Tell me about 1st gen Kia Sorentos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Body on frame with ladder frame, V6 and rear wheel drive with part time 4x4 in a package compared to the Rav4 and CR-V looks impressive! I really like the truck like specs on a small SUV size. Anyone who owns one of these, how is it?

I just checked the 2003 model Sorrento is length wise comparable with a similar year CRV, and it's within a couple inches in width in height, but weighs close to 1000 lbs more. Holy cow.

Basically a Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Decent rig. Up to 2006 it used the Mitsubishi 3.5 V6. Good power, belt driven valvetrain.
After 2006, went to the Hyundai 3.3/3.8L Lambda V6. Better power, chain driven valvetrain.
Good vehicles if maintained. Lack of maintenance tends to result in rapid deterioration.

I had a late model one as a rental recently. All I can say is scary... My pickup truck handles better and more securely under quick lane changes and maneuvers. It did not breed confidence, and I can only imagine that the older ones are worse...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I had a late model one as a rental recently. All I can say is scary... My pickup truck handles better and more securely under quick lane changes and maneuvers. It did not breed confidence, and I can only imagine that the older ones are worse...

Actually, the old one is a completely different vehicle, basically like an old Explorer: body-on-frame, RWD. It also came in a manual, which is nice. Pretty bad fuel economy, but if that's not a deal-breaker it's not a bad vehicle. Same platform as the old Montero/Pajero.

Your experience is unique. They are normally stable and sturdy vehicles.

Originally Posted By: salv

Your experience is unique. They are normally stable and sturdy vehicles.

Others may not agree.

Quote:
Enough so that steering now seems slow, and the still too-much body roll more apparent.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2014_kia_sorento

I think this is pretty accurate:

Quote:
It actually points rather well for such a large car, thanks to a precise and sensibly geared steering rack, though there is too much body roll, not enough body control and too little grip to offer more than token entertainment.

Superficially, the Sorento actually rides quite well and will let you glide along rather comfortably on smooth surfaces. But you don’t need a country as punctuated by potholes as the UK to spot the fact that, when actually given some work to do, the suspension fails to answer the more searching questions.

It may have a modern-sounding multi-link arrangement at the back, but this is not the first time we will have observed that the raw material is not enough on its own. It has to be expertly tuned and attached to a car of great torsional strength, and somewhere in this process the Sorento has fallen a little short of what you might expect.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/kia/sorento/ride

Quote:
Despite the changes to the suspension and chassis, you won’t notice much of a difference out on the road either. The Sorento is light of steering and soft of spring. Thank the steering feel, or lack there of on a new electric power steering system. (Yes, the Sorento offers variable assist electric steering, but neither of the three modes brings extra feel with it.) Perhaps in keeping with its light-truck origins, the Sorento wears some high profile rubber, LX models start out with 235/65R17s , our EX model took things down to a still tall 235/60R18 and Limited models get 235/55R19 tires. Tall tires, light steering, soft springs and light weight roll bars allow the Sorento almost as much body roll in the curves as that GMT-360 SUV that came to mind earlier.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/05/review-2014-kia-sorento-ex-video/

It was a comfortable, decently powered vehicle. I can't recall if it was noisy or hushed, but the body roll with a fairly willing steering system made it feel uncomfortable in high speed maneuvers and situations where fast steering was needed.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE SORENTOS WITH THE 3.5L MITSU ENGINES. THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE ONE.

basically a money pit. high maintance engine. 192 hp gutless gas sucking POS.

Originally Posted By: sasha
STAY AWAY FROM THESE SORENTOS WITH THE 3.5L MITSU ENGINES. THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE ONE.

basically a money pit. high maintance engine. 192 hp gutless gas sucking POS.

lol, I think your sig says it all. Caveat, I have no experience or knowledge of these vehicles.

Last edited:
Don't get the diesel version, they have injector seal problems, that ultimately block the oil pickup and destroy the turbo. I've done a turbo on one, and done injector seals on 4, with a pickup clean on another. Apparently Kia wipe their hands of the problem, and a shop in Auckland is doing 15 a month.

I know of someone with a 2004 with 3.5

It has been relatively trouble free save for a radiator hose that popped and EVAP problems. The biggest problem is the shifter, at under 100,000 miles just wobbles around - 5 speed manual.

Good God, if Motorweek didn't like it then that's a red flag. Since they normally like anything with four wheels on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back