Think I killed my first bicycle rim

Thought I could get a bicycle ride in, dodge the rain, get a ride in this morning. Nope. No big deal to ride in the rain, right?

View from the car (from when I went back):
1688492046528.jpg

Ok, lemme see if it’s more visible if I walk up to it:
1688492106635.jpg

Ok, I guess I can see it when on foot… that’s a 2’ long level next to it (brought for reference). Don’t know why I didn’t see the spray paint. I've seen that on prior trips, not sure why I don't have every pothole memorized by now.
1688492136453.jpg

2 layers of asphalt, so there’s dirt, then a 2” layer, then further back another 2” layer. Tried to take a photo of the level measuring the depth but it didn't come out. But dragging the level through, I could easily feel both layers.

I was taking it easy, as I couldn’t see well in the rain (glasses wet), so I hit that at only 25mph (downhill section here, usually going faster). Immediately blew the front, rear was flat by the time I stopped. To say I was apoplectic might be an understatement. Cell phone has 3 bars, so I should be able to call and get a ride? Nope. Text? Nope. Walked a mile before a text got thro (didn’t feel like messing with both flats in what was now pouring rain, not when I was less than 10 miles from home, not after that hard of a hit) (unfortunately I'm 200lb these days, that's hard on a bicycle).

Rear rim, not too bad, just a small dent (not the first time this tube has been patched, time for another). The nearly brand new tire looks fine. Probably ok.
1688492188560.jpg

Front rim, bigger dent. Tire seems ok.
1688492229212.jpg

However, the two lips of the asphalt meant two hits? Looks like the weld cracked. I think the dent is from the lower level of asphalt, then I must have smack the top level right on the weld.
1688492257147.jpg

Not easy to see here but the other side has a similar but shorter crack.
1688492270871.jpg

Methinks it’s new rim time.

Thought I could get a bicycle ride in, dodge the rain, get a ride in this morning. Nope. No big deal to ride in the rain, right?

View from the car (from when I went back):
View attachment 164896

Ok, lemme see if it’s more visible if I walk up to it:
View attachment 164897

Ok, I guess I can see it when on foot… that’s a 2’ long level next to it (brought for reference). Don’t know why I didn’t see the spray paint. I've seen that on prior trips, not sure why I don't have every pothole memorized by now.
View attachment 164899

2 layers of asphalt, so there’s dirt, then a 2” layer, then further back another 2” layer. Tried to take a photo of the level measuring the depth but it didn't come out. But dragging the level through, I could easily feel both layers.

I was taking it easy, as I couldn’t see well in the rain (glasses wet), so I hit that at only 25mph (downhill section here, usually going faster). Immediately blew the front, rear was flat by the time I stopped. To say I was apoplectic might be an understatement. Cell phone has 3 bars, so I should be able to call and get a ride? Nope. Text? Nope. Walked a mile before a text got thro (didn’t feel like messing with both flats in what was now pouring rain, not when I was less than 10 miles from home, not after that hard of a hit) (unfortunately I'm 200lb these days, that's hard on a bicycle).

Rear rim, not too bad, just a small dent (not the first time this tube has been patched, time for another). The nearly brand new tire looks fine. Probably ok.
View attachment 164900

Front rim, bigger dent. Tire seems ok.
View attachment 164902

However, the two lips of the asphalt meant two hits? Looks like the weld cracked. I think the dent is from the lower level of asphalt, then I must have smack the top level right on the weld.
View attachment 164903

Not easy to see here but the other side has a similar but shorter crack.
View attachment 164904

Methinks it’s new rim time.
I hope you didn't get dinged.

Glad you weren't hurt!

I have a few damaged wheels around to harvest spokes from.
Spoke tension stills pretty good. Just put the rear on, and its a bit more out true than before, but I’m not sure I want touch tension just yet.

I pulled out a spare front and put that on, rim might be fine with that split, but eh.

