 Spec is 13.

Of course my formula numbers are just estimates based on other synthetic engine oil blends.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Either typo or 10W30 has very little or no VII.

The 10W-30 can start with a 50% thicker basestock (e.g. ISO 32 versus 22), and have 40% less VII to get the target KV100...so naturally lower volatility, lower temporary (and permanent) shear loss, and greater HTHS all things being equal.

edit...what solarent said while I was checking my toast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Pennzoil Platinum with Pureplus

why is noack 4.7 for 10w30 and 10.3 for 5w30. Thats a big difference

That's a well-known fact for all oils and not a typo. CCS apparent viscosity (extreme-cold-start performance) and NOACK volatility are inversely proportional to each other for a give base-stock type. Do not use 10W-xx in winters if the temperatures drop down to deep freezing.

pcmo_noack_vs_ccs_800.jpg

As I said, it's always a tradeoff between CCS and NOACK. If the old formulation had a better NOACK, it had a worse CCS, as PAO and GTL have very similar curves in the graph above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back