Meguiars D140 Wheel Brightener

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was detailing a 2007 328i on Sat that had severe brake dust build-up. None of the cleaners that I had on hand (OPC, Eagle 1 Wheel Cleaner, Iron-X) were successful at completely removing the build-up.

Since I had to place an order for more supplies, I ordered up a gallon of the Meguiars D140 Wheel Brightener. According to Meguiars, it is supposed to be diluted 4:1, which makes it extremely economical. Most of the reviews have stated that is does a ridiculously great job on brake dust with minimal scrubbing.

Has anyone had experience with this stuff? It appears to be fairly safe for OEM wheel finishes.

Thanks.

If its diluted a bit weaker, will it be noob friendly?
With this recent cold snap, I just soak in simple green and rinse later.
I learned the hard way about Superclean....

That wheel brightner is some powerful stuff. It's certainly not meant for casual home use. It contains Ammonium Biflouride which is corrosive and quite toxic if inhaled. I would personally not spray that stuff on wheels, brush it on to avoid inhaling the mist and also to avoid etching things like your brake rotors and calipers. Even on the Meguiars site they give right on the description it pretty much straddles the line of effectiveness and dangerous.

http://komfg.com/files/2012/02/ABF_HF1.pdf

I've never resorted to those kinds of chemicals and even on the worst wheels I've encountered claying with aggressive clay, rubbing compounds, or chrome polish have been able to easily recover the wheels from severe brake dust contamination. I knew to stay away from the corrosive cleaners because of safety concerns. Especially when detailing as a business you're exposing yourself much much more than normal.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto...er-dangers.html

Last edited:
I once had to use a mix of Prep Sol, WD40 and Auto Finesse Oblitarate to get baked on brake dust/plasti dip off the barrel of some used alloy wheels (clear coated) - It worked great and the CC finish was not harmed, and the wheels came out great.
I worked quickly though, never letting the stuff stay on the surface too long. it dissolved the gunk pretty fast with a bit of scrubbing with some wheel brushes.
I also wore goggles and a mask. That mixture was quite nasty but not as nasty as the Meg's WB sounds.

The AutoGeek forums seem to be pleased with it, but the agreement was unanimous that this is an atom-bomb approach that should be a last-resort. It is extremely powerful and does indeed borderline on being dangerous; some have suggested wearing a respirator while using it.

I just use soap and water as much as possible. I used to use Eagle one wheel cleaner a lot years ago until it finally ruined the clearcoat on my wheels. The only wheel cleaner I trust to use when needed is Griot's Garage. It is strong enough to deal with my needs yet still gentle. I think a bottle last me a year I use so little of it.

I think it says on the back label... not for use on polished aluminum. I would also be hesitant to use it on matte black wheel finishes.

I use it on chrome wheels quite a bit... works well. Stubborn break dust inner wheel area usually still requires an Iron-X style chemical and heavy brushing.

I'm using D143 (non-acid wheel and tire cleaner) for most vehicles. I pull out WB when D143 is simply not doing the job.

For BMW wheels... it definitely helps but be sure of the type of wheel you are working it on.

Working in an industry that routinely uses HF - and being trained on it - I would never use a heavy duty cleaner that relies on a heavy concentration of fluoride ions at home.

Did you also order a respirator, tyvek sleeves and calcium gluconate gel?

Simple Green Extreme Aircraft cleaner…great stuff and won't harm delicate metals or finishes.

Originally Posted By: oliver88
Simple Green Extreme Aircraft cleaner…great stuff and won't harm delicate metals or finishes.

According to their web site FAQ and personal correspondence, the Pro HD formula available at Home Depot is the same formulation, just a different color.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Working in an industry that routinely uses HF - and being trained on it - I would never use a heavy duty cleaner that relies on a heavy concentration of fluoride ions at home.

Did you also order a respirator, tyvek sleeves and calcium gluconate gel?

I'll be sure to wear gloves and be extra careful.

I had a chance to use this stuff last weekend. My mix was diluted 3:1, and I used one of those grey spraymaster “chemical-resistant” bottles.

The odor of this stuff is far less offensive than Iron-X. I sprayed it on the wheels, allowed it to soak for 15 secs and agitated with wheel woolies. All of the brake dust melted off with no effort at all.

As far as I can see, no damage was done to the wheels. One of my friends has been using this stuff exclusively for a few years at his high-end detail shop with no issues. As long as the wheels are clear-coated, there should not be any problems.

I highly recommend this stuff to anyone who’s looking for a very effective and inexpensive wheel cleaner.

Did you wet the wheels first with water? That may be a little easier on the wheels. I'd also wear some gloves and a 3m mask. Might help a bit.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Did you wet the wheels first with water? That may be a little easier on the wheels. I'd also wear some gloves and a 3m mask. Might help a bit.

I did not -- I just sprayed it a bit heavier than normal to allow for more lubrication. I was afraid that pre-rinsing the wheels would dilute the cleaner too much.

I think it's so strong that it wouldn't hurt the cleaning power and protect the wheels a bit. The directions for Stoners Tarminator state to apply it to a wet car. Same logic there.

The barrels of the wheels on my MDX have some baked on dirt/dust/crud behind the spokes. My Sonax Full Effect nor my Auto Finesse Iron Out have been able to get rid of it. Would this stuff work or is there a safer alternative?

Originally Posted By: gofast182
The barrels of the wheels on my MDX have some baked on dirt/dust/crud behind the spokes. My Sonax Full Effect nor my Auto Finesse Iron Out have been able to get rid of it. Would this stuff work or is there a safer alternative?

Are you referring to the black stuff? I have a wheel that I can test it on, but I have not had a chance to do so.

I would send you some, but I don't know how to do it safely.
lol.gif

Here's a pic. It looks more black in person (without the camera flash). Down on the right you can get a sense that much of the barrel is perfectly clean but directly behind each of the 5 spokes is this incredibly stubborn dirt that nothing has been able to break up so far. Thoughts? I was thinking of taking the wheels off so I have better access and maybe trying a light steel wool on the barrels only (I'm out of other things to try). Even though most people don't notice it bothers me because it's the only part of the car that doesn't still look brand new.

3d6fe00d-12ee-4561-85c5-bcf6d90e6ec0_zps404a940b.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe. The stuff isn't super strong at 4:1. Perhaps you can try it at full strength.

I'll research some shipping options to see if I can find a way to send some.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Maybe. The stuff isn't super strong at 4:1. Perhaps you can try it at full strength.

I'll research some shipping options to see if I can find a way to send some.

Don't worry about shipping this stuff, it's not worth the hassle. Was just hoping for a suggestion or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back