Go figure, sun is out in full force now, and the roads look dry too.

They probably are pinned rims, so hammering them straight would be a bit risky/tricky right at the seam. Away from the seam, carefully hammering them straight again isn’t a big deal. The aluminum is pretty soft.

The spoke tension would hold a rim together even with that seam. Rims are commonly pinned for alignment (and sometimes welded) I'd be concerned for the mismatched brake track causing the brake to grab. How does the spoke side of the rim look ?

I lived on my bicycle when young, so I know about falling etc.
I must be getting old because I too am thinking, "Screw the wheels. Be glad, you didn't get ****ed up"

The spoke tension would hold a rim together even with that seam. Rims are commonly pinned for alignment (and sometimes welded) I'd be concerned for the mismatched brake track causing the brake to grab. How does the spoke side of the rim look ?
Don't recall seeing anything, but am replacing regardless. Wheels cheap, bones skin and teeth ain't. I mean, it's not an expensive set of Zipp's. Coworker who also bikes said he'd give me a set of wheels he doesn't use, so I can put what's left into spares.

I lived on my bicycle when young, so I know about falling etc.
I must be getting old because I too am thinking, "Screw the wheels. Be glad, you didn't get ****ed up"
I've had few accidents. I recall jumping over the handlebars like twice, and I think only once while in college did I take a spill. [Now watch me fall over when I forget to unclip.]

What kind of wheel is is? I've built my own wheels in a 3-cross pattern, but only successfully for fronts. Tried a rear and I couldn't dish it properly. I had a copy of The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt.

I don't any of that works with all these new style spoked wheels that are purpose built with specific components that aren't universal. I think they can be repaired if a spoke breaks, but I heard they're usually sold as a set made at a factory and not built as separate hubs, rims, and spokes.

Shimano R-W500, something like that. Nothing fancy. I think less than 32 spoke count but not by much.

Bike is a 3x9 setup, again nothing fancy.

Have not felt the need yet to tackle building wheels yet.

A garage door came down on a 26" Schwinn wheel creasing it badly. I got a bare rim and installed the spokes and hub.
It came out well.
The oddest thing was after balancing (as well ass I could) and getting it all even regarding tension etc., the threaded ends of the spokes were at all different lengths poking into where the tube needed to live.
I ground them down.

Does "R-W500" mean your wheels are 500mm in diameter?

Remembered it wrongly, WH-R500. 700c wheels, so 700mm diam.

Right...they're 'all' 700mm now-a-days, yes?
No, there is a bit of a need for 650 for shorter riders I suspect, but probably not common. I the the 29’er craze is 700c is disguise for the MTB crowd, who for a long time were 26”.

But that aside, I do believe all road bikes are 700 these days, yes.

Be glad you weren't injured, and the wheel failed gracefully not catastrophically.
Definitely condemn and discard those rims. As for replacements, it's more fun to build your own wheels, and you can keep the hubs. But new wheels aren't too expensive either. If you buy rather than build, just ensure they're the right axle length, offset, freehub, etc.

Coworker is giving me a set of Vuelta? Comp? not sure model but they look fast.

... But that aside, I do believe all road bikes are 700 these days, yes.
Pretty much, yes that is the rule. Of course there's always some company doing something wacky but those are the rare exceptions that prove the rule.

No, there is a bit of a need for 650 for shorter riders I suspect, but probably not common. I the the 29’er craze is 700c is disguise for the MTB crowd, who for a long time were 26”.

But that aside, I do believe all road bikes are 700 these days, yes.
They have the 29er mountain bikes, but almost as common are 27.5 inch mountain bikes
27.5 inches is the same as 700c

I remember one time as a kid.. maybe 10-12.. riding and my shoe came untied.. I wasnt in a hurry to tie it.. then found myself laying in the road on my back with bike on top of me..... yep it got tangled up in the wheel.

Luckily as a kid you bounce.. at 40 you splat.

Back