Michelin LTX MS/2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Do I think the LTX M/S2's are better than snow tires? No. But I think they are excellent on slippery surfaces and combined with a heavy vehicle and 4x4, it makes the vehicle more capable than many vehicles with snows that lack 4x4. Especially on a grade.

+ a lot. I have a 2011 F-150 XLT Scab 4x4 5.0 with LTX M/S2s. We have been having an old fashioned winter (read: it alternates between snowing and blowing and back. We are closing in on 100 inches of snow and more coming). Several times in the last week it has been drifting so bad that I'm dragging bottom but the Ford plows through like its a 3 ton SkiDoo. The truck moves laterally a little but it keeps going.

These tires are worth the premium price. Getting stuck when the wind chill is -20 is not a good event.

Originally Posted By: AITG
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Do I think the LTX M/S2's are better than snow tires? No. But I think they are excellent on slippery surfaces and combined with a heavy vehicle and 4x4, it makes the vehicle more capable than many vehicles with snows that lack 4x4. Especially on a grade.
+ a lot. I have a 2011 F-150 XLT Scab 4x4 5.0 with LTX M/S2s. We have been having an old fashioned winter (read: it alternates between snowing and blowing and back. We are closing in on 100 inches of snow and more coming). Several times in the last week it has been drifting so bad that I'm dragging bottom but the Ford plows through like its a 3 ton SkiDoo. The truck moves laterally a little but it keeps going.

These tires are worth the premium price. Getting stuck when the wind chill is -20 is not a good event.
x 10 - I am not in a snow climate (although we have had two dustings in the past two weeks) so I was really impressed and happy with the performance of mine in CO, WY, and MT in heavy snow. Heck, I am almost itching to buy a new set, but (oh, right) these still have thousands of miles to go before they sleep.
grin.gif

**FINAL UPDATE**

I picked up a steel bar in one of them yesterday and it was the one that was replaced from the I-Beam incident. The remaining 3 had 4/32", 6/32", and 6/32" tread remaining. While I am certain the two with 6/32" would have lasted to 90K, I went ahead and replaced all of them (I only had to pay for 3 of them).

Bottom line--these tires lasted 76K miles (and would have likely lasted to 85K-90K) versus 51K for the OEM Pirelli Scorpions under the same driving conditions. For a truck tire, I will not use anything else. Although I did not expect to buy 3 new tires this morning; I like the fact that I have 4 new ones in plenty of time for the drive to Key West in early summer
cheers3.gif

I enjoyed reading this thread. Nice to see the full life of a set of tires with regular rotation and balancing.

Many people claim these tires keep their grip even as they wear down. Did you find this to be true? How would compare the ride quality and grip when they were new compared to 76k miles?

Originally Posted By: mletchworth
I enjoyed reading this thread. Nice to see the full life of a set of tires with regular rotation and balancing.

Many people claim these tires keep their grip even as they wear down. Did you find this to be true? How would compare the ride quality and grip when they were new compared to 76k miles?

Same as they were when they were new. Only reason I went ahead and replaced them was because I started to worry a little about their ability to disperse standing water in heavy rain.

They gripped and rode just as well at 76K as they did when new. No noticeable difference.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

They gripped and rode just as well at 76K as they did when new. No noticeable difference.

This has been our experience in our fleet of pickups and vans. Extremely long life and performance that does not degrade with age or miles. Truly a bargain for us as we have worn out OEM Bridgestones in 25k miles!

I have them on my Silverado for about 2k miles so far. Love them. Very smooth tire and seems to have good performance in the PNW rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back