Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
ARR dives..

Down 3.85% today.

I actually sold all my ARR. Yesterday. Sometimes a blind pig find his nuts. I was up enough and I figured it wasn't going much higher - no idea it would drop today. Pure LUCK, I freely admit.

I've been playing some of the Chinese companies on waiting for ABABA. In and OUT real quick. QIHU, CCIH, and will buy some CHL.

Got back in SDRL under $33

Anyone know much about vanguard funds?

Wife has them for her 403(b).

I've had a mix of funds, driving for low cost and forget it mode... But maybe want to be a bit more proactive. Any favorites from them?

Thoughts on VHDYX vs VDIGX?

What if I want to swap into some bond funds for a bit? Does vanguard have a good one that is recommended? I was looking at VIPSX, though it's had a bad year, but open to others. Just saw that one due to the five-star Morningstar rating...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I've had a mix of funds, driving for low cost and forget it mode... But maybe want to be a bit more proactive. Any favorites from them?

What if I want to swap into some bond funds for a bit? Does vanguard have a good one that is recommended? I was looking at VIPSX, though it's had a bad year, but open to others. Just saw that one due to the five-star Morningstar rating...

Heard good things about Vanguard in general.

I recently bought a bunch of PONDX, which should be considered...

Originally Posted By: Turk
Heard good things about Vanguard in general.

I recently bought a bunch of PONDX, which should be considered...

Hey, that doesnt fall within the rules of my question
smile.gif
wink.gif
48.gif

I do agree, that may be worth a look... But for her 403(b) I have access to all the Vanguard funds, but only them...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
ARR dives..

Down 3.85% today.

I actually sold all my ARR. Yesterday. Sometimes a blind pig find his nuts. I was up enough and I figured it wasn't going much higher - no idea it would drop today. Pure LUCK, I freely admit.

I've been playing some of the Chinese companies on waiting for ABABA. In and OUT real quick. QIHU, CCIH, and will buy some CHL.

Got back in SDRL under $33

What's the difference between blind luck and smart trading?
grin2.gif

I bought some ARR yesterday at 4.10 ..

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Bubble alert, in biotech that is (thinking about going short as I see H&S if I squint hard):

LR-140310-Fig-1.png

I covered my IBB short (via BIS) at 247 levels. Lots of money left on the table, but I'm always anxious when price goes outside BB lines.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I have my Roth IRA with Vanguard, and love them - lowest fees I can find. I actually just opened up a Personal and Brokerage account to play around with in addition to the retirement account. My first purchase was VDAIX which looks very close to the two you suggested, and almost identical to VHDYX. You can plug them all into the comparison tool on Vanguard's website.

The thing I am running into is how high the market is right now. With every fund having a close to 30% gain in 2013 it makes me think a correction is coming.

I tend to agree, which is why I think that even if interest rates are too low to justify holding bonds long, the time constant of a correction is likely to be faster than that of interest rates rising and the prices changing on bonds as a whole.

Maybe I'm way off, I haven't been paying much attention, but it seems to me that we keep bouncing off a high point. So moving some funds to bonds may be a smart move...

I took half of my retirement funds out of the market and put them money into bonds, so at least I can save a bit of what it earned 2012-2013 if the market does correct. I figured that was better than an all or nothing approach.

Ya know what stinks??

I bought BOFI in my IRA, went up well, got within where I was thinking of selling for $1000 profit when it was at +$960. ...and then it tanked. ...hard & fast, like in 2 days. Now it's sitting at a -$300 loss. The stock is barely a drop in my bucket, but still.

So, I'll just keep it.

Ever have those scenarios??

Originally Posted By: Turk
Ya know what stinks??

I bought BOFI in my IRA, went up well, got within where I was thinking of selling for $1000 profit when it was at +$960. ...and then it tanked. ...hard & fast, like in 2 days. Now it's sitting at a -$300 loss. The stock is barely a drop in my bucket, but still.

So, I'll just keep it.

Ever have those scenarios??

Yes

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I took half of my retirement funds out of the market and put them money into bonds, so at least I can save a bit of what it earned 2012-2013 if the market does correct. I figured that was better than an all or nothing approach.

Bonds or Bond Funds?

I would not have my money in Bond Funds right now. Rates go up, you take a hit every bit as bad as a stock going down.

Bonds or Bond Funds?

I would not have my money in Bond Funds right now. Rates go up, you take a hit every bit as bad as a stock going down.
If one must use Bonds or Bond Funds, Short Term are safer than Long at this time.

Originally Posted By: cjcride

Bonds or Bond Funds?

If one must use Bonds or Bond Funds, Short Term are safer than Long at this time.

Again, it's all about time constants. Will the stock market correct or interest rates change in a bad way faster?

I think we're in for a market correction faster (both in terms of inset and start to finish) then we will see interest rates adjust. I may be wrong here but that's my feeling.

So adjustment of some funds to bond may be prudent at this point. Never 100% one way or another regardless.

I'm still hanging on to ARR until it closes below 3.65. It, like other rate sensitive issues, follow........rates/treasuries. 4 bucks is my line in the sand, especially if the Fed were to actually expedite the taper and even think about raising short term rates which they hinted at. BUT, like I keep saying, for what ever reason, when the Fed stops/tapers any form of QE, rates for whatever reason drop. When they announced the first taper, 10 year yields fell quite a bit in the few weeks after it. If that keeps happening it will help rate sensitive issues like REITs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rw19
JHZR2 you have helped me on a few questions so I will break this question down for you.

Firstly mining is a very cyclical cycle. Secondly when miners cant support production they shut down the mine. When they shut down the mine prices go up. Also when prices are too low the junior companies STOP looking for new reserves when they stop looking for new reserves prices go up because we take out millions of tons of commodities out of the ground everyday. THEY NEED TO BE REPLACED.

Secondly this is true for all commodities in general all the easy stuff has been taken out we are going deeper and deeper now to retrieve them. So prices will remain high regardless and to top this all off there are almost 3 billion people aka china and india that have started to become wealthy they will want to increase there living standards. Fun fact china is now the largest auto buyer in the world.

Now that AUY is a bit lower, perhaps it's time to buy???

NUS spiked up 24% this morning & dropping, so I sold it for a 22% gain today!

Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back