Mobil 1 5W-30 HM, 7280mi - 14mths, 96 Acura 155102

Status
Not open for further replies.
***Please try to stay on topic, the topic is THIS oil. The topic is NOT waste, ROI, any other oil, opinions about maintenance plans or anything other than this oil in this report.***

The notes mentioned are that the car suffered an EGR fault, a 3m intake cleaning kit was used and later the intake was pulled and cleaned by a variety of methods including walnut shell blasting.

I spoke about it here: EGR Rant

The filter is a Bosch Distance Plus 3323 and it remains in service. I am considering running this next load of M1HM to 10,000 and think the filter would probably live for the ~roughly 17,000 miles that would entail.

Usage is almost exclusively short trips to town and back with extended periods of non-use.

VOA is HERE:

The prior runs were all Standard M1 5w/30.

Anyway, here we go:

155102.jpg

Hi Robert,

Have you ever cut open one of your oil filters to see what it looks like?

I think you should cut this current filter open if you have it. Next time when you run it for 10K (on a fresh filter) open that one too and compare. Then on the third oil change, then do what you want (20k for two oil changes).

IMO, I would just replace the filter when you do the oil. I've switched over my Wife's 97 Civic to a once a year oil change (approx 10,000 km per year) on a Napa Gold and Mobil 1 5w-30.

Regards, JC.

Hi JC,

Yes, I do usually cut them open: This is the first time I have run one twice so it will have 7280 PLUS whatever the next interval is when cut open... so I would think no less than 14,500 or so and no more than 17,280.

I suppose I could change it if we feel it is important, I have plenty of filters and enough extra oil to top it up... I was hoping to experiment with the every other change scheme.

I did notice the insolubles are the highest they have been, even though it has in the past run the much maligned OE Honda Filters. But in light of the EGR work that could be attributable to lose carbon or walnut shell remains perhaps.

This is the last one, guess I failed to post the others...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...A02#Post2861591

Last edited:
If it was me, I would run a better, at least full synthetic media, filter over the D+. I actually have 7 or 8 D+ filters for my Ram that I'm not going to run due to the recent rash of Puro/Bosch media failures, and considering the Fram Ultra is the same price or cheaper in most cases, a better deal.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If it was me, I would run a better, at least full synthetic media, filter over the D+. ...

Lot of focus on the filter.

Other than the media failures (I don't know that we have seen a D+ fail) to what end would you run a better filter from this report. In other words do you guys see something that makes you say the filter is to blame...

I won't argue that the Ultra is probably a better filter, but they didn't exist when I bought the D+

This engine is a C35a not the much more common J35 series in the Accord and so forth. I believe this is the only car sold in the US to use it. I've run the car on some european M1 sites and they seem to recommend 0w/40 (The car was a Honda legend ROW).

So I guess I could try that or just keep doing what I'm doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back