Ever gotten a speeding ticket on a bicycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeMond's time must have been from a higher to lower elevation?
It's been a while since I was on the road bike, but holding 50 kmh on the flat for a minute or two was all I could do!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
It's been a while since I was on the road bike, but holding 50 kmh on the flat for a minute or two was all I could do!

Same here, after a couple of minutes, I'm winded. Of course at 100kg, I'm built like a barn door. It gets hard moving all that wind out of the way in short order.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I never looked at that TT course's profile, nor do I remember if there was any tailwind at all.
21.gif

But I wonder if they tested him then as obsessively as they do for unbelievable performances today, even though he has ALWAYS sworn on his mother's life he was perfectly clean for his WHOLE career, and has tried to lead the way for a totally clean sport.

I watched that 'contre la montre' live on TV, and to this day, I STILL do not believe it!!
crazy2.gif

I'm pretty sure the cops around here wouldn't cite a bicyclist for speeding. If I got one I would probably frame it. Yeah, yeah, I know the rules of the road apply to bicyclists, but that's pretty asinine.

I try to set off the radar controlled "your speed" sign when I can, but I have to be pretty motivated to do it.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
Out of curiosity, does such a citation put points on your driver's license?

Because that would be stretching the bounds of rationality.

Same road, same rules. Although I do not see how it should rightfully affect your motor vehicle operators license since 1. its not a motor vehicle and 2. a license is not required to ride a bicycle.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
Out of curiosity, does such a citation put points on your driver's license?

Because that would be stretching the bounds of rationality.

Living in the self-proclaimed "bicycle capital of America," I've always been told that if one ever gets stopped on a bicycle that one should conveniently neglect to produce one's drivers license because it actually would penalize one's driving privilege.

http://daviswiki.org/Bicycling_Under_The_Influence

The same would apply to speeding.

Aside from internet mumbo-jumbo, I've never seen it actually happen.

I'd accept a bicycle speeding ticket as a badge of honor. Knowing that I am now so incredibly slow on a bicycle, it will never happen.

Around here I don't think the cops would ticket you for speeding. In fact I even stopped and asked one who was radaring... He obviously wasn't a cyclist and didn't figure a person could attain such speed (25+ mph) and if they did, it would be awfully dangerous. BAHHH!

FWIW, I've personally gone 49mph down what my wife and I affectionately call "Mt. Doom" or "The Hill of Doom" (for when we have to climb back up it) and I ran out of gear. I simply couldn't pedal any faster. I think if I was more aerodynamic and had some more gear I probably could have topped 50mph.

Maybe not to a hardcore nut like you, but to two wuss noobs like us, it's plenty long and steep. According to veloroutes.org it's about .6 miles of travel, climbing 180', making it a 5% grade.

edit: There's plenty more fun hills around here...

Another I used to ride daily is a mile long with a constantly increasing grade, ending in a max of 4%.

Last edited:
^^^I believe that the fastest any human can move his/her legs in a circle is ~220-230 rpm, by the fastest track (match), and road sprinters.

Anyone know for sure??
21.gif

Well that would leave me out of the running for worlds fastest. According to my computer, I don't think I've been over a 130 cadence. I may have hit 140 on the indoor cycle with little resistence.

If that's true, just WOW!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^I believe that the fastest any human can move his/her legs in a circle is ~220-230 rpm, by the fastest track (match), and road sprinters.

Anyone know for sure??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I have been passed on a hill by cyclists going 65MPH ...

That's freaking fast! The fastest I've ever gone is 54mph even. On the right road it's really smooth and easy.
Scott

You guys are crazy
shocked.gif
. I hit 45 mph on a 78' Honda Hobbit and it felt like it could all go wrong at any minute.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back