What is the closest tire to a Goodyear..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "closest".

I'd say BFG All Terrain KO. They're the only other AT tire I know of to carry the severe winter service rating.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Not sure exactly what you mean by "closest".

I'd say BFG All Terrain KO. They're the only other AT tire I know of to carry the severe winter service rating.

Tread pattern, ratings, etc.

Toyo Open Country AT2 tires are similar in tread pattern to Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They have similar pattern large tread blocks with siping cuts for snow/ice traction. One thing to note with Toyo AT2's is that the siping is not cut from edge to edge of each tread block, rather it is merely inlayed into the middle of each tread block. This would prevent the siping from fully opening up like on a Duratrac but would aid in a longer tread life. Toyo Open Country AT2 tires can be fitted with winter ice studs too, just like the Goodyear Duratrac. On a side note, I don't care for Goodyear's quality and safety record, but I would say the Duratrac is the best "all terrain" tire on the market today. They are awesome in deep snow, and with the addition of studs they can be great on ice too.

Last edited:
Thanks CurtisB- How are the Toyo's in snow and rain compared to the DuraTrac tires? Are they close? I haven't looked into them at all.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thanks CurtisB- How are the Toyo's in snow and rain compared to the DuraTrac tires? Are they close? I haven't looked into them at all.

I honestly have never owned Toyo Open Country AT2's before, I just did my own visual inspections of both the Duratrac and the Toyo's when I was choosing new tires for my pickups. The Duratrac has a superior siping design in my opinion. The sipe cuts start from the inside edge of each tread block in a squiggle or zigzag pattern than travel to the outside edge. The complete siping cut on the inside edge of the tread blocks, is what allows the contact surface to fully spread when it hits the road surface. This will no doubt reduce the tread life however. On the Toyo AT2's the siping cuts do not meet the outside edge of the tread blocks, rather they are just engraved into each tread block centre. In that respect the tread blocks on the Toyo's cannot spread as much as the Duratracs, which is why I would say the Duratrac will be better on snow/ice. Rain they probably perform the same and the Toyo has a longer treadlife expectancy. To correct my previous post, the Toyo Open Country AT2's are actually NOT studdable, for whatever reason I thought they where. If you google them both and inspect the tread patterns for yourself you will see they are close to the same. Another tire that is somewhat similar to the Duratrac is the Hankook Dynapro ATM, it won't be better than a Duratrac but it is much cheaper. Toyo's I believe are cheaper too.

The Kelly Safari TSR and the Fierce Attitude M/T are virtually the same tire as the DuraTrac. They are all GY made products. They are what GY calls a "Cascade" of one to/from another.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
The Kelly Safari TSR and the Fierce Attitude M/T are virtually the same tire as the DuraTrac. They are all GY made products. They are what GY calls a "Cascade" of one to/from another.

They're pretty close alright, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back